Date: 09-05-24  Time: 16:00 pm

Author Topic: Blanking plates  (Read 2331 times)

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
Blanking plates
« on: 20 January 2012, 03:51:39 pm »
I'm thinking of switching to bar end mirrors on my FZS600, I've had a quick look on line but can't find any blanking plates.

Does anyone know were I can find a set?
Also any thoughts on bar end mirrors? These caught my eye as you can tuck them away when you park up:

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productinfo/MIA7514BK/Bodywork/Mirrors-Universal-Bar-End/Oberon
thou shalt not kick

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
Re: Blanking plates
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2012, 04:18:21 pm »
I stuck a set of bar end mirrors on my wee bike and I recon they look cool (for a 125). I got them from ebay 3 years ago for £25, and they are grrrrrreat.

As far as blanking that space up, no idea mate. I can't find any aftermarket part, so you might have to make something.

Let me know how you get on with it.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Is there a hole behind the mirrors then?  On the 1000 I *think* the mirrors sit on top of the fairing with just a couple of holes for the bolts.

Whilst they look good, I don't like bar end mirrors when riding as you do not see things without looking directly at them (fairing mirrors you can catch things in the corner of your eye) and as they are tucked so far down you have to take your eyes off the road ahead.  Personal opinion though and only used them on cafe racer styled bikes in the past where your head is a lot further forwards.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2012, 05:12:23 pm »
On the Mk1 600 there is a slot in the fairing about 45mm long and 17mm wide, round at each end. (I can't remember if the fox eye Mk2 is the same.) Since the mirror form part of the fixing of the fairing you would need to make blanking plates with a bit of stiffness to them. I would suggest making some out of say 3mm thick aluminium plate about the size of the mirror base. Also cushion it with some thin rubber sheet, for example inner tube rubber or similar, so as not to start a crack in the fairing. Shouldn't be too difficult, but if you are struggling send me a pm and I'll knock a couple off for you.
I don't know of any that you can buy.

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 January 2012, 05:21:01 pm »
just remove the inner supports no worries ran mine like that for 2 years then later added a bit of fibre glass on the in side when i filled in the holes for the mirrors + indicators
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 January 2012, 05:58:16 pm »
Tried bar end mirrors on my gen 1 thou but realy didnt like them. they looked ok but they were just in the wrong position and it was a struggle to see them without a lot more effort than the normal mirrors.
Might have got used to it if i had stuck with it but did give it a week till i gave up.

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 January 2012, 07:53:17 pm »
just remove the inner supports no worries ran mine like that for 2 years then later added a bit of fibre glass on the in side when i filled in the holes for the mirrors   indicators
On reflection I tend to agree with this. (I'm guessing DryRob that yours is a Mk1). The fairing is quite stiff and those support brackets are mainly to support the mirrors. On the Mk2 I think they are one piece with the main bracket bolted to the headstock, so not just an unbolting job as on the Mk1.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #7 on: 20 January 2012, 10:52:35 pm »
I have used bar-end mirrors for years and actually prefer them. They do take a bit of getting used to, but you dont have the obstruction of 2 big bits of ugly plastic right in your face when your riding. I am more of a life saver man and, to be honest, don't get overtaken that much. So the mirrors are not looked in every 10 seconds. I do look in them, but I would rather focus on the road ahead. And a little glance down and right (with your eyes, not your head) is hardly a bother. If it is a problem for you to do that you probably need a carer, never mind riding a bike.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

mikelockyer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 January 2012, 01:32:36 pm »
Hi
As I am now well in my 70s my carer comes with me. Thats the wife as pillion. Cheers
Mike
Mike Lockyer