0 (0%)
Bridgestone BT023
15 (44.1%)
Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 3
12 (35.3%)
Any other option
7 (20.6%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Author Topic: Yet another tyres thread  (Read 13756 times)

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
Re: Yet another tyres thread
« Reply #25 on: 13 June 2013, 03:48:53 pm »
Diablos are sporty and sticky, but wear a lot faster than sport-tourer tyres. I found them a bit unstable. They caused handlebar wobble at 80km/h too (Although my bike is not standard). On road I lean sharper with tourers BT021s now due the superior stability. I have even scrubbed a crash bobbin. On track I would stick to the Diablos.
H rated wouldn't pass Spanish MOT, as the original mount was W. Check your country's law. I think they will wear faster too. The codes are intended for only 10 minutes of use at that speed.

Next I will try BT023, the newer T30 or the Pilot Road 2. I've been told the PR3 works worse on very hot asphalt.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #26 on: 13 June 2013, 03:55:39 pm »
I got some H rated Diablos - cheap. They wear fine. I almost never ride faster than 180 km/h. Highest steady speed I do is 160 km/h (motorway). Guess W speed rating is just Yamaha's safety margin. Though, I'm not heavy and neither is my pillon.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Motorbreath

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - YZF1000R ThunderAce
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 13 June 2013, 04:38:43 pm »
It is good to know, incase economy becomes tighter and radars continue spreading over here. On the other hand I wouldn't consider W rating as safety margin. Fazer's top speed is way higher than H can endure (210km/h during 10 minutes).

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 13 June 2013, 06:37:54 pm »
By the bye, how about the Contimotions? The ones I had on when I bought the bike were rubbish, but partially because they were very, very knackered. Any one got any inof, good or bad on 'em?
The Deef's apprentice

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #29 on: 13 June 2013, 06:47:58 pm »
It is good to know, incase economy becomes tighter and radars continue spreading over here. On the other hand I wouldn't consider W rating as safety margin. Fazer's top speed is way higher than H can endure (210km/h during 10 minutes).

Yes, agreed.

The only situation where, at least for me, it is safe to go over 200 km/h is the track. Apart from track, even on motorways, over 150 is dangerous, other drivers don't pay attention, move left without noticing you if you go much faster and you slam into them. Not to mention other roads (animals, careless drivers etc).

By the bye, how about the Contimotions? The ones I had on when I bought the bike were rubbish, but partially because they were very, very knackered. Any one got any inof, good or bad on 'em?

Not very good.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 13 June 2013, 07:04:20 pm »
Right, thanks.

I've found Diablo Rosso IIs at W rating though, so all is good. My final lineup is:

Bridgestone BT023        --> £183
Pirelli Diablo Rosso II     --> £187
Michelin Pilot Road II     --> £200
Metzeler Roadtec Z6     --> £154

Those are for bundle deals I've found on Ebay, all from the same shop to give a comparison.

Any thoughts about these 4? How do the Metzelers fare against the Maxxis?
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 13 June 2013, 07:20:28 pm »
I don't know about what equipment you have to hand but do t forget you'll be paying more to get them fitted if you can't do it, it sometimes doesn't work out cheaper buying online then getting them fitted tbh, easy enough to shop around your local garages for prices too!

I was given a set of contimotions for free to do a video for them (continental) and got on with them well, but they only lasted 6000 miles, which in my experience was'nt that good, they're branded as sports touring but with that mileage? and the rear constantly stepped out on me but in a controlled manor tbh, so not so much sport either! For free I was happy with them but personally I wouldn't buy them!

Tyres are very personal, if you have the extra money pr3's are the best wearing, but as far as I'm aware the compound is supposed to be very very similar to the previous pr2's, the main difference being the extra water dispersing sipes on the 3's
Some say...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 13 June 2013, 07:56:01 pm »
I don't know about what equipment you have to hand but do t forget you'll be paying more to get them fitted if you can't do it, it sometimes doesn't work out cheaper buying online then getting them fitted tbh, easy enough to shop around your local garages for prices too!

I was given a set of contimotions for free to do a video for them (continental) and got on with them well, but they only lasted 6000 miles, which in my experience was'nt that good, they're branded as sports touring but with that mileage? and the rear constantly stepped out on me but in a controlled manor tbh, so not so much sport either! For free I was happy with them but personally I wouldn't buy them!

Tyres are very personal, if you have the extra money pr3's are the best wearing, but as far as I'm aware the compound is supposed to be very very similar to the previous pr2's, the main difference being the extra water dispersing sipes on the 3's

Well, for my own budget, I'm adding about £50 for fitting down my local bike shop, and I'll get my carbs balanced at the same time.

Chatting to the bloke down the shop, he said the Michelins were sharper at tipping you in, and that they "fell" into the corners rather than going fluidly. Any comment?

I'm still trying my hare-brained attempts at knee down, albeit with a knee a good foot (maybe?) off the tarmac!
The Deef's apprentice

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #33 on: 13 June 2013, 08:48:10 pm »
Roadtec are too slippery - but I heard from several different folks that roads in England are more grippy and wear tyres quicker. For Serbia, I'd avoid Roadtec and rather go for Sportec model, but then again, sport tyres last long on our slippery pavement.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 13 June 2013, 11:34:17 pm »
Knee downs a different topic, don't force it!
All those tyres are more than capable, michelin's have a lovely feel to them, as with any tyre after you've scrubbed them in and start pushing more and more you get used to whatever their particular characteristics are so I wouldn't over think what anybody says about things 'tipping in' etc

My new Bridgestone S20 front was £80 fitted, that's why I mentioned asking around shops what they charge instead of the hassle of buying on line, waiting to be delivered then having to carry the tyres down the shop to be fitted!
Some say...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 13 June 2013, 11:38:02 pm »
Knee downs a different topic, don't force it!
All those tyres are more than capable, michelin's have a lovely feel to them, as with any tyre after you've scrubbed them in and start pushing more and more you get used to whatever their particular characteristics are so I wouldn't over think what anybody says about things 'tipping in' etc

My new Bridgestone S20 front was £80 fitted, that's why I mentioned asking around shops what they charge instead of the hassle of buying on line, waiting to be delivered then having to carry the tyres down the shop to be fitted!

