Date: 25-05-24  Time: 15:31 pm

Author Topic: vibrators  (Read 4038 times)

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
vibrators
« on: 27 March 2013, 08:42:46 pm »
i work on building sites and are told about vibration white finger all the time, i have prob got it from the use of sthill saws wacker plates etc etc, do we get it from our bikes? and if so is there a chart saying which ones have the less vibration , etc etc.
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: vibrators
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2013, 09:06:22 pm »
had a girlfriend who said she had "vibration white cl*****s" from using a vibrator when her partner was "away" for four years, lol.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2013, 09:11:08 pm »
yes very serious, the ends of all my fingers are going white and bloody serious pain in them whilst out today, :(

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2013, 09:29:28 pm »
might be more because of the cold
thou shalt not kick

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2013, 09:32:47 pm »
Yes bikes have vibration and its minimal bar weights and rubber pegs etc are designed to reduce it, but there won't be a list as such, a vibey 125 will be high and a smooth 4 cylinder like your bike will be low.
I suggest your got this from your job and not the bike at all, maybe time to change jobs or get the appropriate ppe.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2013, 12:16:28 am »
The noise level on a motorbike is much worse than the vibration, but most of that vibration will depend on the quality of the shock absorbers and the quality of the road.

If you want less shock I'd recommend you buy something designed to absorb shock a lot. I.E. a tourer or adventure bike rather than a sports bike or superbike.

Just my 2p.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2013, 01:21:37 am »
Two things to consider:

1) How tightly are you gripping the bars? You shouldn't need to put any pressure on them, I was always told you should hold them like you had an egg in your hand.

2) If you're wearing multiple layers under your jacket because of the cold, check that nothing's digging in under your armpit or nearby, this can actually reduce the blood supply to your hands causing the effect you mention.

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2013, 06:20:42 am »
You work on a building site, I suggest you drink a cup of concrete and harden the fuck up!  :rollin

pierre

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CBF 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2013, 06:36:02 am »
I changed from a V twin to a CBF 600 because of White Finger. Still There. They now believe I have Reynards Disease, circulation problem.
I am 63,so I guess age had a bearing on that. Good luck.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2013, 06:51:47 am »
 :)    Have you guys seen the 'anti cramp' gizmo thing that Scottoiler do .. a small black plastic 'paddle' that slides over the throttle grip.   

You can then rotate it and adjust it so that your wrist is resting on it (when cruising) to hold a constant speed.   Saves the need to grip anything and that gives your hand(s) a rest , without the vibes.  Bit like Cruise Control Systems .. but much simpler.

They come in two 'widths' wide and narrow .. and two Grip Sizes .. Fat for Heated Grips or Thin for standard grips.

8)  The wide one is (IMO) too big .. it gets in the way of your thumb when you do need to grip the bars. They 'rotate' on (and off) in two seconds .. no tools required .. so no risk of having them go 'walkabout' when you are parked up.

I have recently been trying the narrow one over heated grips .. this size seems to work OK .. once you get used to them.  Like most things new .. they look a little bit strange at first .. but of course it's all out of sight under your hand when in use.

Ideal for the motorway commute cruisers and long haul touring enthusiasts .. a very simple idea that helps stop cramp and vibes, etc. Worth a go for about £5.00 .. I recon.

Stay Safe  ;)     Trev        (I'd guess Scottoiler might show these on their web-site ?)

« Last Edit: 28 March 2013, 07:06:09 am by purplebear7 »

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2013, 07:32:02 am »
:)    Have you guys seen the 'anti cramp' gizmo thing that Scottoiler do .. a small black plastic 'paddle' that slides over the throttle grip.   

You can then rotate it and adjust it so that your wrist is resting on it (when cruising) to hold a constant speed.   Saves the need to grip anything and that gives your hand(s) a rest , without the vibes.  Bit like Cruise Control Systems .. but much simpler.

They come in two 'widths' wide and narrow .. and two Grip Sizes .. Fat for Heated Grips or Thin for standard grips.

8)  The wide one is (IMO) too big .. it gets in the way of your thumb when you do need to grip the bars. They 'rotate' on (and off) in two seconds .. no tools required .. so no risk of having them go 'walkabout' when you are parked up.

I have recently been trying the narrow one over heated grips .. this size seems to work OK .. once you get used to them.  Like most things new .. they look a little bit strange at first .. but of course it's all out of sight under your hand when in use.

