Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:56 pm

Author Topic: Tall-proofing a Fazer  (Read 9268 times)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Tall-proofing a Fazer
« Reply #25 on: 18 September 2013, 03:59:15 pm »
Perhaps it's psychological, sorry.

The shiny one does feel lower down but is slipper maybe due to the bike have done 30k rather than 6k on the other or maybe the bloke I bought it from was heavier. Dunno.

Either way having your seat reshaped may help. Sorry for my false lead.

Hey don't apologise at all bud, you've given us all definitive proof now!  :D

I might buy a scrap seat anyway and see if I can modify the mountings to raise it a little.
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2013, 04:22:24 pm »

The shiny one does feel lower down but is slipper maybe due to the bike have done 30k rather than 6k on the other or maybe the bloke I bought it from was heavier. Dunno.

I might buy a scrap seat anyway and see if I can modify the mountings to raise it a little.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-FZS-FAZER-1998-2003-FOXEYE-SEAT-SADDLE-RIDERS-SEATS-/111168155144?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19e2236e08

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2013, 04:37:52 pm »
To Yamazer92

Are you sure it's the seat height and not the seat shape?

I'm around 6ft and felt uncomfortable on my fazer when I first got it. 

Wrists ached, knees ached (a bit).

I realised I was always tending to push myself back on the seat when I was braking because the seat slopes towards the tank.

I ended up altering the shape of the seat so it rises up where it meets the tank.

For me it made a massive improvement.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2013, 04:38:14 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-FZS-FAZER-1998-2003-FOXEYE-SEAT-SADDLE-RIDERS-SEATS-/111168155144?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item19e2236e08

Bought!  :D

Now I'll strip the cover off and see if I can mount it underneath my existing seat to raise me up a bit.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2013, 06:05:05 pm »
Now this is a little freaky:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-FZS-FAZER-1998-2003-FOXEYE-SEAT-SADDLE-RIDERS-SEATS/161102233754?

weird.  I'm sure the other one will be fine tho.
« Last Edit: 18 September 2013, 06:08:31 pm by simonm »
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 18 September 2013, 06:23:54 pm »
Kebab if you're on about in my advert then I did answer I just didn't go into a lot of detail. I have previously injured it yes but it wasn't major just hurt to walk o straighten fully for a while, it wasn't dislocated or anything. It probably has never properly healed since, so I would agree it is muscular or cartilage related hence why I think it would be a good idea to see a doctor about it to get a professional opinion. I agree about the seat heightening / sculpting and have a friend who's in a family business that makes custom seats for cafe racers so I could ask him if he could do it then get him to put a cover over the top of the new foam.

I did consider a TDM but they seem quite expensive and honestly I couldn't really see any plus points about them over the Fazer except they are very slightly more comfortable. There was one for sale in a showroom near me but it was quite high mileage, I should go and have another look though and ask to sit on it but it didn't look much taller or bigger really. I do want my legs to be straighter though and I'm confident I would be able to easily handle the extra seat height. As said though, the new problems this brings are - the screen will be directing wind directly under my helmet / neck area at that height and my legs may not go into the tank grooves properly.

Noggy it is the right knee and I will look at the brake pedal on friday when I'm off work, I put the ball of my foot on the peg so that I don't have my leg turned out as I have long feet and my boots scrape on the floor if I take a sharp right.

Paul to be honest I have no idea, I did find at first the shape was odd and slid me into the tank but I think I've since got used to it. It's something worth thinking about though, my dad's mk1 SV seat / tank combo is a lot more comfortable it's just not as good a bike.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 18 September 2013, 07:28:28 pm »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-FAZER-600-FZS-FAZER-1998-2003-FOXEYE-SEAT-SADDLE-RIDERS-SEATS/161102233754?

Hmm.... I'm hoping the guy I bought it off just robbed the picture off this advert, but I'll slap a dispute on his ass if it's not right.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 18 September 2013, 07:38:59 pm »

Hmm.... I'm hoping the guy I bought it off just robbed the picture off this advert, but I'll slap a dispute on his ass if it's not right.

