Date: 18-05-24  Time: 13:32 pm

Author Topic: Sprucing up the old FZ1  (Read 30624 times)

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Sprucing up the old FZ1
« Reply #125 on: 24 March 2015, 09:24:53 pm »
http://www.yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75850&highlight=throttle+cable

Bit late I know but but saw this on the American forum whilst browsing, might help you next time you replace the throttle cables. :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 24 March 2015, 10:01:52 pm »
Slappy good shout there 8) ...........glad im not the only one that found this an absolute arse of a job.

Heres a copy & paste a bit further down from one of the comments on that site:-

I also had a rubber screwdriver handle jamming open the pulley but that was for the top cable......im a bit worried about this guys description of routing the bottom cable though, perhaps im struggling to understand his description but he refers to routing either left or right side of the wheel......as far as i could fathom there is only one way and that is coming from the front wheel direction towards the back wheel direction ie the direction the cable is pointing from where it clamps before the cable end then coming out and going underneath the pulley wheel before popping into the hole by coming towards you as you stand by the bike..........the bit that worries me is his description at the end because that seems to be the best description for what i did.

Quote I had originally thought I could bring the cable end up on the right side of the wheel, but if you do this, you can connect it, but the cable cannot go back to its proper run due to an obstruction. End quote

Hi mtn.fz,Thanks for your help.I've had a PM asking for more detail, so I'll add what I can.To get the bottom (return cable) connected, 1 person had to hold the wheel that the cable ends slot into, in the throttle wide open position by jammng a big screw driver against it. Then the other person fed the end of the cable up the left side of the wheel (near the rear of the wheel looking towards the front tyre), then bent the cable back down to slip into the slot using a pair of long nose pliers. Then route the cable to where it should go before gradually easing the wheel back to throttle closed position. Do not just let the wheel go or you may damage the cable if it is not routed properly.It's still difficult but it is possible. It still took us a couple of hours after we had determined the plan.I had originally thought I could bring the cable end up on the right side of the wheel, but if you do this, you can connect it, but the cable cannot go back to its proper run due to an obstruction.end quote

« Last Edit: 24 March 2015, 10:11:56 pm by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 24 March 2015, 11:50:02 pm »
That sounds like fun.... NOT ;)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 25 March 2015, 01:38:24 pm »
Would it not be significantly easier to just take the throttle bodies off the engine so you can route the cables easily?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 25 March 2015, 02:26:18 pm »
Would it not be significantly easier to just take the throttle bodies off the engine so you can route the cables easily?

in theory if you are a mechanic then yep but for me I wasn't chancing messing it all up by tampering with things outside my scope, to even attempt the cable was a bold jump for me and I read on other forum posts about other bikes about taking off throttle bodies but I didn't quite know how the mechanism worked and theres allot of tension on this throttle pulley arm thingy that the cable goes onto with the other side snapping back quite ferociously...I didn't want to dismantle something under that kind of tension and it just release itself all over the place and be in a million bits and pieces :o

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: 23 April 2015, 07:52:55 pm »
Felt like i should update this thread since i started it.....fair to say i had all good intentions & things havent always gone to plan but im half way there.

To summarise my thoughts......the bike is never gonna be a minter....all thesemega clean bikes you see...it just isnt one...but it looks good at first glance & lets face it...its done 40k & been thrashed & is from 2008.....so long as it works now is my main concern.

Even on this sprucing up mission ive ended up breaking more than ive fixed......throttle cable snapping on me wasnt very nice & im chuffed i have a nice new one fitted at last.....that was a learning curve.

Then ive had the bike topple over on me while fitting the jack up.....stupid boy pike :lol ......more lessons learned.

Fitting these monkey hanger renthals was a mission in itself.

But im getting there slowly......i like the feel of the Renthals, the new grips & the jack up kit.

I like the aesthetics of the jack up & the gold handlebars and the way the whole yoke area looks much more tidy and cleared of all the shitty wires that were dangling around with black tape previously.

At first glance with the jack up i seem to have much more clearance under the belly pan even though ive dropped the yokes down the forks again.

I've got a way to go yet but at the end of the day ive learned & it's still enjoyable in a strange way.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: 23 April 2015, 08:02:54 pm »
needs r1 forks n six pots
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: 24 April 2015, 11:00:27 am »
Hey Noggy, bike looks cleaner than mine. I've given up worrying about having an immaculate bike with mine. Just haven't got the tools and facilities to do it at the moment. I prefer to just get on it and ride it, which is why I really bought it.

So, why not, erm, GET ON IT AND RIDE IT?!  :lol

Luke, wouldn't it be a better idea with the gen 2 to get the suspension sorted by one of the reputable suspension firms - mine with the K-Tech internals is surely a better front end than a straight R1 swap, and the gen 2 is already USDs, so less flex than RWU forks?

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: 24 April 2015, 11:42:42 am »
The 07 on fork are pretty much top of the line as far as factory forks go
Personally on these sending them to the tuning houses will b overkill as over fz1 or gen 1 forks there a quantum leap
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: 24 April 2015, 01:32:33 pm »
Hmmmm...ride it.....now there's a novel idea :lol

You're right though...coz if i dont get it on the road soon there'll be no pint until next year....i think new fork springs will be on hold til next year...slim has kindly offered to help me out with them but i think ill be thankful enough this year if the thing just starts and runs plus i still got the mot to get through.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: 24 April 2015, 02:49:44 pm »
Hmmmm...ride it.....now there's a novel idea :lol

You're right though...coz if i dont get it on the road soon there'll be no pint until next year....i think new fork springs will be on hold til next year...slim has kindly offered to help me out with them but i think ill be thankful enough this year if the thing just starts and runs plus i still got the mot to get through.

That's it. You've got a bike. It may not be perfect in your eyes, but it's a perfectly useable bike. Go out and enjoy it for what it is.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: 24 April 2015, 10:02:01 pm »
Yes Noggy, come on,,lets meet up at Landovery Café,,have cake, go up towards Builth and turn left and go up the Devils staircase and back round towards your gaff.

Well ?

well ?

well ?
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: 26 April 2015, 04:17:18 pm »
Tediously slowly im getting there.

Revealed my chain & sprocket. 8)

Tightened up the suspension bolts using my new torque wrench. 8)

Decided to replace the brake res cap as it was tacky with "fz1" on it........went to put my plain silver pro bolt one on......1 of the little allen screws turned to mush (not exactly chea that pro bolt shit)....now im not sure if that side is tight enough...seen some leakage earlier so have wiped down and will check again to see.

Back to work tomorrow but my nxt days off will reveal whether she starts up ok.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: 27 April 2015, 06:42:02 am »
Well Noggy, I hope we are not all too old  or all crashed to  ride with you when you finally push it out of the gates
 :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Nick will get back on soon I hope and we can get a mid Wales meetup, may even bring a cake :lol :lol :lol

Well it will be a party on more than one part.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.