Date: 16-06-24  Time: 00:55 am

Author Topic: Maybe its time for a change - but to what??  (Read 12010 times)

Hogi

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Maybe its time for a change - but to what??
« on: 06 August 2013, 12:04:18 am »
As thread says, I've been a happy Fazer FZS1000 owner for 5 years, put 20,000 miles on her all round N-E and Scotland. The good bits - she's quick enough, fast enough (there's a difference) and stage 1 Ivanised. She tours and scratches, I get over 200 miles to a tank, all day comfortable for me anyway, takes panniers and soft baggage no problem.  She has heated grips, double bubble, pazzo's and is sooo reliable. I've made her my own over the years with sensible add ons and nothing extreme.

But we all get a bit bored now and then and am thinking of a change. however I really want to avoid instantly regretting getting rid of the old girl as I could very easily stay with her for a while yet.

I've always had respect for the 1050 engined Speed triple and am lured by the promise of oceans of torque. I used to have a 885 Sprint until the nephew binned it last year, so I have an idea of what triples deliver. I'm assuming the Speed 1050 just gives a lot more! I've even come to prefer the Dame Edna version over the round headlights. But wind protection is a concern as is economy and I would have to aim for a low slung exhaust.

If money were no object I think the Tiger Sport is the straight replacement for the Fazer - but then I'd be looking at more exotic machinery anyway and its a bit tall. I've got a budget of around £6k inc trade in but am in no hurry. I can easily wait until next Feb when the market is flat to do a deal.

I would really appreciate any comments on gains and losses going the 1050 way - especially from someone who moved to/from a FZS1000 from a Speed. Alternatively I often see FZ1's under 10k miles that are £2k cheaper than the 1050, saving dosh and keeping things in the family. In both cases I'm thinking the trade off is poorer range/comfort but sportier and better suspended.

Or do I simply throw better suspension on FZS, a zaust and braided lines and keep the difference? 8)
Its later than you think

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe its time for a change - but to what??
« Reply #1 on: 06 August 2013, 05:01:35 am »

Or do I simply throw better suspension on FZS, a zaust and braided lines and keep the difference? 8)

Yes. :)

You won't get a Tiger Sport in your budget, they're a new model.  The preceding one feels flabby and wooffly compared with a well-sorted Gen 1.  My neighbour has one and I've ridden it a few times.  It's OK, but it would bore me to own one.

The Speed Triple is nowhere near an all-rounder like the Gen 1.  Panniers and touring?  Not its thing.

New bike syndrome is persuasive but seller's remorse is painful. ;)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 August 2013, 06:58:05 am »
If it were me, I think I'd do as you suggest and wait - but carry on saving. Then keep the Fazer and get something else as a second bike. I don't think you'll ever find a better all-rounder than you've got now. Something a bit sportier as bike no. 2, maybe even a Street Triple, for local fun and hacking about? Then when you need to do distance work/touring, you've still got one of the best bikes in the business for it. Then any time you fancy a change again, trade the Street Triple/other bike. That way you can also keep a newer model of higher value as your trade in, and maybe keep more up to date with whatever is out there. Just an idea to consider, anyway :)

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 August 2013, 08:49:26 am »
I agree with Nick. Since there is nothing out there like the Gen 1, get a second bike!

The problem is, the Gen 1 has a very odd set of abilities. On the one hand it has a revvy engine which is lots of fun to use and thrills like a sportsbike, on the other, it has a very forgiving touring chassis which makes long trips easy. But having tried a lot of bikes over the last few years, nothing compares, and certainly not the Triumph Tiger. It's a different kind of ride, and feels quite dull compared to the Fazer as Falcon said, all long legs and flat power delivery.

For 6k, you've got a massive range of very interesting second bikes to look at. Get a Street Trip if you fancy a Triumph, or do a Mike and get an immaculate early R1. Or save another grand and get a brand new MT-09 triple when it hits the roads.

Happy hunting whatever you decide though.

old son

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZX10R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 August 2013, 09:00:53 am »
I rode a KTM SMT recently and was very impressed. Not sure of reliability but fast and comfortable!!

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2013, 09:36:25 am »
As Mike says you won't want t ride the Speed 3 all day.

I recently switched from a Gen 1 to the Sprint GT. The bike  is IMHO a big step up from the ST. The SE that they are selling now is also great value for money. Not suggesting I don't miss the Fazer but no regrets so far.

My rather rambly thoughts on the bike are here
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2013, 01:09:52 pm »
My bike previous to my Fazer ws a 955 speed triple. I loved the bike, had loads of charachter and was great fun for a sunday blast until a valve guide went - I was warned the cost of Triumph ownership would potentially be higher than going Japanese. IMHO the Fazer is the better all rounder and as far as low down grunt I wouldn't say there was much in it comapred with the 955, though the 1050 may be better, The Fazer is physically bigger which suits me as I'm not a small chap and the misses much prefers being a passenger on the Fazer. Hope that helps.

macmivvi

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2013, 04:22:26 pm »
Try a Ducati ST4S if you can find one, apart from lumpy town behavior and a crap headlight it matches or betters the Fazer. Superb Highland cruising tool, Ive filled up with 230 on the trip more than once. The Fazer can do that too but cant match the way the Ducati flows down the road .