That's the spirit.  Bit of eBay dispute, PayPal and credit card fall back.   He won't know what slapped him in the face with a kipper if it isn't right :-)

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 18 September 2013, 11:27:58 pm »
Just to add to my earlier post, here is the TDM I was on about earlier. I'm not mega interested but will have a look on friday and have a sit on it, my dad has the day off too so he's coming along. I may be more interested when I see it in person, reviews are mixed on the internet with a lot speaking very highly of them and some saying they're very dull. I think the later models like this one are the best ones? Sound nice anyway, bit worried about the mileage but it does have a few nice upgrades like the blue spot calipers on the front.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes/motorcycles/yamaha/tdm/849cc/1999-yamaha-tdm-849-cc-exeter-bfpa-201309048626886?logcode=p

Will let you know how it goes.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 19 September 2013, 10:46:14 am »
Well if you've had an injury you probably need to stretch the ligaments & muscles in the surrounding area. The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook can be downloaded for nowt if you're so inclined, might be worth a look.
Do your feet point outward while you walk? If your feet were the hands of a clock, they should be in the 'twelve noon' or 'five minutes to one o'clock' position. If you're 'ten minutes to two' like me, you're almost guaranteed to have leg, knee & lower back problems.

According to http://cycle-ergo.com/
the knee bend for the 96-01 TDM850 is 80 degrees while the Fzs600 is 74 degrees (smaller number means more bent). More foam in the Fazer seat & those low pegs on fleabay might get you to 80 degrees

Personally I loved my TDM but I know they are a bit Marmite. With suspension upgrades they stay with anything on a tight back road, but they are a good 10 ponies down on the FZS  :(

You're right, miles are too high on that one, particularly for the price.  I'd track down a 30000 miler

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 20 September 2013, 08:04:29 pm »
Well I saw the TDM today, had a sit on it and it was definitely taller and had a nice upright position which I liked. That particular one was absolutely not worth the price though and was about 1/4 of the condition my Fazer is in, rear shock looked like it had had it, lots of cracks / scratches all over and the tyres and chain were very worn. But at least I know it's a future candidate and now have a benchmark of what kind of height I need to try and adapt my Fazer too.

Today was the first time I'd ridden my bike for almost a month, started on the button no hassle at all and rode faultlessly for the whole ride over dartmoor we did after viewing the TDM. My knee ache hasn't improved though, if anything it's worse. I'm glad I didn't sell it though and am looking forward to adapting it to myself. It might take a while but I'll take some photos when it's all done.

Oh yeah and kebab when I walk apparently my feet point inwards not out according to my mum although I think they are straight myself. Still going to go to the doctor though.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 23 September 2013, 11:15:10 pm »

That's the spirit.  Bit of eBay dispute, PayPal and credit card fall back.   He won't know what slapped him in the face with a kipper if it isn't right :-)

Well I got it today and stripped it down. It looks like adding the base to my existing seat will give less than an inch extra height, so it might be better to add the foam on top instead.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 24 September 2013, 01:15:39 am »
Isn't that the only way?

If you want to be really posh, you can get heater pads for seats that need to be fitted under the cover!  :)
« Last Edit: 24 September 2013, 09:22:38 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 24 September 2013, 12:23:14 pm »

Well I got it today and stripped it down. It looks like adding the base to my existing seat will give less than an inch extra height, so it might be better to add the foam on top instead.

Two things. I'm glad it turned up and was as expected. When I saw the other link I was a little worried. Second, as Darrsi said, why remove foam to add foam? May as well just glue the suckered on top and a heated seat sounds funky too.

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 24 September 2013, 05:49:35 pm »

Yeah I was thinking originally that the new seat's base could be bolted to my original seat base to add the height, but it leaves the frame and all a bit exposed to the elements.

Heated pads do sound tempting, and I reckon it'll be no problem to carve the foam up and add the front part under my existing seat.  :)

SteveMc278

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 27 September 2013, 07:52:24 pm »
Yamazer-92 - Don't forget that the thickness of your boot souls and heals plus profile of the toes of the boot will all impact on your comfort so for eg a sleek sports boot will be much more comfortable than an adventure or touring boot which will also have a large instep. I had got myself some of those TCX Infinity GTX type boots but find them too bulky for the FZS.
I'd be interested to hear what kind of boots Punkstig, ExupNut or any other couriers use on their FZS600's?
The road to success is always under construction.....
Happiness is finding you have another gear left....
If there's no solution then its not a problem.