Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:47 pm

Author Topic: Thinking of selling up  (Read 5553 times)

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
Thinking of selling up
« on: 04 October 2013, 01:30:21 pm »
Hello,
     I have owned my fazer 1000 for over 9 years now, and its gone from 7000 miles to 28000 miles, its been a great bike, but lately I am hardly using the the bike anymore, and I am thinking maybes its because I need a change?

I am considering selling up and going for either a 990SMT or a Super Tenere 1200.

I have done an awful lot to the fazer over the years and its pretty much fully fettled including:

wilbers highest spec rear shock
R1 forks with custom offset yoke to cancel out the shorter fork legs
ivans jet kit
Mivv carbon exhaust
K&N air filter
short levers
handgaurds
front and rear carbon fender (or muguards as we call them in england :)  )
LED rear light.
Givi rear rack and top box.

The bike has never ever let me down and other than consumables its just been a set of rear wheel bearings that I have had to replace.

Question is, its an 02 Fazer with all these bits on, is it worth my while returning it to standard and selling everything seperate, or do you think its worth a punt selling it with everything on?

The bike is clean and I have been offered £2200 as a trade as a stock bike. I would like to clear £3000 for the complete package.

I hope I don't regret it, but I think I need something fresh to re ignite my love for biking.

« Last Edit: 04 October 2013, 01:35:04 pm by coxylaad »

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of selling up
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2013, 02:00:37 pm »
SACRE BLEU..........if you can afford it stick it to the back of the garage as you've done all the work to a great bike to make it even better........you'll be hard pushed to find better.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2013, 02:53:08 pm »
Im with BBB, store it & come back to it in a couple of years...

Mind you i wish i had bought an already modded 600...the cost of modding really does bump the spending up..if i was to buy again this is just the sort of bike id be looking at..no more modding or spending..just buy & ride!....but would i be willing to pay the extra to get the one with the mods....yes i would pay a little extra but a buyer is always looking to take advantage of the spending you've already done.

My advice would be to list the mods & how much they'd cost someone to do themselves.

Then list a typical price for a standard bike on similar mileage..& demonstrate how much they are saving to buy already modded.people in the know about Fazers will like the mods....people new to Fazers will prob be looking for more standard bikes.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 October 2013, 03:14:17 pm »
i am just not going out on it, so I am not sure what the point of keeping it would be at the moment?

Davebo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - None
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 October 2013, 03:19:55 pm »
See here ->
Yamaha Fazer 1000 vs BMW R1200GS

:D

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 October 2013, 03:27:07 pm »
yeah I have watch that quite a few times in the past, but to be honest I don't see what hes getting at. my dad has a 56 plate R1200GS and I have ridden it quite a bit. I dont see any of the issues that he has had. its a lot lazier bike, but it can still motor on if you tell it too.

I want something that I can use every day if necessary, so for me a taller bike fits the bill nicely.
If money was no object I would go out and buy a brand new super tenere and be done with it, but that is a lot of coin.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 October 2013, 05:14:35 pm »
I'm not entirely sure I understand the nature of the question  :rolleyes
Are you asking if you should sell your bike with the mods or without or are you just asking if you should sell it ?
Good advice has been given about putting the Fazer to the back of the garage if you have fallen out of love with it at the moment and if you are able to buy something else aswell I would suggest that route. That way you are able to go back to your already modded Fazer if you decide the new bike isn't for you. Could it also be that you just need a break from biking altogether. What is it that your Fazer doesn't do that you think something else will ? 
2 points of brutal reality though,
1) Will you regret selling your Fazer ?   At some point, Yes.
2) Is your modded Fazer worth a lot more than a standard one ? Don't expect to get back anywhere near the amount you have spent on the mods.
Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 October 2013, 06:17:44 pm »
I'm pretty sure you would agree that you have a good bike there. A different bike may spice things up for you. But, in my experience, once you have a good bike, set up the way you like it, it becomes more about what you do with it. Have you been touring here or abroad? Have you tackled all kinds of different roads and routes on it? Have you done any track days? Been on a camping trip, explored everywhere you can go, taken it up a drag strip, set yourself a challenge, eg, longest ride in a day, charity rides, group ride outs etc etc? For me, these are the things that keep me riding, it's just about keeping it varied/interesting - who's to say, maybe you'll go to all the trouble of selling, get the latest whatever, then that will just sit in the garage?
And besides all this, winter is coming so it'll be a buyers market. Why not have a break from riding through the winter and then see if you get the itch to get out on it again next spring? If not, you'll likely get more for it as a new summer approaches than now.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 October 2013, 06:19:30 pm »
dont do it i sold my fz1 and  bought a gsx1250fa because the wife didnt like the fazer  :'( should never had done it.

