Date: 17-06-24  Time: 14:09 pm

Author Topic: Front discs - 1 warped, 1 not. Looking for advice opinions, help, sarcasm etc.  (Read 7047 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
I'm not understanding if its running so far out, how could it not be warped? perhaps the caliper got stuck causing 1 pad to stick on making the disc warm enough to warp?

Can you spin the front wheel freely?

I would suggest at least give your calipers some sort of clean up or service first because if they're not functioning correctly then even a new brake disc will be put to the test, and the caliper may have been the cause if the disc is dodgy.

Cheapest 2nd hand pair of discs on Ebay are just over £90, or a new single disc is a minimum £120+ each, but then that won't be the same disc as you have so that's not a good option. I dread to think of the cost of an original disc? (just checked, £196.52 each :rolleyes )
If you get 2nd hand then you could use your old pads if they're in good nick, but a new disc means new pads.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
"....incompetent drivers giving the bike a nudge when parking...."

Bit random, and as likely as being bent by a pram or shopping trolley!!!

And at the moment there is no real evidence to suggest a new disc is needed at all yet, not until he's done a few tests anyway?
Well, not really. Cars are heavier than a pram. :rolleyes
The OP has measured the disc runout and it's out of spec. Which is evidence.

Generally a sticking piston causes the disc to warp i.e. become dish-shaped, because the force is applied evenly around the disc. When that happens the brakes become very spongy, yet there will probably be no runout. Fizzy's disc is bent, which is more likely to have been caused by external force.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
A few years a go I had a FJ1200 and I was told the bike had warped discs,the judder was quite bad, when I did more checks I found it wasn't the discs at fault but a knackered wheel bearing, there was no noise or issues while riding only while braking.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
"....incompetent drivers giving the bike a nudge when parking...."

Bit random, and as likely as being bent by a pram or shopping trolley!!!

And at the moment there is no real evidence to suggest a new disc is needed at all yet, not until he's done a few tests anyway?
Well, not really. Cars are heavier than a pram. :rolleyes
The OP has measured the disc runout and it's out of spec. Which is evidence.

Generally a sticking piston causes the disc to warp i.e. become dish-shaped, because the force is applied evenly around the disc. When that happens the brakes become very spongy, yet there will probably be no runout. Fizzy's disc is bent, which is more likely to have been caused by external force.

As i explained earlier, the best test is to swap discs and try it out on the other side on it's own, but even that's not foolproof, as i found out when mine turned out to be my braided brake line! But he may find that the disc works fine on the left side, only one way to find out though!

Just for the record i browsed through my previous posts with the problem i had and i was very specific in detail in all the things i had tried and tested (several times), and out of 3 mechanics and this whole forum not one person suggested that the brake lines could be my problem (including myself).
That's why i'm suggesting keeping an open mind at the moment, because i spent a lot of time and money finding out the hard way before fixing it!
And that was only because it was the last thing possible to try  :'(

Yet when i first had the juddering on braking, me and the rest of the world said warped disc straight away, and it made perfect sense, because it gave off all the right signs.
Certainly wasn't the case though.
« Last Edit: 19 July 2013, 10:29:15 am by darrsi »

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
One thing i just remembered, my neighbour, who's a mechanic, gave me a hand with a stubborn disc bolt when i first had my problem, and as i had already bought a shiny new set of discs because warped discs looked like the definite cause at the time he volunteered to bin my old discs for me with his other scrap in his garage.

I won't be doing that again in a hurry as now i know there was nothing wrong with them at all, but you live and learn!  :'(

So if you do get another one do not throw anything away, in case it all starts happening again after fitting the replacement.  ;)

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
LH disc 3.85 / 3.87mm; don't know the minimum limit on the FZS bikes, but on the later FZ6 the disc limit is 4.5mm  - possibly time for new disc/s anyway?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Very nice  :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
very nice indeed, has it solved the problem?

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Thanks mate, What pads have you got? Was thinking to go for the sbs ceramic ones everyone says are good.

Glad it's sorted for you.

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.