Date: 17-05-24  Time: 17:25 pm

Author Topic: rattle on tick over until clutch pulled  (Read 3924 times)

scoobie_paws

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
rattle on tick over until clutch pulled
« on: 14 June 2014, 09:49:28 pm »
Hi all been fettling the new girl and noticed that she is quite rattly on tick over until I pull clutch and  then goes quiet.
Could this be cam chain tensioner? Thought that would continue clutch in or out but not sure
Is it normal or do I need to poke about in the clutch?

On plus side new conti road attack 2 tyres on today and feel nice but will run in tomorrow :-)  also new ebc hh pads at front as old ones had about a mm left :-\  tried to replace sprocket but with 12 mm but looks like a two man job as just turns motor over with breaker bar.... Still least it means old one won't come off anytime soon
Cheers
Mark

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: rattle on tick over until clutch pulled
« Reply #1 on: 14 June 2014, 10:24:53 pm »
It sounds like the clutch rattling it can often be improved by balancing the carbs.

scoobie_paws

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 15 June 2014, 09:02:27 am »
It sounds like the clutch rattling it can often be improved by balancing the carbs.
OK great. Would never have thought of that. Will give it a try :-)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 June 2014, 09:34:26 am »
mine's doing that too...... time to upset the neighbours by balancing my carbs...... unless anyone else has any other ideas....
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

mick0905

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 June 2014, 09:06:33 pm »
I just joined the forum to search for the same problem. Mine sounds like a road whacker on tickover in neutral but the noise goes away when the clutch is pulled in. I've read posts on other sites saying this is "normal", is it really?  :rolleyes

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 June 2014, 12:26:49 am »
They all rumble like that sir.  :lol

Typical of multiplate wet clutch in line fours, balancing the carbs helps, but never completely gets rid of it.

You should listen to an old SOHC 750-4 Honda

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 June 2014, 01:26:17 am »
you could also try adjusting the clutch cable a little to take some of the slack.  May reduce it a little, no harm in trying.
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

mick0905

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2014, 08:19:06 am »
I need to hear another one. I seriously thought I'd bought a pup til I read it was "normal". What I don't know yet is how normal is normal.

The bike rides fine and selects all gears smoothly but I get the feeling when I'm stopped at traffic lights that everyone is looking round to see where the racket is coming from.

I'll see if I can upload a video of mine running to Youtube so you can compare it to yours scoobie.
« Last Edit: 18 June 2014, 08:24:42 am by mick0905 »

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2014, 12:35:07 pm »
I need to hear another one. I seriously thought I'd bought a pup til I read it was "normal". What I don't know yet is how normal is normal.

The bike rides fine and selects all gears smoothly but I get the feeling when I'm stopped at traffic lights that everyone is looking round to see where the racket is coming from.

I'll see if I can upload a video of mine running to Youtube so you can compare it to yours scoobie.

Maybe your clutch basket is a bit worn and the plates are rattling around a bit

mick0905

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 July 2014, 03:37:16 pm »
Took mine on an 80 mile ride today and the noise is seriously disturbing, spoiling what would otherwise have been an enjoyable ride but I had the constant nagging at the back of my mind that it was going to self destruct at any minute. :\

I've uploaded a video to YouTube demonstrating the noise in neutral with clutch in/out. Do they all *really* sound like this??  :eek

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 July 2014, 04:47:51 pm »
That is most certainly not your normal Fazer clutch rumble and they definitely do not all sound anything like that. :eek
Buy a clutch cover gasket, put the bike on the side stand (saves having to drain the oil) and take off the clutch cover and have a good look at the clutch, Sounds like something broken or badly worn.
If necessary take out the plates and check everything inside there. You could have a loose of broken clutch bolt.
If the clutch was changed there is a good chance  the clutch bolts were over tighten and one was stripped.