Date: 18-05-24  Time: 18:06 pm

Author Topic: Shiny vs Filthy  (Read 15586 times)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Shiny vs Filthy
« Reply #25 on: 08 April 2016, 08:49:35 pm »
I suppose if I had to commute on it in all weathers then I wouldn't be so bothered as I would be fighting a loosing battle but I only ride in the dry and its clean and so I like to keep it like that - it can get quite dusty sometimes  just look at this filth

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Stewie

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - Versys 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 08 April 2016, 09:15:35 pm »
Thats disgusting man, how dare you post such filth!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 08 April 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
That looks like 5 months of garage dust  :pokefun
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 April 2016, 02:53:56 pm »
I wash my bike about once or twice a year. sometimes bits get accidentally cleaned when being replaced or checked  :\
I live on a farm and have about a mile of dirt track before I get to Tarmac. so washing it is pretty much a waste of time.
I did pressure wash it off the other day, so there is now a space between the exhaust manifolds and the engine block again. forgot the oil filter was down there :eek , it's been so long since I've seen it  :lol
I take a pride it the filth on my bike purely to wind up the people who spend more on trick bits and polish than they do on what they put in the petrol in the tank  :evil

I don't s'pose it'd really bother you anyway but when i resprayed my engine a few years back i jetwashed it first and it literally blew the engine paint off, so i would say to others to be careful about ever using one.
Plus water tends to get in places that you don't want, i remember my airhorn sounding like nails down a chalkboard for 3 days until it dried out.  :lol

Worry about engine paint  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 April 2016, 03:31:31 pm »

Worry about engine paint  :rollin :rollin :rollin

I am strangely turned on by those pics  :eek   :lol

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 April 2016, 03:36:24 pm »
You should have seen it before I washed it  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 11 April 2016, 03:43:21 pm »
This is what I was on about, obviously bits were sanded down afterwards but the water was not kind at all to the paintwork.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,8354.msg82143.html#msg82143
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 11 April 2016, 06:45:35 pm »
You should have seen it before I washed it  ;)

Shameful, :eek but underneath all that crap is a great bike trying to get out. :lol

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 11 April 2016, 09:06:28 pm »
the bike gets out,  :b
how else do you think it gets covered in crap  :rolleyes
They for riding not polishing  :evil

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 11 April 2016, 10:16:59 pm »
This is my unmolested, one owner, out all year round, 86000 miler. :eek
It gets out a lot in all weather :lol

Razgruff

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Yamaha TT600R XS750
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 11 April 2016, 10:42:03 pm »
One trip up the drive to the farm I live on and it wouldn't be so clean. :lol
 Even riding the roads around here it wouldn't be.
Unless I van the bike for 5 miles until I get to roads with out field gates where tractors are forever bring the field to the road.
Muck is just how it is around here, trying to fight it is pointless  :\

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 11 April 2016, 11:05:52 pm »
Sounds a bit like where I live,  :b the only difference, I don't live on a farm and one of the three roads I can use is reasonable clean most of the time. :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 12 April 2016, 09:36:18 am »

And you think, I can't ride it now or it'll get dirty again, and all that work will have been for nothing!   :eek    :wall

That's uncanny Hedge how the fuck did you see inside my head and read my thought and reasoning pattern. I agree wholeheartedly with your quote/statement above.

Fine spray hose the the bike down leave it while slurping a cup of tea, it softens the dirt, shampoo bike with Auto Glym shampoo and nice warm water, hose spray rinse, dry off completely with a number of micropor towels. Then polish the paintwork (that's SILVER paintwork the fastest colour) with the only polish I would allow near my beloved, yes of course Auto Glym and buff to a high gloss. Auto Glym plastic and bumper gell on side panels, mirror backs, fairing infill panels and around instrument panel. Looking good. Now where did I put that tube of Autosol lets get them rear alloy peg hangers polished and that stainless Steel work polished, ahhh! that's better, Right now for the wheels WD sprayed onto a rag and wheels cleaned (gets the chain lube off the rear wheel) dry off and on with the Auto Glym dark paintwork polish quick buff up and the jobs-a-gudun. Plastic polish on headlight lenses and screen, remove smears from mirrors and I do believe I have done. Start to finish 1.5 hours and loved every minute of it. Better get the bike put away as I have heard it might rain the day after tomorrow.