Once I gelled with it and learned to ride it properly, the Fazer was parked for two years , I love my Fazer but it was hard work and heavy in comparison.

Triples are brilliant road engines but generally thirsty, I had a couple of years with a T595 which was thirsty and uncomfortable. Lovely sound though .

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2013, 05:25:42 pm »
I sold my gen 1 Fazer several years ago and regretted it the moment it went.
I'm now back where I belong, on a Fazer 1000, I might get another bike some time in the future, quite fancy a Bonnie but I can honestly say hand on heart I'll never part with the Fazer. For me it's the best do it all bike their is, along with my C90  :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2013, 06:37:47 pm »
So there you have it: Tiger Sport, Speed Triple, Street Triple, R1, KTM SMT, Sprint GT, ST4S, or.... C90 :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2013, 06:43:53 pm »
You should upgrade to a 600 Fazer & swap me your thou ;)

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

seangee

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 16 Tiger Sport, 21 1290 SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2013, 07:54:45 pm »
So there you have it: Tiger Sport, Speed Triple, Street Triple, R1, KTM SMT, Sprint GT, ST4S, or.... C90 :lol
I'm sure someone mentioned a Bonnie too.
Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2013, 08:10:52 pm »
I'm sure someone mentioned a Bonnie too.

All others superfluous when there's a C90 in the mix...

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2013, 08:12:45 pm »
I'm now back where I belong, on a Fazer 1000, I might get another bike some time in the future, quite fancy a Bonnie but I can honestly say hand on heart I'll never part with the Fazer. For me it's the best do it all bike their is, along with my C90  :)

Hey hey! I've got a C90 too. Weird little things but very endearing.

The one bike not mentioned yet which really does beat the Fazer in many ways is the ZZR1400 and you can pick up low mile bikes for less than 6k. Everyone should have one once. So easy to ride and so very very fast.
« Last Edit: 06 August 2013, 08:16:17 pm by AyJay »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 August 2013, 08:24:25 pm »
I wish I could afford a decent 2nd bike. There are loads of great bikes out there if it's just a new experience you want. As I said, I'd keep the Fazer, and if I was in the position to do it, I'd change my 2nd bike regularly, and always for something different. When I was younger, I was able to do this, and it really does boost the biking experience. I'd love to try a Ducati Hypermotard, several KTMs, Aprillia Tuono and many others. If I could keep them for say 8 months to a year, then change again - dream on!

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 August 2013, 09:08:50 pm »
I know, Nick. It's that dream garage syndrome. '89 VFR 750, VF500, RC30, LC 350, Laverda Jota, Crossplane R1, 89 R1, Multistrada, 916, RSV4, Tuono V4, K1600, KH 750, and it goes on and on. Basically, one of everything please. Except a SuperDream. And all Harleys bar the 78 XLCR.

I had a shot on the Tuono V4 last year. Deeply impressive. It's a MotoGP bike with high bars, but 35mph/90 to a tank, plank for a seat and less wind protection than a pushbike meant I couldn't justify it. And the ZZR was way less than half the price.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 August 2013, 09:21:52 pm »
Ah gawd yes - I forgot about 2 strokes! Another tuned 350 p/valve for kicks! I won't have any more 750 H2s though - too fragile even as standard, and lethal when tuned! Oh, but good nick p/valves are stupid money these days, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted. Stephens stage 3, Stephens/Lomas pipes, some nice light reeds with the stops opened out a little, put some decent suspenders on = major grin factor! I'm not too old to be a hooligan again, y'know! :lol

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 06 August 2013, 10:18:51 pm »
Ah gawd yes - I forgot about 2 strokes! Another tuned 350 p/valve for kicks! I won't have any more 750 H2s though - too fragile even as standard, and lethal when tuned! Oh, but good nick p/valves are stupid money these days, otherwise I'd be sorely tempted. Stephens stage 3, Stephens/Lomas pipes, some nice light reeds with the stops opened out a little, put some decent suspenders on = major grin factor! I'm not too old to be a hooligan again, y'know! :lol

You met Eugene, right? The bloke on the Aprilia RS125 at Ace Cafe? He has another RS - bored out to 155, a 2 stroke 400, another 125 (I think), and a YBR 125 he uses when all the others have blown up!  :lol :lol :lol

And yes, he is a hooligan. And yes, his bikes blow up on a regular basis...  :lol
« Last Edit: 06 August 2013, 10:25:10 pm by ChristoT »
The Deef's apprentice

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 August 2013, 10:23:54 pm »

Hey hey! I've got a C90 too. Weird little things but very endearing.

The one bike not mentioned yet which really does beat the Fazer in many ways is the ZZR1400 and you can pick up low mile bikes for less than 6k. Everyone should have one once. So easy to ride and so very very fast.