Do you prefer the PR2s or the PR3s? And what about those Metzelers? The price is certainly attractive, but not sure about grip and longevity... Any takers?
The Deef's apprentice

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 14 June 2013, 12:16:55 am »
Had PR2s on the 600 once and removed the front before it was fully worn. I could not trust it on very fast cornering, it always felt like the front was going to slide, it felt even worse on the 1000 and we took it off also before it was fully worn. The PR3 are miles ahead by comparsion in every way.
the Michelin 2CTs and Dunlop Sprotsmarts felt good, but do not come in the 110 size. I found the Roadsmarts good, but slower to warm up in comparsion the the PR3 and the M5s
The only bike I rode with Diablos was a Gisxer 600 and I stopped to check the tyres as I though they were down in pressure as it was very hard to  turn in to the corners witout some serious counter steering. It was like riding a completly different bike when he fitted M5s to it. It was effortless dropping into the corners and felt like it was on rails.
A few post here are discussing different speed rating, I wonder about the insurance implications and  possible MOT failures for fitting tyres below the recommend manufactures specifications.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 14 June 2013, 01:14:06 am »
Had PR2s on the 600 once and removed the front before it was fully worn. I could not trust it on very fast cornering, it always felt like the front was going to slide, it felt even worse on the 1000 and we took it off also before it was fully worn. The PR3 are miles ahead by comparsion in every way.
the Michelin 2CTs and Dunlop Sprotsmarts felt good, but do not come in the 110 size. I found the Roadsmarts good, but slower to warm up in comparsion the the PR3 and the M5s
The only bike I rode with Diablos was a Gisxer 600 and I stopped to check the tyres as I though they were down in pressure as it was very hard to  turn in to the corners witout some serious counter steering. It was like riding a completly different bike when he fitted M5s to it. It was effortless dropping into the corners and felt like it was on rails.
A few post here are discussing different speed rating, I wonder about the insurance implications and  possible MOT failures for fitting tyres below the recommend manufactures specifications.

Thanks for that Unfazed!

All the tyres I've found (and all the prices above) are for W or better speed ratings. What brand are the M5s - Metzelers?

Has no-one ridden with Z6s fitted?
The Deef's apprentice

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 14 June 2013, 07:59:27 am »
Yes the M5 are Metzelers. I did try the old Z6 and it was good, but road to the edge to easily, its limit ran out before my did .  :lol  I have not tried the new Z6 Interact.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 14 June 2013, 12:57:45 pm »
Dammit, there's too much bloody choice!!  :lol

Now looking at the Pilot Road IIIs and those Metzeler M5s; I might have to toss a coin to decide!! The Bridgestones will be my fuck-it-I-can't-be-bothered-to-look-anymore backup.  :)
The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 14 June 2013, 01:06:50 pm »

Now looking at the Pilot Road IIIs and those Metzeler M5s; I might have to toss a coin to decide!! The Bridgestones will be my fuck-it-I-can't-be-bothered-to-look-anymore backup.  :)

Get one of each.....sorted!
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 14 June 2013, 01:09:26 pm »

If I could... As it is, one set represents half my food budget this month...  :'(
The Deef's apprentice

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 14 June 2013, 01:33:56 pm »

If I could... As it is, one set represents half my food budget this month...  :'(
I meant get an M5 front and a PR3 rear  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 14 June 2013, 01:44:37 pm »
Call me old fashioned, but I prefer to stick with sets. It's why I'll be getting rid of the Maxxis front I currently have, even though there's 4mm of tread left on it.

The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 14 June 2013, 03:35:42 pm »
Nothing wrong with mixing tyres, but personal preference and all that.
You want longevity then pr3's,  I've not had less than 15000 out the rear on the 3 I've had! They cost a little more but in the long run are cheaper per mile and nt at the forfeit of grip!
Some say...

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 14 June 2013, 04:03:40 pm »
You want longevity then pr3's,  I've not had less than 15000 out the rear on the 3 I've had! They cost a little more but in the long run are cheaper per mile and nt at the forfeit of grip!

I think I'll go for the PR3s then, they seem to be getting the most rave reviews. And they can't be worse than the Maxxis I have at the moment! Now, about knee down... (It ain't for nothing I'm known as Merv the Swerve!!  :lol )
The Deef's apprentice

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 14 June 2013, 08:02:26 pm »
You're only across the road from me (I'm in Berkhamsted) if you fancy an afternoon out and a 3rd parties opinion on your body positioning I'm free next weekend (22/23)!
Some say...

unfazed

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: 14 June 2013, 08:29:44 pm »

I think I'll go for the PR3s then, they seem to be getting the most rave reviews. And they can't be worse than the Maxxis I have at the moment! Now, about knee down... (It ain't for nothing I'm known as Merv the Swerve!!  :lol )
You won't go far wrong with PR3s and they are definitely way better than the maxxis.
When is your restriction due to be binned?

ChristoT

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: 14 June 2013, 08:47:46 pm »

You won't go far wrong with PR3s and they are definitely way better than the maxxis.
When is your restriction due to be binned?

Not for another 12 months...
The Deef's apprentice