Lol what a sad twat. But it gives me soooooo much joy, I love seeing my beloved looking her best.
Well it's either that or masterbation and the bike takes about 90 times as long.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 12 April 2016, 10:07:52 am »

Looking good, shame about the colour. 86k good going. Had many issues over the years unfazed. I have to say the bike looks sharp.  :photo

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 12 April 2016, 11:11:24 am »

Now where did I put that tube of Autosol lets get them rear alloy peg hangers polished

I'm puzzling over something to do with this at the moment. All my previous Fazers, I've polished the rear peg hangers with Autosol, and they seemed to dull down very quickly again. But the current bike, I've not touched with the stuff, and the peg hangers have remained shiny and clean with just hosing off and a quick wipe with a rag. So I'm wondering if the peg hangers are lacquered in their original form, and over-zealous polishing takes that lacquer off, and maybe I just now happen to have a bike where the previous owner hasn't touched the hangers with anything more than water or a mild detergent, leaving the finish intact.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 12 April 2016, 06:57:26 pm »

Looking good, shame about the colour. 86k good going. Had many issues over the years unfazed. I have to say the bike looks sharp.  :photo

As least mine has a colour :thumbup yours is still in primer awaiting your decision to paint it some colour :lol

3 problems in all that time,

1. The dreaded sprocket nut issue where Danfay the Irish Yamaha dealers Focced up and did not repair it properly leading to them supplying all the parts requires to repair it at half price when I lost the plot with them at the 72000 mile mark. I posted my own fix in the downloads section. It has been fine since.

2. A burned connector from the ignition switch under the tank and I replace it at around 50,000 miles.

3. Clutch cable changed at 60,000 as it started fraying.

Changed the clutch at 40000 miles and the camchain at 50,000 miles, Hard riding and track days took its toll on both, still as quite as a mouse.
Only modifications K&N filter at 3000 miles, Hagon rear shock, progressive front springs at 20,000 miles with 15w oil. scottoiler.
New Motad downpipes since the picture was taken last year. When I changed the downpipes, I removed the sump to check the pick up filter as the pipes were off, see picture and this was at 84000 miles.
Oil changed every 4000 miles and filter every 8000 with out fail.
It has been down the road 3 times, once my own fault  (made the wrong choice out of 3) the other two due to the actions of others. :'(

I have never used polish on it, I  using Autoglym to clean, wash it down and when dry cover the Tyres and Discs which old sheets and spray the lot with WD40. (5 liter can and spray bottle) Wipe it off the paint and plastics and end can and leave it burn into the engine and down pipes. It keeps the engine shiny and stops rust taking hold.
Would not sell it for anything, love the 1000 but the 600 is just special. :)

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 13 April 2016, 08:23:09 am »
Wow the inside of that lump looks pristine unfazed, scavenge pump filter looks spotless. Wonder what mine looks like inside at 34K.
 Since I have owned the bike the oil has been changed along with the oil filter every 4000 miles, not sure about any previous history. The only thing I have noticed is a very slight rattle from the clutch basket and pulling in the clutch lever quietens it down (it has done this ever since I purchased the bike 3 years ago) I mentioned it to my mechanics and they said it was fairly normal and nothing to be concerned about at all, one of the mechanics rides a boxeye and he said that he replaced the whole clutch trying to stop his from rattling to no avail, his rattles worse than mine.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 13 April 2016, 04:46:27 pm »

Now where did I put that tube of Autosol lets get them rear alloy peg hangers polished

I'm puzzling over something to do with this at the moment. All my previous Fazers, I've polished the rear peg hangers with Autosol, and they seemed to dull down very quickly again. But the current bike, I've not touched with the stuff, and the peg hangers have remained shiny and clean with just hosing off and a quick wipe with a rag. So I'm wondering if the peg hangers are lacquered in their original form, and over-zealous polishing takes that lacquer off, and maybe I just now happen to have a bike where the previous owner hasn't touched the hangers with anything more than water or a mild detergent, leaving the finish intact.

Strange my alloy work dulls over a few weeks and needs polishing again, I don't mind doing it but would be better if I did not have to.
The old Autosol brings it up well. I remember years ago it was called Solvo Autosol, and the engine cases of my BSA 650cc Super Rocket A10 used shine like chrome, my nails were always black from the mixture of alloy and Autosol, used to get most of it off fumbling with the G\F's bra strap, much to her annoyance, the discoloured bra strap not my fumbling.  :lol :sex [size=78%]      [/size]

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 13 April 2016, 04:49:52 pm »
Polished last weekend.

