Date: 18-05-24  Time: 02:36 am

Author Topic: Renthal Handlebars  (Read 17752 times)

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Renthal Handlebars
« on: 04 November 2011, 03:29:49 am »
Just put some heated grips on my Fazer (fortunately I only had to glue the throttle side), now I'm thinking I fancy some new handlebars as I'm not really that much of a fan of the OEM ones. Was reading this thread http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/31967#.TrNaThB6yUd . I really like the look of the 789's though I'd prefer bars that are non-braced, obviously without the foam pad.

Basically I like the look of low / ultra-low bars that are wide like the 789's. I'm about 6"2' and suffer from wrist-ache when riding the bike so was hoping some extra width would help with this? And also look better! Was thinking of putting risers on them so I don't end up leaning even further over the bike and getting more wrist-ache.

Based on all this, can anyone recommend some handlebars for the FZS 600? I'd prefer not to have to mess about putting extended brake lines and other cables on if I can get away with it as I'm sort of building up my experience level with that sort of stuff! I know I'll have to file the plastic on the switch boxes etc.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2011, 03:31:06 am by makeyourself »

wraith600

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Renthal Handlebars
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2011, 07:15:33 am »
follow me and ile show you were to crash

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,484.msg2583.html#msg2583

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 November 2011, 02:22:50 pm »

these will do the job  :)

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/505996/Bars-And-Footrests/Universal-bars/Bike-It

Ok cheers, anyone know what the build strength / general quality of the aforementioned bars are like (i.e. better than or equal to the stock ones?). I got a disc lock from Bike-It with my bike which is OK, other than that, don't really know much about the company. Was going to go for Renthal's because they've got such a good reputation although the one's above are a good price.

Also, the 'rise' on the Bike-It ones are only about 5mm less than the stock ones as I've measured them although the 'width' is about 210mm more. I presume this will make the rise appear less apparent as that's the type of look I'm going for? Sorry if the answer seems obvious!

keno

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZRX1200R 2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 November 2011, 10:48:10 am »
I have the ultra low on my bike & find them much better than stock.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 November 2011, 12:15:15 pm »
Ahh, my old 600 :-)

Renthal 758's the choice for 1000 owners, no brace & not quite as wide as 789's, tho much wider than standard. Don't see why they woundnt suit the 600 too.

As that old thread mentions, you might change to 1000 risers which raise bars to 40mm above top yoke. Getting hold of a pair will be the problem - either scarcely on ebay or ££££££ when they do appear

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 January 2012, 03:51:56 pm »
I have the ultra low on my bike & find them much better than stock.
me too, standard bars are bloody awful. Fitting bar end mirrors make the width of the bike even wider for filtering but tidy the front of the bike up no end are are great for seeing behind instead of elbows and shoulders.. Mine still have the brace on and look fine but they are black. I  tend to change bars to ultra lows on all the commuters and things as the control afforded is so much better. The ultra lows without the brace are stronger than the original shite.

Robfzs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2012, 03:43:29 pm »
just bought some ultra lows for my fazer 6 any tips on fitting them ?

do the switch gears have locating pins ?

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 January 2012, 04:00:07 pm »
Well, apart from the obvious or loosening off the switches, removing the left grip to allow the clutch perch to slide off and so on, if the pegs are still intact you can either
a. remove them and wrap the bars with a few turns of tape to secure the switches, or
b drill the bars once happy with the position.
It is unlikely you will need adhesive for the left grip to refit.
I would recommend nicer grips but that's my preference. Save for that, no, simples. You will notice a wider lower arm position and wonder how you ever rode with the standard monstrosities.

makeyourself

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 January 2012, 01:24:10 am »
Haven't been on here for a while, thanks for the extra replies, haven't got round to changing them over yet for one reason or other. I'll probably post up again when I'm about to. The bike blew over in the wind last week  :eek so I'm trying to fix that atm unfortunately!

Robfzs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 14 January 2012, 04:43:58 pm »
was just wondering,what do you attatch the bar ends to as there's no inserts inside the renthal bars i have ?

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 14 January 2012, 07:30:22 pm »
was just wondering,what do you attatch the bar ends to as there's no inserts inside the renthal bars i have ?
prob won't need any as the thicker ally damps better. You can buy inserts to fit the 13mm diameter ends, or like I have, stick bar end mirrors on and lose the butt ugly fairing ones.

Robfzs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 January 2012, 08:58:39 pm »
prob won't need any as the thicker ally damps better. You can buy inserts to fit the 13mm diameter ends, or like I have, stick bar end mirrors on and lose the butt ugly fairing ones.

cool,any bar end mirror you recommend ? thanks

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 January 2012, 12:56:01 pm »
Quote from: Robfzs
cool,any bar end mirror you recommend ? thanks
while it pains me to say it the Oberon replicas from Hong Kong are superb and the Motrax replicas, which I have on mine, are also very good. Better and cheaper than Motrax. I have had Motrax and they corrode in front of you eyes, the Hong Kong ones have a better finish. The field of view is awesome. If you want even better field of view get the convex glass ones.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-Motorcycle-Bar-End-Mirrors-Honda-Yamaha-Suzuki-Kawasaki-7-8-Black-/310370625878?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item484387e956#ht_3471wt_954

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-Universal-3-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Bar-End-Mirror-/180790376548?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item2a17f23864#ht_2112wt_1187 yes I know the bike is grim but I don't have any good pics with the mirrors fitted.

Robfzs

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 15 January 2012, 01:57:21 pm »
thanks for the reply,i'll probs get the ones you put in the first link,look abit nicer haha

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 16 January 2012, 10:10:30 am »
thanks for the reply,i'll probs get the ones you put in the first link,look abit nicer haha
yes they are, I fitted mine on a Mates Z1000 and looked the part. You can see mines a bit of a commuter though but all the important stuff is good  :rollin

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 January 2012, 11:16:41 am »
If I was to buy the Renthal 758's will I need to lengthen the throttle & clutch cable? As when I tried with the 789's I found I needed to lengthen the clutch/throttle & and brake lines. This is something I also want to avoid!! Any advice would be most appreciated i.e. cable re-routes or companies that supply the longer cables as may well be required if im to carry out the mod. Many thanks, Charlie.
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 January 2012, 05:10:14 pm »
The 758s are quite a bit wider than standard so can easily stand chopping a bit off to allow original cables to fit.

The additional issue you will face is the bar ends. You need to either buy some with an 'expanding plug' type fit or 'tap' the new bars to provide a thread to take the originals.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 18 January 2012, 10:21:24 pm »
ultra lows don't needs cables extending. Don't really need bar ends. I get the sense of deja vu here.

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 19 January 2012, 04:12:12 pm »
Ultra lows ordered!! thanks for the advice Keno & Kebab  :D
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!