Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:00 pm

Author Topic: gen 1 best fuel  (Read 7348 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: gen 1 best fuel
« Reply #25 on: 22 August 2013, 10:05:09 pm »
Now here's a thought for you.

If by using an ignition advancer - which simply means the spark is provided x number of degrees earlier (the engine rotating 360 degrees) than standard.  So if this gives a you a power gain with 95 or 98 RON petrol (whichever the advancer is designed  to work with).

Then does it not follow, that if your bike's ignition is set for 92RON, and you put 95RON in, or 98RON, you will get a slight drop off in performance? (with no advancer fitted)

Surely.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 22 August 2013, 10:56:20 pm »
DIY ignition advancer, see in this thread,

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?topic=2243.0 

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 August 2013, 12:58:27 pm »
Today with my Gen 1 Thou I put in 20.5 litres of 91RON non Ethanol from 711 (usually use V Power 98RON) and did 280kms today hitting the twisties.

For whatever reason it did not stack up against the V Power. Especially noticeable with low down torque and top end power.

Mid range I couldn't tell.  3000 rpms 2nd gear wide open throttle a definite lack of grunt.

Whatever those boys at Shell are doing they are doing well. RON facts aside (as respect them) my bike loves the stuff and will continue to use the V Power.
where does the muffler go?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 25 August 2013, 08:49:08 pm »
The owners manual says;

Your Yamaha engine has been designed to use regular unleaded gasoline with a research octane number of 91 or higher.  If knocking (or pinging) occurs, use a gasoline of a different brand or premium unleaded fuel.

No 95 RON round your way camshaft?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 August 2013, 09:22:34 pm »
Well, I spent today filling up with 95 (4 fill-ups) and I'll carry on with that for a while, just to see. I still insist that the V-Power eases the standard low down glitches, unfortunately mine has somewhat rather more severe tantrums below 3k at the moment and so is not a good test bike for this. Above 4k it doesn't seem to matter so much, and above 7k, I'm just trying to hang on and don't have time to think about it! But I note that the quote you used, VNA, just says "91 or above". Not very helpful, as part of what we're trying to decide here is whether higher octanes are actually not very good for the gen 1? So when they say "above", what's the limit?

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 25 August 2013, 09:25:06 pm »
Well, I spent today filling up with 95 (4 fill-ups) and I'll carry on with that for a while, just to see. I still insist that the V-Power eases the standard low down glitches, unfortunately mine has somewhat rather more severe tantrums below 3k at the moment and so is not a good test bike for this. Above 4k it doesn't seem to matter so much, and above 7k, I'm just trying to hang on and don't have time to think about it! But I note that the quote you used, VNA, just says "91 or above". Not very helpful, as part of what we're trying to decide here is whether higher octanes are actually not very good for the gen 1? So when they say "above", what's the limit?

But which octane rating should you use for a bike with a trailer?  :lol :lol :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Camshaft

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 26 August 2013, 09:11:51 am »
VNA - yes, the 95RON will be the next tank full.

Save a bit of cash. Hopefully this will be the sweetspot (not wetspot  :rolleyes ) for the bike.
« Last Edit: 26 August 2013, 09:13:19 am by Camshaft »
where does the muffler go?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 26 August 2013, 07:39:26 pm »
It's says 91 and above, because below 91 it will pink or knock.

4 fill ups in a day?  That's a bit of running aboot.

Has yours been Ivanised Nick?

Aye Camshaft, if it's noticeably not happy on 91RON, then def go for the 95.  Should be zero chance of pinking on 95RON.

Capt

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 26 August 2013, 08:56:19 pm »
After reading this tread, cant say I have ever taken much notice of the actual octane rating where I live, more about having to fill up with what is available before running out, although normally with all well branded suppliers of normal unleaded. That said, full Monty, Akra slip on, 3 deg advancer, TPS Dynamically set at full anti clockwise,................ran two full tanks today on BP unleaded 95 ron.  Runs a treat no problems at all just like with all the other different brands used, not that I am praising 95 Ron or this brand however, if there is anything better out there I'm all ears.

Anyone else got some feedback on the specific fuel used/state of tune setup?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 26 August 2013, 09:27:43 pm »
It's says 91 and above, because below 91 it will pink or knock.

4 fill ups in a day?  That's a bit of running aboot.

Has yours been Ivanised Nick?

Aye Camshaft, if it's noticeably not happy on 91RON, then def go for the 95.  Should be zero chance of pinking on 95RON.

No not Ivanised yet. I didn't actually run the tank right down between fill-ups, but it certainly got some caning on Sunday! I think I spent about £40-£50 on fuel, but got home with about 3/4 of a tank left after final fill-up. 345 hard miles. It ran a treat on the 95, but we weren't at town speeds much ( ;) ) - I'm hoping that Ivanising in late Sept will help with it's reluctance to behave at lower revs. Can't say the change in fuel has made any difference on this one, but it's problems are a little more severe than most.
TBH, it's rare I can take in all this tech stuff properly, but I'm reading with interest, and learning (hopefully). Mike (Falcon269) has been a great help with everything tech so far (as have you), but sometimes even knowledgeable folks disagree on stuff. Well, in the end, for me, it's about getting out and riding, if I can get my bike running as good as possible within my budget, I'll be more than happy.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 26 August 2013, 10:14:47 pm »
Hopefully Ivanising will sort your low rpm issues.

When I got mine, new in 2004, I found it would not run sweet at low rpm small throttle openings.  Like running through a village or town in 6th at 30mph.  It had horrible nasty surging, nor did it pick up that great when you snapped the throttle open on exiting said village or town.

The carbs as standard are set up to pass emission standards.  An Ivans kit gets em set up to their sweetest optimum.

Mike did mine in 2005. 

So I ended up going through villages and towns in 4th.

Ivanising fixes all that, plus gives you a wee bit more go everywhere.

Yeah I can easy spend 50,60 quid on fuel in a day heading off hill walking.  That's in the car.  Fuel is some price, it's crazy.

Ignition timing is a simple concept - http://www.howstuffworks.com/ignition-system1.htm And now it's all electronic, instead of the old spring loaded distributors.

95 RON is just the ticket, 98RON is for higher compression engines, they need it, the Fazer doesnae.