Date: 01-06-24  Time: 17:34 pm

Author Topic: Worst bike you have ever riden?  (Read 11644 times)

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Worst bike you have ever riden?
« on: 01 September 2013, 12:29:49 am »
When, why and what was it you did or did not like.

Today
An offer to purchase as they thought it was my sort of bike (I ride a  :faz and need no other substitute)
1300 Honda Pan Europe

the most boring bike that I raised a leg to. Honestly 1300cc of mellowness that made me frown after the initial 3 mile run out. Its a good job I had my Bro's son with me on my  :faz that I mugged him for.

1300 Honda Pan Europe = No smiles

Daz

She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Worst bike you have ever riden?
« Reply #1 on: 01 September 2013, 12:35:36 am »
Had a go of a friends Honda nc700x or whatever it's called.

It wasn't a bad bike and you certainly can't complain about the mpg but foc me it was boring... It's the bike equivalent of a 1.4 diesel fiesta... not bad, but very dull. I was very happy to jump back on my fazer after that.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 September 2013, 12:42:15 am »
I was given a trimuph cafe racers as a curtosy bike it only had a few hundred miles on it black chrome very sleek clipons the works
 it was bloody awful uncomfortable noisy handle like the wheels were made of concrete I had it for two days , I couldnt wait to give it back !
that was about 2004

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 September 2013, 12:48:48 am »
Got to be a penny farthing...It's a long way down when you fall off....And you will !

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 September 2013, 01:07:58 am »
I rode a scooter once.
Just once. Think it was a Vespa 150.
Most dangerous pile of unwieldy crap I have ever had the (dis)pleasure to throw a leg over. It was like it knew I was a proper motorcyclist and therefore wanted to kill me. :b
Full respect to people who ride these things and enjoy it. Very brave.
Scared me shitless :eek
Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 September 2013, 01:17:54 am »
Hired an Aprilia 50cc 'ped on Symi a few months ago. Not god-awful, but far from great!

Scratch that, the worst bike I ever rode was the first - the (very!) clapped out YBR on which I did my CBT. Talk about the gearbox from the stoneage!  :eek
The Deef's apprentice

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 September 2013, 07:15:33 am »
Hired a 7 year old Hardly Dangerous for a 7 week Great Pacific Highway & Bush ride out in Australia .. Engine was so bad (until I paid to get it rebuilt in week 2) that the crankshaft was in two halves  :eek   when the guy opened it up!

If it had 'let go' on the move it could have killed us both.  Took us 5 weeks to do the 2.500 miles half of it on rainforest dirt tracks or sand and rock desert .. totally crazy .. but quite an adventure.

The brand new UK based Pan European was not much better .. over 12 STONE heavier than a Gen 1 .. yes really !

Stay Safe .. stick with the Den 1 .. best all rounder ever!

Polar Bear.  Spain  (over 50 bikes in more than 50 years)

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 September 2013, 07:40:08 am »
In my very limited experience of riding, it has to be a either a Kawasaki ZXR400 or a Suzuki GS500.
I sampled my riding school's GS during my direct access for the crack, not that I was ever going to take the test on a 500. Took me 20 yards to realise it wasn't for me.
Once I passed, I had a spin on my mate's ZXR and had the same opinion just as quick.

Nothing really wrong with them per se, apart from being far too small for me.
When I sat on the ZXR it felt like my heels were touching my arse and my elbows were touching my knees in typical sports bike fashion.

Riding the GS was pretty much the same except my back was more upright, just as cramped though.  :\
« Last Edit: 01 September 2013, 01:04:14 pm by mr self destruct »
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 September 2013, 07:53:12 am »
400 Superdream. I bought it to use as a winter hack, but everything gave up at once - clutch, cam chain. God, that thing used to wobble round the corners! I took it to a local stealer and said what will you give me for it?
We don't really want it mate.
Come on, I don't want much.
No, really, we're not interested.
Well, I'm not riding it home.
£50?
Done!

I once test rode a 2nd hand GS850G, cos I needed a bike but didn't have much dosh. Heavy, slow, totally uninspiring - like driving a bus. I bought a 350 Powervalve instead - a brilliant move!

And I too once rode a 125 scooter. I kept grabbing the brake cos I was used to having a clutch. Yeah, those things are wobbly! I have since sworn that when scooters are the only thing I can ride, it's time to give up 2 wheels...

Loz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 918 Blade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 September 2013, 08:24:49 am »
Got a few for different reasons  :rolleyes
GSWR1000 K5...........most uncomfortable thing ever! (but I am old lol) awesome engine though

BMW800ST ........most boring ride ever!

Bergman 400 Scoot........Very scary lol don't feel right not having something between your legs  :\   :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 September 2013, 08:43:18 am »
........Very scary lol don't feel right not having something between your legs  :\   :lol

:eek

garyb

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 September 2013, 08:56:51 am »
Harley sportster sport 1200 - 6 month old bike.

Front brakes were pure crap, no stopping power at all.

Rear shocks also bottomed out at every opportunity even with pre load up to max, I weighed around 14 stone at the time so this shouldn't have been an issue.

Engine was the new rubber mounted model which was supposed to better dampen out the vibes from the previous models, I think I'am still shaking 2 years later!

Pulling in the clutch was unbelievably difficult and was a killer in town.

