Date: 01-05-24  Time: 05:32 am

Author Topic: Bloody Immobilisers!  (Read 2038 times)

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Bloody Immobilisers!
« on: 05 January 2017, 02:06:58 pm »
Anyone had issues with theirs?  Quite a few I imagine.

So, after a gruelling day at work and me feeling like I had lead weights attached to every part of my body, I finally finished and trotted of the bike shed for a ni9ce easy ride home and to be able to slip onto my nice warm sofa with a nice warm mug of coffee but nooooo!  Couldn't disable the immobiliser, great I think, new batteries in the fob perhaps.  So, a 1/2 hour trek around town to find somewhere that did the correct batteries.  Eventually found some, trek back to office, new batteries....no good!

Phone call to wife to find the second fob I have.  Took her another half an hour to find it, then another 20 minutes to get to me, new fob.....no good!

Phone call to motorcycle centre who I bought the bike from who were kindly able to come and fetch the bike and, hopefully [today], rip out the darn thing.

Ended up getting home 3 hours after I should have done and still had to move everything from the living room up two flights of stairs ready for the new carpet to be fitted today.  So....Fuck you Meta  :lol

[/rant]

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Bloody Immobilisers!
« Reply #1 on: 05 January 2017, 03:30:46 pm »
Plenty of us on here have had same problem, the internal battery only lasts for about 10 years and it is not replaceable. You can rip the alarm out, replace it with an expensive new one or it is possible to bridge the connectors to bypass it.If you search on here for Meta alarm there are a few threads and I think one showed you how to bypass it, which is what i did when I had mine, two bits of wire are all that is needed but cannot remember how to do it as it was over 5 years ago.
I had my Gen1 for 6 years and the alarm foccing up was the only time it broke down.

Just found this thread which showed me how to do it http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,4493.msg38000.html#msg38000
« Last Edit: 05 January 2017, 03:37:57 pm by slappy »

markie_wales

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - KTM 950 SuperEnduro
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 January 2017, 03:55:49 pm »
I always used to get alarms (Meta 357T's???) but about 12 years ago realised that the £25 a year saving on insurance meant I had to keep the bike about 12 years just to break even. Yes I know it could have stopped a theft, but not had a bike nicked for best part of 30 years so not bothered on the bikes I have had since. The stream of reports of being stuck with a failed alarm does not make me think I'll change my mind anytime soon!

I do realise I live in a low crime area and keep it in a locked a garage away from prying eyes, so I would be different if I left it chained to a lamppost in central Manchester/London etc

cheers

Markie

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 January 2017, 06:04:06 pm »
I had issues with an aftermarket immobilizer fitted to my bike some time back in 2014. The sorry saga is on here somewhere.  :'( 

It's been the only mechanical breakdown that the bike has had in my ownership. Albeit I don't do loads of miles these days. (thought I'd mention that before someone else does)  :lol

I would NEVER opt to have an alarm / immobilizer fitted to any bike now, unless I was compelled to do so for insurance reasons. [size=78%]If I ever buy another bike with an aftermarket one fitted (highly unlikely) one of the first things I will get done, is have it taken off. Took ages to identify where the fault was.[/size]

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 January 2017, 06:39:49 pm »

All meta alarms come with a code card and the alarm (if led is still flashing) can be switched off using a combination of led flashes and turning on and off the ignition.
The number a Meta alarms fitted to the number of failures is small and the reason there are sealed is to prevent scumbags interfering with them.

Scoobiemandan
PM me which model of alarm you have plus your email address and I will send you the correct method of bypassing it. One of the pictures posted in the post mentioned is incorrect and bypassing the alarm incorrectly can take out the Ignitor or ECU depending on the bike you have.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 January 2017, 05:22:51 pm »

All meta alarms come with a code card and the alarm (if led is still flashing) can be switched off using a combination of led flashes and turning on and off the ignition.
The number a Meta alarms fitted to the number of failures is small and the reason there are sealed is to prevent scumbags interfering with them.

Scoobiemandan
PM me which model of alarm you have plus your email address and I will send you the correct method of bypassing it. One of the pictures posted in the post mentioned is incorrect and bypassing the alarm incorrectly can take out the Ignitor or ECU depending on the bike you have.

I appreciate the response and offer but the bike was collected by the garage and it's currently with them.  Spoke to him yesterday and he said they were having some issues with it.  Said he could get it to start sometimes and then other times she wouldn't fire.  Arrrrggghhhh.  It seems that perhaps it is just a bit more than the immobiliser or, indeed, the immobiliser and me pressing the fob, I dunno how many times, maybe has sent the ECU into a frenzy.  Just hoping the issue can be rectified and cheaply!!!!!

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2017, 08:01:45 pm »
If it helps, this is the thread that I started when I had problems with mine.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,13722.msg155009.html#msg155009

Have a read...... If your symptoms are the same, I'd get them to go through the wiring for the immobiliser and make sure that they're all in tact and not chafed or broken. Mine was decommissioned in the end and the bike has been perfect since then.

Obviously there are several other great bits of advice offered by other members on the same thread,  of other things to check, if they're struggling.

Hope you get it back sorted soon and without too much expense.

scoobiemandan

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 07 January 2017, 09:33:05 pm »
Garage had removed alarm/immobiliser and got their knickers in a twist as they still could get the bike to start every time, turns out the side stand switch has something to do with it.  However, alarm/immobiliser is beyond replacing such as it was wired in!  Still, I don't see that as a bad thing as it's one less thing to worry about going wrong in the future!

A bit confused though as the beep never appeared when depressing the fob so I'm pretty sure there must have been an issue with the alarm/immobiliser somewhere amongst all this.
« Last Edit: 07 January 2017, 09:34:09 pm by scoobiemandan »