Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:30 pm

Author Topic: Fellow IT geeks - do you recognise this?  (Read 2684 times)

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fellow IT geeks - do you recognise this?
« on: 29 September 2013, 06:05:33 am »
So I thought I'd update the test database for foc-u as it's been a few months since I last did it. So logged into cpanel, made a backup (I do this regularlyish anyway) dropped the test database tables, restored the backup, looked at the test site and - hang on, all the postings are from May!! Looked at the database and the posts table's latest item is indeed dated May.

Scratch head.

Well on my laptop I have ZendServer. So transfer the backup file, create a database, restore the backup, look at the postings table and... the latest one's from May.

Scratch head.

I must have messed up taking the backup, used the test database because I had it on my mind to restore to.

Take another backup, go to the test database, drop the tables, restore the backup and, no :( The latest post is from May.

Look at everything. Carefully. Go away, touch the ground, come back. Aaahhh I can see the problem - we changed server in May, and my cpanel bookmark still points to the old server :pc

So not only have I wasted half hour or so but, as a bonus, all the backups I have taken since May have been of exactly the same out-of-date database :D Go on, tell me you've done something this stupid :pc

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Fellow IT geeks - do you recognise this?
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2013, 07:17:16 am »
Nope !!!! :b

Well,,, i did forget to secure the bonnet on my Ford Capri once,,,,that frightens you when you are doing 50 and it comes up.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2013, 07:44:32 am »
:lol :lol :lol

Years and years ago I was driving a Bedford van with a mate and telling him Bedford were part of General Motors. When he didn't believe me I took the key out and gave it to him to see the GM imprinted on it. The road bent to the left, I steered left, the steering lock came on and as we drifted toward oncoming traffic I said "GIVE ME THE KEY GIVE ME THE KEY"!!!!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 September 2013, 08:35:39 am »
thank your lucky stars you havent needed a backup since may or you would have been up shit creek without a paddle! (but aye, we have all done it :lol)

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 September 2013, 10:02:22 am »
A few years ago when we were upgrading our webserver, Looking through the window of the server room I could see it had finished the upgrade and I decided to give it one final reboot before putting it back online. :) Logged in remotely from my desktop and rebooted it, within 30 seconds, phones started hopping,  :rolleyes  I had rebooted the mail server by mistake. I had put in 24 instead of 25 in the last octet of the  IP address. :wall  After that I put the server names on the destop wallpaper.
Yes I guess we all did something foolish sometime

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 September 2013, 10:19:41 am »
I've pulled the wrong esx host out of an enclosure before :D  In my defence I was told it was in bay 2 but it wasn't  :\   It did prove HA and fault tolerance worked though  :D

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 29 September 2013, 06:22:47 pm »
With my manager many years ago in the server room and unplugged the main file server instead of the one next to it that we were meant to be taking out the rack.

On another occasion, removing a token ring network panel from the rack, dislodged the main ring cable taking out the whole head office.

Not anything as silly as backing up the wrong server though :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2013, 07:20:01 pm »
And the final kicker is that the problem I was going to investigate doesn't exist anymore. Hilarious!

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2013, 11:22:53 pm »
Once dropped a database on my test server that I didn't recognise. Use this server for proofs of concept etc so do this a lot. And of course I don't back it up as it really only is for testing. Turned out this DB was to test a CMS I didn't know because a client insisted on it. Thing is, for the test I migrated my personal website, liked the result so deleted the original and left the DNS pointing at my test server.

Luckily it was just the family snapshot site (and the pics were hosted elsewhere) - so I let it run off the cache for about a year before moving back to a proper server and a CMS I knew. :o
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

HazzaBui

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 October 2013, 02:20:34 pm »
Was on a HyperV host, and the network bridge adapter didn't look quite right, so I disabled it to make some configuration changes.
I was RDP'd in :/
It was my first week.

Luckily things just got better from there ha

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 October 2013, 02:20:27 pm »
Stupidest thing I've done recently is to remove an old user account on my home server (running Fedora) and forgot that it had a share drive mounted in the home directory... unfortunately this meant that the user removal was quite happily churning through the share folder deleting anything it could see... not my best moment :(

Thankfully I realised after 10-15 seconds otherwise nearly 4TB of data would have been lost - managed to replace some of the missing files but anything else that got deleted I haven't the faintest idea what it was... I'll find out when I need it...

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2013, 01:31:25 am »
It can't have been that important or it'd be backed up  ;)

Thought of another one, although it wasn't me... we were migrating from our old EVA san to a nice shiney new 3par when someone (my boss, the IT manager :D) decides to delete the san volume, thinking everything was off it.  Everything was, except the vcentre server which hadn't finished migrating  :rolleyes   Thankfully the database was on a different server so it wasn't hard to build up another one, but it was a pain in the arse for it to happen an hour before I was going home.
« Last Edit: 03 October 2013, 01:34:44 am by Lawrence »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2013, 10:09:20 am »
Unfortunately, that was the backup :|

I have an annoying situation where I keep running out of space... so not everything is in duplicate across all of my drives. Mostly I was protecting against hardware failure (the 4TB is a RAID 5 volume)... there's no accounting for human stupidity :(

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2013, 01:20:44 pm »

Unfortunately, that was the backup :|

I have an annoying situation where I keep running out of space... so not everything is in duplicate across all of my drives. Mostly I was protecting against hardware failure (the 4TB is a RAID 5 volume)... there's no accounting for human stupidity :(
It's not a backup if it's the only copy ;)
I have a buffalo terastation going spare if you're interested, ~2.7tb raid 5 :D

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2013, 02:47:33 pm »
Could definitely be interested...

Hard Drives are biggest expense these days :(

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 18 October 2013, 08:19:51 am »
 :rolleyes  erm i'm not going to admit to anything that may incriminate me in any way shape or form!!!!

however the fact i've just come back from Afghanistan where we were installing a major upgrade (no thats not a military person!) and it was all running smoothly until ..... it didn't ...... it had nothing to do with the fact I may or may not have accidently leaned on the emergency stop button whilst having a crafty smoke.  :o

luckily it was early hours of the morning and was able to bring the system back up ish before anything major happened!

nor have I ever sat on the keyboard leading to a system therefore inputting more than 19 character inputs at once and causing a very major system to crash! noo sir wasn't me, couldn't have been me sir.  :rolleyes
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 18 October 2013, 08:38:39 am »
Ah, the e-stop buttons convineiently placed at hip height so when you step back from the server rack as you slide a big old Ra82 disk out to do something you accidentally bump into. No, I have never done anything like that :whistle
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again