See, nowt wrong with C90's, does everything a bigger bike does only slower  ;) :D

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 06 August 2013, 10:32:10 pm »

You met Eugene, right? The bloke on the Aprilia RS125 at Ace Cafe? He has another RS - bored out to 155, a 2 stroke 400, another 125 (I think), and a YBR 125 he uses when all the others have blown up!  :lol :lol :lol

And yes, he is a hooligan. And yes, his bikes blow up on a regular basis...  :lol
Yeah, but I pander after the experience of my yoof! Thing about the Yam 350 p/valve is, it's more of a streetbike, which is the kind of thing that appeals to me these days. Can't use bikes with clip-on style bars anymore :(  The p/valves were so easy to go silly on. If you've never had the confidence to pull wheelies, the p/valves would have you doing them within a day or two, literally. So easy, so fun to use. And back in the day, so cheap to patch up if you dropped it, which I did a couple of times. Just kick a couple of things straight, and you're back on your way! I traded down and down until a p/valve was all I could afford, and I thought I would get quickly bored with it after fast 4 strokes, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Yam 350 Powervalve =  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Course, it could all be rose-coloured-specs syndrome...

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 August 2013, 10:46:27 pm »

Yeah, but I pander after the experience of my yoof! Thing about the Yam 350 p/valve is, it's more of a streetbike, which is the kind of thing that appeals to me these days. Can't use bikes with clip-on style bars anymore :(  The p/valves were so easy to go silly on. If you've never had the confidence to pull wheelies, the p/valves would have you doing them within a day or two, literally. So easy, so fun to use. And back in the day, so cheap to patch up if you dropped it, which I did a couple of times. Just kick a couple of things straight, and you're back on your way! I traded down and down until a p/valve was all I could afford, and I thought I would get quickly bored with it after fast 4 strokes, but I couldn't have been more wrong. Yam 350 Powervalve =  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Course, it could all be rose-coloured-specs syndrome...

Research!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-RD350-YPVS-Great-Condition-RARE-80s-Classic-/290956350986?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item43be59960a

Or:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-rd350-ypvs-f2-1987-blue-yellow-/281146911851?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4175a96c6b

Or:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-rd350-ypvs-n2-spec-/281146916491?pt=UK_Motorcycles&hash=item4175a97e8b

There you go!  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

AyJay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 August 2013, 11:07:40 pm »
Oh dear.... here we go again .... drool....

I'd love an RD500 and a TDM250 too. It's difficult at this distance to remember just what a different kind of ride a fast two stroke was. Snappy, awkward, flighty buggers they were, but when they came on pipe it was like angels pulling you.... er ... forward. Yes, that was what I was going to say. Forward!

Ahem.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 06 August 2013, 11:17:38 pm »
As thread says, I've been a happy Fazer FZS1000 owner for 5 years, put 20,000 miles on her all round N-E and Scotland. The good bits - she's quick enough, fast enough (there's a difference) and stage 1 Ivanised. She tours and scratches, I get over 200 miles to a tank, all day comfortable for me anyway, takes panniers and soft baggage no problem.  She has heated grips, double bubble, pazzo's and is sooo reliable. I've made her my own over the years with sensible add ons and nothing extreme.

But we all get a bit bored now and then and am thinking of a change. however I really want to avoid instantly regretting getting rid of the old girl as I could very easily stay with her for a while yet.

I've always had respect for the 1050 engined Speed triple and am lured by the promise of oceans of torque. I used to have a 885 Sprint until the nephew binned it last year, so I have an idea of what triples deliver. I'm assuming the Speed 1050 just gives a lot more! I've even come to prefer the Dame Edna version over the round headlights. But wind protection is a concern as is economy and I would have to aim for a low slung exhaust.

If money were no object I think the Tiger Sport is the straight replacement for the Fazer - but then I'd be looking at more exotic machinery anyway and its a bit tall. I've got a budget of around £6k inc trade in but am in no hurry. I can easily wait until next Feb when the market is flat to do a deal.

I would really appreciate any comments on gains and losses going the 1050 way - especially from someone who moved to/from a FZS1000 from a Speed. Alternatively I often see FZ1's under 10k miles that are £2k cheaper than the 1050, saving dosh and keeping things in the family. In both cases I'm thinking the trade off is poorer range/comfort but sportier and better suspended.

You cannot beat a fazer thou for all round riding, reliability and stonking engine, but i think you shouldn't replace it, but buy a bike with 'loads of character'. i considered a 1050 triple, but it was no better than the fazer, so i bought a aprilia tuono v4r, as it needs to be something brilliant but different that you can take out for a couple of hundred miles and grin non stop. Ps.. i would definitely upgrade suspension and end can on the fazer as it makes it far more lively to drive.. Good luck with your choices ;)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 06 August 2013, 11:19:09 pm »
There's always these...

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 August 2013, 11:29:19 pm »
Yummy :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.