Date: 17-05-24  Time: 08:41 am

Author Topic: Restricted???  (Read 20025 times)

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Restricted???
« on: 23 February 2015, 02:44:14 pm »
Hi All,

Is there an easy way to tell if a bikes restricted?
I have made previous threads on there about my bike feeling under powered and having a vibration around 5kRPM.
I have read that there could be restrictor washers in the inlet rubbers? but is this something that I can check with not a vast amount of technical know how.
I have check mounting bolts, carb sync and filters and things and everything else seems ok.
I just didnt want to start pulling lumps off my bike to find out im looking for something thats not there.
The bike is a 98 Model, its done in the region of 35K miles and been pretty well look after and serviced, its pretty much all standard bar a after market hugger and belly pan and screen.
Although i dont have contact with the previous owner to see if he had anything done to it or the owner before him?

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Restricted???
« Reply #1 on: 23 February 2015, 03:29:27 pm »
You new to bikes mate? If you're not it will be feel like its restricted. Otherwise, best bet is to find a long private road and see what it'll run out of puff at - restricted bikes won't pull more than about 110mph tops, so if it goes past that you'll be alright!

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 February 2015, 03:43:00 pm »
how fast will it go?

if itll do 90-95mph tops its restricted.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 February 2015, 03:45:11 pm »
You new to bikes mate? If you're not it will be feel like its restricted. Otherwise, best bet is to find a long private road and see what it'll run out of puff at - restricted bikes won't pull more than about 110mph tops, so if it goes past that you'll be alright!

LOL, not new to bikes just trying to iron out the issues with my Fazer, I had a bit of a break from motorbikes after a crash, but had two fazers about 10 years ago and owned Bandits and  Honda X11 and various other bikes, but this just seems underpowered, once you get to 5k+rpm it just buzzes and vibrates a little and it feels like it needs to change up and ive never had it over 70mph (truth)
I've not ridden a smaller bike or restricted bike for years and years so dont if its a technical thing or if it is restricted and I just wasnt told.
Pretty sure air filter in good condition as checked it last week although i could think its clean and others might say its past its best.

Ive not pushed it overly hard as due to where i work and live theres not too many open roads, just feel un easy taking it on motorway due to how it feels

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2015, 03:46:35 pm »
5k buzzing happens with all fazers.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2015, 03:48:44 pm »
5k buzzing happens with all fazers.

whens it supposed to stop? as it seems to continue from 5k+ with no end?
Ive checked all the normal stuff and gone through other threads on here, running out of ideas?
unless its just -
A: how fazers are..
B: I'm rubbish at being a biker
C: Both

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2015, 05:02:37 pm »
Rather than top end, would it not run out of puff if you gave it a bit of welly from a standing start, or even sudden hard throttle in any gear?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2015, 05:32:50 pm »
Sorry, Darrsi, got to disagree.

The kit in my ZX4 made it pull OK, but ran out of puff top end. Best thing to do is find an open "private" road, take her up to a ton. If it still pulls, all good. If not, check your carbs.
The Deef's apprentice

rhinoeli

• DAS Born Again
  • Hungarian Foccer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2015, 06:47:58 pm »
Spark plugs checked?

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2015, 06:48:51 pm »
I agree with Christo,t, my bike got up to about 100. then end of, it goes quite a bit faster now though, :lol
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2015, 06:55:38 pm »
With Yamaha's official kit, you can only do the ton in 4th. 5th if you're lucky. You should be able to do it in 6th, and still pulling.
The Deef's apprentice

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 February 2015, 07:19:40 pm »
Thanks for all the replies.
Will try and see if I can find somewhere I can open it up.
I could easily push my old bikes but this one just feels like it's making such an effort to get to 70. It cruises well at 40-50 in forth and fifth but not much further beyond that without feeling strange.
Half tempted to try and find somewhere local selling a Fazer to test ride another to compare.
Although it could still be me.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 23 February 2015, 07:54:16 pm »
With Yamaha's official kit, you can only do the ton in 4th. 5th if you're lucky. You should be able to do it in 6th, and still pulling.
Christo the way you use to whine about your restricted fazer I presumed it made for a shit ride not just that you couldn't go passed the ton  :groan [size=78%] [/size]
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 February 2015, 09:17:01 pm »
Sorry, Darrsi, got to disagree.

The kit in my ZX4 made it pull OK, but ran out of puff top end. Best thing to do is find an open "private" road, take her up to a ton. If it still pulls, all good. If not, check your carbs.

