Date: 17-06-24  Time: 03:51 am

Author Topic: Engine cuts out when put in gear  (Read 14300 times)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Engine cuts out when put in gear
« Reply #25 on: 03 September 2013, 08:41:38 am »
I suppose if you've been fiddling with the front end you could have knocked loose the clutch switch cable or trapped it  ?

Lift  tank and check the connectors and the wires to and from the clutch switch with an aa battery, wire and light bulb if need be.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 03 September 2013, 08:42:24 am »
I see you say you've done a rebuild after a crash.

What areas of the bike have you been working on? Logic suggests that it's something you have been working on.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 03 September 2013, 08:46:43 am »
Work completed;

Remove front fairing, remove light unit from fairing, replace fairing mounting bracket, replace light unit, attach to new front fairing. Remove front forks, strip them down, replace seals (oil and dust), replace fork oil and replace inner fork legs, rebuild forks, reattach forks, reattach front fairing, bleed front brakes.

That's everything - I guess I will need to go hunting after I get a battery for my multimeter. I don't have the spare parts to create a simple light bulb test

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 03 September 2013, 09:05:02 am »
I seem to remember someone having this problem before and it was a connection to the diodes as mentioned in a previous post.
Andy

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 03 September 2013, 09:10:46 am »
I seem to remember someone having this problem before and it was a connection to the diodes as mentioned in a previous post.
Andy

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,3922.msg32072.html#msg32072

Or

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9697.25.html

Maybe ?
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 03 September 2013, 09:19:58 am »
Work completed;

Remove front fairing, remove light unit from fairing, replace fairing mounting bracket, replace light unit, attach to new front fairing. Remove front forks, strip them down, replace seals (oil and dust), replace fork oil and replace inner fork legs, rebuild forks, reattach forks, reattach front fairing, bleed front brakes.

That's everything - I guess I will need to go hunting after I get a battery for my multimeter. I don't have the spare parts to create a simple light bulb test

Nothing stands out there.

What side did the the bike go down on?

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 03 September 2013, 09:35:47 am »
Left hand side
Andy

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,3922.msg32072.html#msg32072

Or

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,9697.25.html

Maybe ?

Lol, that second link is this thread you doughnut :P

Bike went down on its left hand side

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 September 2013, 09:50:47 am »

Bike went down on its left hand side

I know you've been looking at the side stand switch, but I'd keep delving in there.

Also I'd be having a look at the switch, connectors and wiring on the clutch lever too.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 September 2013, 09:54:50 am »
hi,deadeye..ive got a spare relay if you need one?....there are 2 types ones a 9pin ,the other is a 16pin i think yours being a 2000/01 model is a 9 pin?...if you want to give it a try pm me?...cheers clive.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 03 September 2013, 11:35:10 am »
Thanks for the offer CRH, but I don't think I'll need it :)

So, this mornings developments. Bike won't start in neutral  :'(

Spent a while unclipping things, spraying WD40 on them and reattaching. Then ripped out the stuff for my heated grips... that don't work anyway...

I also took the advice from robby boy about trying to move the rear wheel whilst the clutch was pulled in and no joy... which means the clutch isn't disengaging, great... Looked at the lever a bit closer and oh joy, the screw bit on the end of the clutch cable has snapped and is just bending when the clutch is pulled in. So off with the cable and remove the remains of the screw bit and then that's when I noticed why the bike wasn't starting...

Fecking kill switch has been knocked to half way between on and off *sighs*

So, turn kill switch off, push starter and the bike tries to start (in neutral), awesome! Put bike in gear, push starter, bike tries to start, epic!!

So, it appears whatever problem there was, I have magically resolved. BUT I now need to sort out the clutch... so... much... effort...

Edit: Does anyone know of an alternative to Part No. 9 as listed on this page http://www.yamahascooterspares.co.uk/genuineparts/9654/44/yamaha%20fzs600%20fazer/handle%20switch.%20lever?uID=0

Would save me the hassle of having to wait for ever due to it being a special order part. Surely there are universal parts available from somewhere, no?
« Last Edit: 03 September 2013, 11:46:45 am by Dead Eye »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 03 September 2013, 02:03:52 pm »
An update for all you lovely foccers out there which should be a nice change of pace from the "Another one down..." thread ;)

It struck me about a half hour ago that I have a burnt out bike to which I still have the remaining levers... so I run out the garage, dig around in the old rusty parts and find my old handle bars and levers, WITH the bolt I need still intact, booyah!

So the afternoon, work permitting, will be me stripping off the handlebars and replacing them with my Renthals, which turned up today, and my new shorty levers - plus my tacky but cheap new mirrors have arrived as well :D

I don't want to jynx it, but I might be able to go out for a ride this evening!  :eek

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 03 September 2013, 02:24:56 pm »
I don't want to jynx it, but I might be able to go out for a ride this evening!  :eek

:woot

Good luck!
The Deef's apprentice

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 03 September 2013, 02:49:43 pm »
yesssssss....well done matey  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 03 September 2013, 02:54:36 pm »
WOOP WOOP.

Sometimes troubleshooting can turn in to a comedy  :D

Yeah, I am donut man, hear me roar.  Let us know how it goes

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 03 September 2013, 08:20:52 pm »
Woo!

Bike is back! Went out for about 30~ glorious and overdue miles this evening to make sure everything was behaving correctly. Not sure if its the new riding position, but my arm was certainly aching. The fact that its only my left arm leads me to believe that my shoulder isn't fully healed yet :(

In any case, a few tidy up jobs required. I need a new front left indicator, refit the mudguard (completely forgot about it...), get some new bar end weights as the bars are buzzy as hell and my existing ones wouldn't even work as paper weights... hell, they'd be blown away before the paper...

Clutch was a bit slippy at first, but I think my bike is just like that as I remember it being a bit finicky when I took it off the road whilst getting the engine studs sorted. In short, it probably needs new clutch plates, but I'm too poor for that at the moment. In any case, it settled in and stopped slipping by the end of the ride :)

Front suspension feels much better after the rebuild and I dropped the forks through the yokes by about 5mm and it feels a bit better for it ^^

Thinking about it, I may get some bar risers... not sure yet though...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 03 September 2013, 09:06:43 pm »
nice one DEADEYE....you both deserve a trip to the seaside  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....