Ideal for the motorway commute cruisers and long haul touring enthusiasts .. a very simple idea that helps stop cramp and vibes, etc. Worth a go for about £5.00 .. I recon.

Stay Safe  ;)     Trev        (I'd guess Scottoiler might show these on their web-site ?)

Took me ages to figure out what that did a few months ago but it's only worth it if you do a lot of motorway miles I reckon. I think this is more of a wrist/finger cramp released and I am 99% sure it'll do nothing for vibrations.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2013, 07:34:49 am »
Oxford and scottoiler do them:

Item: Oxford Motorcycle Bike Cruise Aid Suitable for most Bikes and Scooters OF378

URL: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=271146226534

Alt URL: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oxford-Motorcycle-Bike-Cruise-Aid-Suitable-most-Bikes-and-Scooters-OF378-/271146226534

(Sent from eBay Mobile for Android)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2013, 07:38:15 am »
In Scotland we have a clever invention which cures the cold / sore hands associated with riding in the dead of winter - its called  ....... the car! lol

Seriously if you think the vibes from a jap inline 4 are bad you have problems - take a go on an old British single and you will suddenly feel great about your Fazer - I did a 150mile ride on my BSA last year and lost two fillings.

"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2013, 09:13:13 am »
In Scotland we have a clever invention which cures the cold / sore hands associated with riding in the dead of winter - its called  ....... the car! lol
:rollin

pongeroon

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW F800R
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2013, 09:22:42 am »
I used to get this sometimes when I had my Fazer 1000. Not often though, so it may be a bit of Reynauds. especially as I don't seem to get it on my F800R, which is a twin. I haven't had the new bike long, though, so it is too soon to judge really.
Might be worth getting checked out by your GP, Taylor.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2013, 09:34:21 am »
As far as I can see here .. all these on eBay are the Wide type ... the narrow jobby that I have is only about 1" (old money) wide for the full length.   Just info  :)     Trev

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2013, 12:09:14 pm »
Why was this topic called vibrators rather than vibrations ?

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2013, 12:14:58 pm »
Why was this topic called vibrators rather than vibrations ?

It's funnier...

Anyway, souds like your work that's causing the issue. I'd look into some better PPE, max working times on certain machines etc to stop/slow the damage the machines are causing to your hands.

The vibrations on the bike, unless yours is knackered or you ride on dirt tracks all the time, is so little that it wouldn't cause your condition to get worse. However getting cold hands while riding will make the symptoms of white knuckle worse for a while and your hands will take a while to recover because of the condition so get yourself some decent gloves and/or heated grips, this will help the circulation in your hands and therefore help them feel better.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2013, 07:43:21 pm »
There a limitations on the use of all vibratory equipment.Where I work,which is heavy engineering, there are limits shown on posters and on the company intranet that show the amount of time you can use each different piece of equipment in a 24hr period.
If you are in a union you can get advice off them, or the company you work for should have the information.
White finger is taken very seriously by a lot of companies as you can take legal action against them if they have not taken appropriate precautions to prevent it.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2013, 08:33:45 pm »
cheers everyone, got a lot of info to try out there, graham said about the tight clothes underneath the jacket, there was a big jumper which was tight. i have a pair of heated gloves so will give them a try,  vib white finger was probabilly a ann summer gadget when i started in construction. as for eating concrete jon rather a cooked breky these days.  :lol

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 30 March 2013, 03:22:25 pm »
good good good vibrations :pc

XTremo

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 30 March 2013, 06:19:23 pm »
I've always suffered with it.....but the odd thing is that I get it less with big trailies than with standard bikes.

Maybe cos they've usually got higher, wider bars?

I find that when it happens wait till you're going down an incline so you don't need to use the throttle.

Then just let your right arm hang loosely downwards to your side for as long as you can.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 March 2013, 11:07:49 am »
Reminds me of my old GS500E and trying to get from Ayrshire down to Hastings.  Stopping for petrol and struggling to turn the ignition back on as I could not feel my fingers at all.  As well as riding standing on the pegs cos the hideous seat was killing my arse.  I was a total wreck by the time I got to Hastings.  I was just about in tears with the pain.

Check your carb balance.  Out of balance carbs will generate loads of low level secondary vibs might could maybe be upsetting yer fingers.

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 01 April 2013, 08:45:24 pm »
cheer,s  vna. funny enough my mechanic neighbour said they seemed out of balance, will get him to sort that out. ;)