Date: 17-05-24  Time: 15:46 pm

Author Topic: Performance  (Read 16236 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Performance
« on: 28 April 2013, 08:18:57 pm »
I, and a few other foc'cers I've spoken to, have come across slow performance and timeout of page loads on the FOC forum (I've surprisingly got it in the wee hours more often than not).  Is it possible to have a look at the logs and/or load to understand if it is performance challenged ?

I think there were a few timeouts connecting to the database too.

Soz if it's an imposition.

Cheers
Simon
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Performance
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2013, 10:01:30 pm »
Hi, thanks for the report. Last year we were having many troubles and eventually our host moved us onto a different server, which seemed to sort the issues. We use shared hosting and so perhaps the other sharers are in a different timezone and busy over(our)night, or maybe there are loads of auto processes firing off.

Would anyone who gets this please make a note of time times and stick them on here (will make for a boring thread but...) and we'll see if we can build up a pattern.

As it's shared hosting I don't have access to the logs but with enough evidence/information I can go to our hosts and they can sort it :thumbup

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 April 2013, 06:22:13 pm »
Got one at 18:14 today.  Forgot to check the error as I was already refreshing the page (I kinda got used to pages failing to load)

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 May 2013, 12:35:44 am »
12:31 - 12:33

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 May 2013, 12:37:20 am »
 that post took about 5 attempts,  each failing with the same response.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 May 2013, 12:42:47 am »
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@foc-u.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 May 2013, 07:07:26 am »
7:04am this morning:
No data received
Unable to load the web page because the server sent no data.
Here are some suggestions:
Reload this web page later.
Error 324 (net::ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE): The server closed the connection without sending any data.
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 07:08:59 am by simonm »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 May 2013, 07:13:07 am »
07:12:
Internal Server Error
The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, webmaster@foc-u.co.uk and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 May 2013, 07:15:36 am »
I think this could be a reason for some of the double posts that occur via tapatalk (possibly)

I'm also pretty sure these errors are due to the server being overloaded or not powerful enough.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 May 2013, 07:17:17 am »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 May 2013, 11:15:31 am »
Farjo, or other admins, do you know what sort of usage stats you have? Bandwidth mostly

I work a lot with hosting, curious to see if I can help out the forum with some alternative hosting :)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 May 2013, 11:59:23 am »
Farjo, or other admins, do you know what sort of usage stats you have? Bandwidth mostly

I work a lot with hosting, curious to see if I can help out the forum with some alternative hosting :)

I'm glad you mentioned the bit about the bandwidth being due to helping out with hosting.  This is definitely not a bandwith issue (IMO) as the web server is responding but falling down a bit further up the architecture (CPU constrained for the 404's and possibly 324's or possibly memory for the database connection resulting in the database/app/pool falling over and restarting)

tbh I don't do web server debugging but I'm relatively confident in my guesses.

ooooooh.  A good bloke to know for hosting then :-)  :lol :D
« Last Edit: 01 May 2013, 12:07:09 pm by simonm »

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 May 2013, 09:40:38 pm »
Failed to connect to forum. Problems persists contact yada yada.

It was doing it last night as well right up til about midnight when I crashed. O  tapatalk

Been fine during the day.

Threads are having the loading swirl for ages as well. Need to back out and try again. Sometimes takes 2 or 3 attempts
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 02 May 2013, 05:06:46 pm »
17:05

Connection ProblemsSorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 02 May 2013, 07:47:23 pm »
19:45

Error Code 500
Internal Server Error

In my experience usually this is a web server configuration issue

@Simon - Reason I asked about bandwidth is to determine if I could offer something suitable IF the admins wanted to take me up on my offer. It was a long shot as I doubt they would want to move but it was worth a shot...

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 May 2013, 10:15:38 pm »
19:45

Error Code 500
Internal Server Error

In my experience usually this is a web server configuration issue

@Simon - Reason I asked about bandwidth is to determine if I could offer something suitable IF the admins wanted to take me up on my offer. It was a long shot as I doubt they would want to move but it was worth a shot...

@Deadeye You're a nice guy trying to help  :D

I suspect the 500 is just before the virtual server falls in a heap and restarts (iirc 500 is just something is foobarred but I can't report specifically what it is rather than specifically misconfiguration although that is definitely an option).  The forum runs fine most of the time, so I guess the 500 is just appearing just before or after it goes titsup.com.  I wouldn't have thought a hosting company would have mis-configured apache/mysql/whatever, but it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong (I would hope for their sake they know their business better than that).

I don't know which of the UKhost4u packages they have signed up for but it'd be interesting to know.  I suspect the back up jobs run in the wee hours and suck quite a bit of CPU and memory away from the hosting.

It's all guess work until one of the admins hits the support people with a stick.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 May 2013, 11:57:42 pm »
You are quite correct regarding the 500 errors - what exactly do you do for a living? You have a fair knowledge of these things ;) But yes, generically, 500 is the server threw an unrecoverable error somewhere along the line. The hosting I deal with currently doesn't use VM's so less of an issue of it falling over

Truth be told, I hadn't looked at the current hosting platform that the forum runs on so you have done your research :P As for backups, I'm reserved on that. No way to know for certain as to whether they are running any at all and even then an incremental backup (which is what I would expect) isn't hugely intensive.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #17 on: 03 May 2013, 12:04:57 am »
I've just had a 500 error trying to look at this thread...!!

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 May 2013, 12:11:30 am »
getting a bit frustrating now took me for ever to post a reply on my headlight thead  and I got this and lost my post !
 Internal Server Error

then it didn't look like it was going to let me post this !

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 May 2013, 12:23:25 am »
Got the same thing at 12:20, a 500 internal server error:

EDIT: This was trying to send a PM.

"
Internal Server Error The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request."
« Last Edit: 04 May 2013, 12:26:08 am by ChristoT »
The Deef's apprentice

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 04 May 2013, 03:58:08 am »

Monthly bandwidth transfer = 6,170.1, disk space usage = 12,500MB (and growing).

Do you work for a hosting company?

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 04 May 2013, 05:42:36 am »
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again :D

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 04 May 2013, 05:50:26 am »
Have you tried turning it off and turning it back on again :D

:rollin

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 04 May 2013, 02:34:01 pm »
and again! Internal Server Error

Farjo

• GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 04 May 2013, 07:02:19 pm »
18:55 - 19:00 "500 Internal Server Error" and generally loading pages slowly.