Not for me thanks!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 September 2013, 09:25:35 am »
Aprillia Futura. Its one of those quirky bikes which I find good looking. Its comfy as an arm chair, big effective screen, and ace riding position.
Its got the worst fuel injection ever! Trying to dial in the throttle for a bend, you start to turn the throttle until the engine responds, more, and more, and more, until your at almost 1/2 a twist, already in the corner and leaning over Then BANG!!! About 80 horsepower hits the rear wheel! It was never the same ammount of twist to dial in the power, and in the wet it was quite scary. its just a quirk of the bike apparently. :-[
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 September 2013, 09:47:13 am »
Hmmm, interesting question. I have had too many bikes to remember, but I can't recall a bad one really. They all had their own good and bad points,  depending on what i wanted at the time. For example, my vn1500 was awesome for cruising and posing, but shit on fuel economy or off roading lol, my crf250l is a cracking little green laner but is unstable on motorways at over 80, my fazers were brilliant all rounders but slow compared to my gixer11, my cx500 rat was brilliant for rallies and dumping overnight infields ccar parks etc but didnt handle too well, rgv250 went like stink and handled like a dream but was a bit cramped..... the list goes on, all bikes have their own merits and limitations.

Even the little chinky 50cc scooter that was in the family for a good few years... it was slow, unstable, ugly, hard to start, fragile plastics and just generally shit, BUT .... it only used £1.30 of fuel a week to get me to work and back every day!!!! Tax was £15 and insurance was £60 fully comp.

Strifae

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 September 2013, 10:25:33 am »
Most boring bike I have ridden was an FJR1300 - bored me to tears - comfy etc... But no spark when riding it.

Seeing above posters - I rode a Vespa 125 in Tuscany and absolutely loved it! Haha I am seriously considering getting one as well as my FZ1!

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 September 2013, 10:55:07 am »
Worst bike I ever rode was a Buell Lightning - gearbox and engine were sooo terrible... Never again.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright

jon

• FOC-U Crucifixion Consultant
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - CRF250L, Stage 1 tuned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 September 2013, 11:17:07 am »
^^^^ interesting, my buell ulysses was one of the best bikes ive ridden! Engine sounded lovely, pulled like a train in every gear, it was like riding a dumper truck on steriods! Shame it was so expensive to run really or I might have kept it.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 01 September 2013, 02:06:47 pm »
Had an unfaired Bandit 650 as a courtesy bike for a few months, the engine was OK but I just didn't take to the bike...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 01 September 2013, 09:41:20 pm »
Hmmm, interesting question. I have had too many bikes to remember, but I can't recall a bad one really. They all had their own good and bad points,  depending on what i wanted at the time. For example, my vn1500 was awesome for cruising and posing, but shit on fuel economy or off roading lol, my crf250l is a cracking little green laner but is unstable on motorways at over 80, my fazers were brilliant all rounders but slow compared to my gixer11, my cx500 rat was brilliant for rallies and dumping overnight infields ccar parks etc but didnt handle too well, rgv250 went like stink and handled like a dream but was a bit cramped..... the list goes on, all bikes have their own merits and limitations.

Even the little chinky 50cc scooter that was in the family for a good few years... it was slow, unstable, ugly, hard to start, fragile plastics and just generally shit, BUT .... it only used £1.30 of fuel a week to get me to work and back every day!!!! Tax was £15 and insurance was £60 fully comp.

Like that Jon, you're obviously a real "glass-half-full" kinda guy!
Fizzy, got to ride Exups today, and it proved what I always suspected about blue ones: S----L----O----W.  :rollin
To give him his due tho', he's a good guitarist - get a different colour bike Pete, and you'll be complete!
Back to subject - RG500 as a motorway commuter bike - not a recommended use for it!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 01 September 2013, 10:04:59 pm »
The only go I've had on a sports bike was on a ZX7 being tall as soon as I set off I got cramp in my leg went to put my foot down and my shoe lace was caught on the gear change, nearly dropped it, ok I shouldn't have tried riding with trainers on but that was the end of my sports bike test ride about 400yds,
The worst bike brakes was on a 1950's Royal Enfield Bullet 500, you could stand on the rear brake and it would only slow you down and the front wasn't much better to say it was a twin sided one.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 September 2013, 10:15:15 pm »
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

jackojet

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2015 R1 and 2015 speed triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 02 September 2013, 04:17:53 am »
Suzuki TL1000s
had the weird rear shock set up.
Had a go on a mates, all went well till I tried to exit a bend, the wallow and tankslapper that followed, nearly ended with me in a hedge :eek
A week later he crashed it :rolleyes

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 02 September 2013, 02:35:22 pm »
Probably the SV650. Wouldn't be had for a first bike I suppose, but it was underpowered, underbraked and very basically suspended. Did have a sweet chassis though, and once my mate had GSXR-D the brakes and suspension it was a lot better - but still bloody slow!

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 02 September 2013, 03:10:33 pm »
Nick's fart lol
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #24 on: 02 September 2013, 03:16:04 pm »
The absolute worst for me would be a Vespa or my sons moped. Both had silly little wheels with no real stability.
For bigger bikes, GarethG's Enfield Bullet was a bit weird but his Goldwing had to be the worst big bike I have ridden.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again