Date: 23-06-24  Time: 20:38 pm

Author Topic: Why are you a biker?  (Read 5718 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Why are you a biker?
« Reply #25 on: 24 May 2013, 02:23:58 pm »
When I was about 12 years old all my mates had rat bikes which they raced around some waste ground behind the Ship & Shovel pub in Barking.

After much pestering from me my Dad brought home a pretty good nick FSIE and cut the seat in half, knocked the lights and number plate off and presented it to me with the words "Push it there, if I see you riding it on the road I'll cut yer nuts off".

When I turned 16 all my mates got scooters, so I got one of them as my first legal road bike.

It was a Vespa Primavera 125 but I insured it as a 50 special as they had the same frame and looked almost identical - you could not get away with that now! .

It cost me £120 and insurance was £25 and a Centurion Pinto open face lid was £15 I think, a pair of me Mum's gardening gloves (for when it was raining) and I was good to go.

Did a year or so on that and then upgraded to a Lambretta GP200, trashed that after a year by riding it into the ground and chopped it in for...an RD250!   It was a private sale out of the Exchange & Mart, two bikers took it along with cash for the RD, I think they were going to have a ceremonial burning or something!

Most of my mates had got bored with scooters and moved onto cars so I was happy to move to more powerful motorcycles, plus I'd given up on the Mod thing as the scene was changing and I wasn't into scooter meets where you got your head kicked in by Skinheads and Scooter boys trying to flog you NF t-shirts.

Sadly both my scooters were genuine Italian bikes and in good nick, these days they would go for about £3k for the Vespa (although these are going up in price even more now) and about £7k (I kid you not) for the Italian GP.  I currently own an Italian 1963 TV175 series III and you would have to part with at least £5k if you wanted it.

Anyway, I took my test on the RD and passed, then blew it up and flogged it to get a new engine for my Cortina 1600E - well technically it was a 1600 Super with E trim and furry seats, but it was a car and girls only gave you a feel of their tits in a car (well, only the classy birds).

Step forward a year and my need for transport changed again, having established a regular pair of knockers to grope, I decided I could not put up with using public transport to get to work, so I needed another bike - enter the Suzuki GP era!

I had about 3 Suzuki GP 100s and they all gave up the ghost after a while, there was also several dodgy old Hondas CB100, Superdreams, a very short spell on a C90 then I got a VT500 (awful, awful machine) Suzuki Katana - looked good but I think the frame was bent so I never liked it and then a never ending list of shit bikes until I bought my Fazer 600 in 2002

So dear reader you may ask what has this got to do with the original question "Why are you a biker?", Well surely it's clear?

My first foray into powered two wheels was the desire to tear the arse out of the World and get noticed.

The rest of my biking desires have been based around the need to go to work to earn money.....to put petrol in my bikes and provide a bit of food and shelter along the way and still tear the arse out of the World at weekends...if I've got the energy.

« Last Edit: 24 May 2013, 04:50:56 pm by Streetbudgie »

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 24 May 2013, 04:41:36 pm »
Suzuki x1, honda cb100 , cb250n, cb400f, suzuki gt380, honda cb250t, 10yr gap cx500 10yr gap fazer 600 oh and I've had 1600E proper one na na.....
Andy

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk 2

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 24 May 2013, 07:32:21 pm »
The Ship and Shovel! Is it still there??

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 24 May 2013, 07:54:33 pm »
I started out at 18 with my first car and have had a few since but I do certainly have a need for speed - to which I should note that I try to respect the law, its about the twisties and acceleration rather than straight up top end. I also really enjoy fettling about with mechanics and engineering

My cousin has been in to bikes for a long time, mostly since he can't afford to get a drivers licence. He's had a few different small bikes over the years and eventually I ended up trying out one of his 140cc pit bikes on his parents farm. Was great fun and dove in at the deep end of two wheelers with clutch and gear action required straight away. In any case, I took it really well and loved the feeling (even after going over the handle-bars). Later that year I got my full licence after doing DAS and 4 days after passing bought my first Fazer.

I still love cars but the bike is a bit more involved and fiddling around with bits on the bike makes you feel that much more connected when you are out on the road

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 25 May 2013, 06:39:28 pm »
The Ship and Shovel! Is it still there??

Not sure, think it is