Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:21 pm

Author Topic: Smashed mudguard - where to get a new one?  (Read 4751 times)

Digdug

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Smashed mudguard - where to get a new one?
« on: 15 November 2011, 06:50:34 pm »
Some ******* has hit my bike while it was parked on the road outside my house (and, naturally, driven off without stopping  >: ). The front mudguard is smashed, there doesn't seem to be any other damage tho I've only been able to look at it in the dark.

Now, I have no idea how much a front mudguard costs or how difficult it'll be to get one for such an old model (gen 1 Fazer 1000, red). I've had a quick look on fleabay but there's none in the right colour, and I haven't even been able to find one by googling. Can anyone suggest where I could get a replacement one from and how much they are, either new or second hand? I've got a £400 excess for accidental damage so no chance of claiming it on insurance, so I need to keep the cost as low as poss.
Roller Derby Leicester - competitive roller derby league
http://www.rollerderbyleicester.co.uk/

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Smashed mudguard - where to get a new one?
« Reply #1 on: 15 November 2011, 07:24:15 pm »
Hi Digdug
Try bristol bike hut, type that into google it will come up, they have a fazer specific site, sure you'll find a second hand one on there.
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2011, 10:25:44 am »
Ask a dealer how much a new one is.  it may not be much (The gen 1 600 one is cheap).

nakedadder

• "Fat lad from Derby"
    imageSept 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2011, 10:30:44 pm »
Send Deefer and / or Oldmotherfoccer a pm, Deef maybe able to help  ;)
Sent from a fat foccer sitting in front of his pooter

pilgrim

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 November 2011, 09:39:22 pm »
Funnily enough.........
Some silly moo reversed into me a couple of years ago and snapped three inches off the front of my mudguard.
Fortunately that was the only damage. Priced up a new mudguard from local stealer ( Gen 1 Fazer thou in blue) and at the time it was £68 inc vat.
Quite surprised really, but didnt get round to getting one, just profiled the snapped one so its ok :b
But have looked recently and they are not so far off £100 now :eek so probably wont bother. Even so, if you want it back to standard 100 quid or so is a lot less than £400 excess.

Its better to ask a stupid question than make a stupid mistake.

Digdug

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2011, 12:38:31 am »
Thanks for the suggestions. Had a look at Bristol Bike Hut but nothing on there. Will be going to the NEC so will have a look there as well as checking with Deefer and oldmotherfoccer. But I'm beginning to resign myself to having to make the best of the bashed mudguard. Will put a photo up when I get chance in case anyone has any suggestions for how to make it look less manky.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers

Digdug

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2011, 12:07:40 am »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Yamaha-FZS1000-FZS-1000-Fazer-02-Front-Mudguard-/400189767503?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d2d2b3f4f

I know it's blue but that can be rectified!

Thanks karlo but isn't it really pricey to respray bodywork? Esp as the gen 1 thou is a bit of an untypical shade of red (it seems to me anyway).

Here's a pic of the mudguard in question, tbh I'm minded to leave it til a cheap s/h one in the right colour turns up, but if anyone can suggest a way to tidy up this one until then i'd be interested to hear.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2011, 07:24:05 am »
Halfords can mix paint for around £10 in a spray can, You will need some wet & dry (800 grit will do) can plastic primer, can of lacquer, as long as the blue paint is good key the surface apply plastic primer when dry flat back with W&D, apply top coat colour (red) when dry apply lacquer.

You may need more coats of primer depending on the blue paint finish.

You could tidy that original guard carefully with a grinder. If you take the guard off and bring it over I can have a look but I'm fairly busy at the mo so you may have to leave it with me.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #9 on: 23 November 2011, 07:34:49 am »
Do you think you could trim it up and fit a fenda extenda to the front of it?
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Digdug

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2011, 12:06:24 am »
I was also wondering about the option of trimming and fitting a fender extender to the front, not sure if that'd work or not cos the front might be too wide now 2 inches of it have been snapped off? Thanks for the offer Karl but it sounds like you're pretty busy at the mo so maybe I'll ask one of the local builders down the pub if they think they can tidy it up a bit. Will keep looking on ebay, it's not like it's urgent just annoying  :\

PS - I tried to find out at the NEC show today how much a new one would be, no one does them!

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2011, 07:48:27 am »
Excuse my ignorance, but why would you ask a builder to fix a motorbike??
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Digdug

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2011, 12:56:59 pm »
Cos they might have a grinder??

mickdel

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2011, 01:57:35 pm »
Why don't you try breakers?   Should be able to find one without too much bovver
Head Focced

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2011, 11:28:03 pm »
Cut the side out of a suitable sized plastic bottle then pop rivet it inside the damaged guard in a fashion  wich allows it to create a 'beak' which roughly replicated the length and curve of the original guard. Heavily abrade the surface of the mudguard for about 6 inches back into sound material  (I would use a grinder with a 40 grit flap wheel). Form if needs be a plaster of paris 'mould' over the plastic bottle to get the internal curvature correct and once happy cover in cling film. Mix some fibre glass resin and hardener then lay alternate crisscrossing sheets of fibre matting and resin making sure it overlaps well into the abraded areaat least 3 or 4 inches....allow to cure. Carefully remove the mould and plastic bottle former and turn the mudguard over. Abrade the inner in the same fashion and lay up fibreglass in the same fashion as before but this time inside the guard..leave to cure.  Once set up grind, sand , generally trim and fashion to as near the correct shape as possible. Use car body filler to take out any imperfections, flat, prime, flat ...basecoat...then clear. Spray inside matt black  polish exterior with T Cut then wax...fit mudguard to bike....Long winded and labour intesnsive...but not that dear and there is a perverse satisfaction in figuring out how to do these things...alternatively take the broken bits of guard along to an intelligent car/bike repairs place and they may be able to plastic weld and spray it for you.
The Frying Scotsman