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 October 2013, 12:34:45 am »
I am fancying a big enduro bike, and weirdly - something that doesnt feel as heavy. I have recently built myself a TRX900 track back and that is light and nimble as you would expect, but I have also ridden a R1200GS and that felt lighter than the Fazer? probably down to the weight distribution.

I want something with better weather protection as I plan on using the bike through the winter. In a recent trip to scotland we rode through the rain and I got completely drenched while my dad on his GS was relatively dry apart from his feet.

I have done track days on this bike, I have toured Scotland, camped etc etc. I am just finding the bike and specifically the engine a little soulless. might be just me but the trx twin despite having half the power really feels alive. the speed triple I rode was the same in a different way.

ah I dunno really. I have almost decided to drop a bit of cash onto a super tenere or a gs. I thought about a multistrada 1200 but they are not that reliable and to be honest I dont want that sort of power on the road now. I am definitely not bother about  sport bike levels of engine performance, just a nice lump of mid range torque.

ogri48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XJR1300 , evo fatty
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 October 2013, 12:45:33 am »
Sounds like a good bike you have there mate, hopefully if you do sell it someone here will go for it with that spec.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 05 October 2013, 10:26:09 am »
I am fancying a big enduro bike, and weirdly - something that doesnt feel as heavy. I have recently built myself a TRX900 track back and that is light and nimble as you would expect, but I have also ridden a R1200GS and that felt lighter than the Fazer? probably down to the weight distribution.

I want something with better weather protection as I plan on using the bike through the winter. In a recent trip to scotland we rode through the rain and I got completely drenched while my dad on his GS was relatively dry apart from his feet.

I have done track days on this bike, I have toured Scotland, camped etc etc. I am just finding the bike and specifically the engine a little soulless. might be just me but the trx twin despite having half the power really feels alive. the speed triple I rode was the same in a different way.

ah I dunno really. I have almost decided to drop a bit of cash onto a super tenere or a gs. I thought about a multistrada 1200 but they are not that reliable and to be honest I dont want that sort of power on the road now. I am definitely not bother about  sport bike levels of engine performance, just a nice lump of mid range torque.

Seems to me there are plenty of good bikes out there these days, you are spoilt for choice. Lots of bikes I would have as well as my gen1, none I would have instead! But good luck with your choice and I hope you find something that injects the fun back into it all, good luck with the sale too.  :)

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 October 2013, 11:12:15 am »
I am fancying a big enduro bike, and weirdly - something that doesnt feel as heavy. I have recently built myself a TRX900 track back and that is light and nimble as you would expect, but I have also ridden a R1200GS and that felt lighter than the Fazer? probably down to the weight distribution. I want something with better weather protection as I plan on using the bike through the winter. In a recent trip to scotland we rode through the rain and I got completely drenched while my dad on his GS was relatively dry apart from his feet.

Tiger sport???
« Last Edit: 05 October 2013, 11:15:02 am by seangee »
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 October 2013, 12:35:57 pm »
I thought about a multistrada 1200 but they are not that reliable and to be honest I dont want that sort of power on the road now. I am definitely not bother about  sport bike levels of engine performance, just a nice lump of mid range torque.