It was just a theory,  I've never actually ridden a restricted bike before.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 February 2015, 09:34:42 pm »
My tuppence worth random stab in the dark is....................could it be something to do with the throttle??, ie the throttle tube on the bar somehow slipping.

Are they standard fazer bars or renthals???

I dont know why ive thought of that......i think ive read a recent story about one of the thous that the guy had a hassle with the throttle which gave some dodgy symptoms suggesting more serious stuff but in the end that was all it was.

Does the throttle spin freely and snap back, does the bike rev to the limiter in neutral??? (Obviously not dvisable doing that loads of times but a little test wont harm it).
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 February 2015, 10:17:42 pm »
Bars are standard, all feels secure and throttle seems to operate like it should.
It's just the way the engine feels when it reaches 5-6k revs, like is almost redlining and the engines telling me it wants me to change up.
When I watch other Fazer videos on YouTube they seem to rev well above that without the same sound or buzz.
I've tried to eliminate as much as I can by checking various things and syncing carbs.
I've checked as many bolts as I can and had oil change and filter and also new chain and sprocket.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 February 2015, 11:06:25 pm »
Air filter would be the first port of call next.
Order a K&N, it's a worthy upgrade regardless if it's the cause anyway.

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 February 2015, 07:43:34 am »
Count the number of teeth on each sprocket, I know you say they have been replaced? But maybe if they were wrong in the first place maybe they got changed like for like

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 24 February 2015, 08:31:22 am »
Air filter would be the first port of call next.
Order a K&N, it's a worthy upgrade regardless if it's the cause anyway.

I will have a little look around see what sort of prices there going for, not had much experience buying air filters but K&N seems to be the name that keeps cropping up.

Count the number of teeth on each sprocket, I know you say they have been replaced? But maybe if they were wrong in the first place maybe they got changed like for like

Will check this in a short while, although i think it was only the rear sprocket that was changed when the chain was done, i took off the cover to the front a while back while cleaning bike and it looked in pretty good condition but didnt look too new.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 24 February 2015, 09:27:48 am »
Is it running on all 4 cylinders?
If not, that might account for the vibration and lack of power.
Try changing the spark plugs... the condition of the old ones should tell you if the problem lies with one particular cylinder.

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 24 February 2015, 10:36:03 am »
Is it running on all 4 cylinders?
If not, that might account for the vibration and lack of power.
Try changing the spark plugs... the condition of the old ones should tell you if the problem lies with one particular cylinder.

Yeah it seems to run fine, I did a carb sync last week and running ok and even, the pipes all get nice and warm from start.
I havent tried the spark plugs yet though.

I read somewhere saying that theres an easy way to get to the carb inlet rubbers to check for restrictor washers? is it worth checking? or too much hassle for someone with limited mechanical know how.
Although I was going to check the air filter at lunch so is this something i could do while ive got a few bits off the bike

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 24 February 2015, 11:17:05 am »
For someone with little knowledge I'd advise setting aside a whole day to look at it, not just an hour or so!
As for the air filter, take it out and run the bike without it if there's no change then it's not the air filter!
When it's running out of steam have you got the throttle fully open? Or are you opening it more and nothings happening?
How far round does it twist - imagining released its at 12 o'clock - does it twist back to 9? 8?
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 11:18:11 am by Punkstig »
Some say...

Silverlegacy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 24 February 2015, 11:36:51 am »
I live about 8 miles from where i work, so if i removed the air filter and rode home to test it out would this work?
The bike itself seems to get up around 5-6kRPM and then just seems to struggle, but feels the same in pretty much every gear, once you get up to around 8-9kRPM it feels like its running out of power and youve reached your limit for that gear and then have to change up, I remember on my last fazer i could push it beyond that, very much doubt i would even attempt to redline it as it feels stressed at around 8-9K.
The throttle seems to to be fine and twists freely and is about the same as other bikes i have rode.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 24 February 2015, 11:40:23 am »
Has it had an oil change recently ie with car oil?......just curious if it could be the clutch slipping at higher revs if it has the wrong oil in..........or was it running well before & then started doing it without any changes ie services?
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 24 February 2015, 11:52:01 am »
I live about 8 miles from where i work, so if i removed the air filter and rode home to test it out would this work?
Well you'll know if it runs differently over that distance, and won't hurt anything- point is its a 'free' way of checking if the filter has anything to do with your problem before you go buying a k&n!

It's starting to point more in the direction of a restriction kit fitted though!
« Last Edit: 24 February 2015, 11:52:50 am by Punkstig »
Some say...