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 13 April 2016, 09:17:52 pm »
Wow the inside of that lump looks pristine unfazed, scavenge pump filter looks spotless. Wonder what mine looks like inside at 34K.
 Since I have owned the bike the oil has been changed along with the oil filter every 4000 miles, not sure about any previous history. The only thing I have noticed is a very slight rattle from the clutch basket and pulling in the clutch lever quietens it down (it has done this ever since I purchased the bike 3 years ago) I mentioned it to my mechanics and they said it was fairly normal and nothing to be concerned about at all, one of the mechanics rides a boxeye and he said that he replaced the whole clutch trying to stop his from rattling to no avail, his rattles worse than mine.

I was pleasantly surprised myself when I saw the inside. All the clutches rumble some bit and it is worse if carbs are out of synch. I have heard a few rattle slightly but never see it to be a problem.

Strange my alloy work dulls over a few weeks and needs polishing again, I don't mind doing it but would be better if I did not have to.
The old Autosol brings it up well. I remember years ago it was called Solvo Autosol, and the engine cases of my BSA 650cc Super Rocket A10 used shine like chrome, my nails were always black from the mixture of alloy and Autosol, used to get most of it off fumbling with the G\F's bra strap, much to her annoyance, the discoloured bra strap not my fumbling.  :lol :sex [size=78%]      [/size]

The footrests hangers on my 1000 are definitely lacquered, never noticed it on the 600 hangers

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 13 April 2016, 10:20:48 pm »
Cheers for the info confirming what I have been told about the clutches often having a rattle, it is detectable but not offensive or loud, but defo there, so it's good to have it confirmed, appreciate it.
Have just ordered the correct nut and washer for the front sprocket, I thought that I had ordered the correct upgrade nut and washer a year or so ago but try as hard as I dared I could not get the old nut undone, I was afraid of stripping the thread on the shaft.

Well on reading lots about it on here I find that the nut that Yamaha sent me was the original 9mm nut not the upgraded 12mm job, so just ordered the 12mm nut and washer separate packages. the codes are as follows:

[/size]Nut 12mm part number 90179-18006
Washer part number      90215-21290

What is the knack of getting the nut off. I tried with a mate sat on the bike in first gear with rear brake on and front on as well, I gave up cos I was worried that something would snap, I had a 32mm (I think) socket and an 600mm bar and thought I was to bust a blood vessel, maybe I just being a whooos. 

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 13 April 2016, 11:55:29 pm »
Yamaha also do a Sprocket nut and Washer Kit part number 90891-10124 (all in one packet) Torque setting for new nut is 90Nm

Might be loctited or rusted on, an air or electric impact wrench should shift it.

Last resort method, take off the chain guard/hugger, put a lump of wood in through the spokes on top of the swinging arm. Flatten off the tab washer,  1/2 inch drive T bar with  socket and a scaffolding bar on the T bar will shift it  :lol
« Last Edit: 14 April 2016, 12:16:50 am by unfazed »

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 April 2016, 08:24:12 am »
Here's a pic of my home made bar ends, not looking too shiny it has to be said- particularly the one that took the spill in the BP forecourt a while back. I've ordered a simple domed ended black pair from demon tweeks for a fiver with free delivery! At that price it's not worth me making a new set or re-skimming the old ones.

« Last Edit: 14 April 2016, 08:25:32 am by celticdog »
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 15 April 2016, 09:14:08 am »
Tommy - bad news fella. You're pristine bike has just been moved from the "pristine" category to the "in need of improvement" category. The neglect of your bike is highlighted below - the weekend is coming so we require improvement pics by Monday (cotton wool buds may help).  :lol :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 15 April 2016, 01:04:09 pm »
Tommy - bad news fella. You're pristine bike has just been moved from the "pristine" category to the "in need of improvement" category. The neglect of your bike is highlighted below - the weekend is coming so we require improvement pics by Monday (cotton wool buds may help).  :lol :lol

I stand corrected with my head hanging in shame, I could try to justify the situation by saying that it is still a work in progress, but, alas I would just be making excuses for the sloppy and tiresome manner in which I conduct myself, I feel that I owe all you proud Fazer owners on this site a contrite and sincere apology for conducting my ways in such a despicable and deplorable manner.

I will now go and find a hair shirt and wear it for 24 hours hoping that I will lean to change my ways and act in a way that is fitting for such esteemed company as you Fazer enthusiasts.
Love and Kisses
Tommy.  :'( [size=78%]   [/size]
« Last Edit: 15 April 2016, 04:07:33 pm by tommyardin »