Multistrada not reliable? What makes you say that? If you're just going on past Ducati models, they've improved out of all recognition in the last 10 years, if it's the odd cylinder head problem on the first batch of Multistradas, then those have been solved.

The first edition of any new model has problems - Honda, the supposed most reliable mark in biking, have had huge problems with the VFR1200, total engine failures, shaft drives locking up, and some owners have had 5 or more rear shocks replaced. Also, judging by the number of shaft drive failures on BMW1200GS's and legions of other problems reported on other forums, BMWs aren't that reliable either. In fact, I suspect that BMW probably make the most unreliable and fault prone bikes of all the major manufacturers. The early versions of the K1600 and S1000RR have had big engine problems too.

Get the SuperTen, I say. I reckon Yamaha make the most reliable bikes out there, not the best finished perhaps, but they're better than all the other manufacturers for longevity. My Fazer just sailed through it's 10th MOT at 110,995 miles ...

blackcabbie

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - rd350lc, rd400c
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2013, 01:09:29 pm »
I get what you say about the fazer.  It's fast but can feel a bit dull at times.  My 350 lc is more  fun for sure. I've had mine new since 2004. I just saw a race blue mt 09 and I want one
« Last Edit: 05 October 2013, 01:20:47 pm by blackcabbie »

boxer1

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - gen 1 fazer 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 05 October 2013, 07:04:02 pm »
Sold my mint lava red 05 model last year, worst mistake i,ve made in 33 years of biking  :'( tried to buy it back but dealer sold a day before i went back for it.... you live and learn  :\

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 05 October 2013, 08:30:36 pm »
I also preferred the 'character' of my ancient TRX850, perhaps you're not inspired by inline fours but by other engine layouts

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 October 2013, 11:22:31 pm »
I think that's it you know. Been out on the TRX today, it was a blast. And weirdly it felt more comfortable?
I thought the TRX would compliment the fazer, but I am not sure as of yet.

I am not going to anything stupid just yet, I am going to make to effort to get out on the fazer whenever I can.
If it still doesn't float my boat then it may have to go.

fazer-rat

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - thunderace
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 October 2013, 08:45:25 am »
we all do it,, get a bit bored of the whole biking thing and we think its the bike.  it isn't its just us a bit played out with it all.  i let my fully sorted fazer go and had busa, bandit, tl1000, r1, 600 fazer, thunderace and allsorts.  i was still a bit bored of it all so i had a year of not really riding at all.  then i came back to it and guess what i have now.  the fazer is all things to all people and if you sell yours you will regret it massively in a couple of years.  take a year off and then see how much you like the fazer when you come back.  cos if you dont you'll end up eventually buying another and having it all to do again m8.  ;)

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 October 2013, 12:11:12 pm »
See here ->

:D

Roadcraft found a bike to get him back into biking after selling his fazer 1000  ;)   Aprilia tuono v4r. He has a couple of posts about them on you tube
[size=78%]
First Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC ride (bleeped out sweary word)
[/size]
« Last Edit: 06 October 2013, 12:18:40 pm by nickodemon »
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 October 2013, 12:41:01 pm »
Made my mind up gsx1250fa is going and im gonna be looking for a nice gen1.which is what I should have done in the first place  :rolleyes

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 October 2013, 08:26:38 pm »
Made my mind up gsx1250fa is going and im gonna be looking for a nice gen1.which is what I should have done in the first place  :rolleyes

A beautiful example here Kitcrazy, at an excellent price:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10169.0.html

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 October 2013, 09:32:10 pm »

A beautiful example here Kitcrazy, at an excellent price:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10169.0.html

It's a nice example in the best colour! ;)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

coxylaad

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - TRX900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 October 2013, 11:34:48 pm »
you could have mine for 3k fully fettled!

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 07 October 2013, 10:58:27 am »
bikes now up on autotrader so fingers crossed it sells.not a great time of year to be selling bikes.