Date: 22-05-24  Time: 03:28 am

Author Topic: Gen1 fuel / cut out issues advice appreciated  (Read 1999 times)

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
Gen1 fuel / cut out issues advice appreciated
« on: 21 June 2014, 11:50:06 am »
Greetings All,

Ive been using my Fazer thou Gen 1 to commute on recently after it had sat unused for a while. It has been running perfectly, 54 miles each way five days a week until……………………..
one morning on my way in, steady 70(isn) mph, it suddenly has a huge back fire or two, lurches a couple of times and then cuts out on the M4. Tried restarting it straight away and turns over but wouldn't start. Leave it for a minute or so while I have a look around, then try again and it starts up fine, revs cleanly through the range with no problems.
I get back on and head off again, only to find about 1/2 to 3/4 mile down the road, having got back up to cruising speed, the same thing happens again. This time I arrange for recovery.
The only other odd thing that I had noticed had started to happen in the last few days, was that the Ivans multi gauge fitted, had started to flicker and go dull / unreadable intermittently.
The recovery guy said that it was probably the fuel pump? Ive done some reading though and it seems that this is only to prime the float bowls pre start up and / or when the bike is running low on fuel / reserve. If that is correct, then this wouldn't be an issue would it? as the bike had plenty of fuel in it and would it not therefore be gravity / vacuum fed? It also wouldn't re start if it had packed up, because once the carbs were drained, if the pump was knackered, surely it wouldn't refill the float bowls?
Ive just been out, turned the ignition on and the fuel pump clicks as usual. The battery connections are fine. The bike starts straight away and ticks over fine. The multi gauge though isn't coming on at all now.
Any advice appreciated please. I can do the normal maintenance but electrics I haven't ever dabbled with and to be honest, I'm not keen to do so. Equally, I don't want to throw it at a dealers and have them fleece me "fault finding".
Incidentally, I haven't done any maintenance in the last few weeks. The last job that I did, some months ago, was to balance the carbs. The bike has been running fine since then and I haven't disturbed / removed the tank or anything else for that meter, since that time.
Cheers

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gen1 fuel / cut out issues advice appreciated
« Reply #1 on: 21 June 2014, 12:40:36 pm »
Poor running then backfiring is usually ignition related caused by fuel in the combustion chamber and exhaust but no spark, then when spark returns BANG.
  • check your stop switch (red one) or at least spray electrical cleaner in there.
  • Check your side stand cut out for poor connection or poor earth
  • [/size]Check and clean the connections to the coils
  • [/size]check and clean the ignition switch connections
[/size]I am also guessing electrical as your multi gauge isn't working.

[/size]There is also a main connector block under the seat that is known to cause problem, there is a mod you can do that changes out the connector block for a better one. There is a write up on how to do it on here somewhere.

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 June 2014, 02:02:39 pm »
My advise would be to start with #4. The ignition switch is know for making trouble. WD40 might work, but it's better to disassemble and clean the contacts. Though it's a mess to get the screws out..

The "white connector" to the alternator is also a suspect (as already mentioned). There are 2 of them. One below/besides the battery, the second left hand side under the tank, 3 white cables. Check for fried contacts.

The gauge is the latest to have trouble with low batteries. If the rest works fine and the motor runs normal there has to be another cause. Maybe a coincidence. To my experience problems are mostly related to the wiring inside the cluster, sqeezed cables for example. Might work for a long time.. Open the dashboard to have a look. Feel free to post some pictures or send them to me.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 June 2014, 02:58:58 pm »
Thanks very much for your input guys.
As and when I get a day / evening free to get into the garage, I'll start to work through them one by one and post my findings. The bikes on the ramp now so that's a start!
Cheers

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 June 2014, 05:39:17 am »
Small correction first ... Multigauge is Schlumpf's most excellent creation, not Ivan's. :)

Yes, you're looking at an electrical issue here and you've already been pointed at the most likely suspects.  I hope you find the problem quickly.

SkidT

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - R1200GS LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 June 2014, 09:15:45 am »
Small correction first ... Multigauge is Schlumpf's most excellent creation, not Ivan's. :)

Yes, you're looking at an electrical issue here and you've already been pointed at the most likely suspects.  I hope you find the problem quickly.

Thanks Mike. I knew you'd be along soon to assist. Hope all is well with you.

Cheers Allan