Date: 14-06-24  Time: 16:08 pm

Author Topic: Ignition Barrel Removal - Help!  (Read 2504 times)

kevcl15

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Ignition Barrel Removal - Help!
« on: 20 April 2013, 11:25:50 am »
Hi folks,
As per my fork rebuild post, with the forks and yolks off, I've decided to have the yolks powder coated as they're looking a little sad.
Read the posts on here and checked the Haynes manual, it says to remove the shear bolts from the top of the ignition collar, which I've managed to do by tapping out with a drift.
This reveals two Philips head screws, again, I've managed to undo these but I can't get the barrel away from the yolk. There's a shaft running up the centre and I can't find a way to make enough "room" to get the barrel out from the yolk.
Looking at the build up, it looks like the barrel is held in place on the bottom with two "no head" screws which screw into the yolk, do these need to be removed also? (See Photos) If so, any ideas how to remove them?
Hoping to get the yolks in the post on Monday so any suggestions on how to get these apart would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys.

chaparral02

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - DiamondBack Mountain bike
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition Barrel Removal - Help!
« Reply #1 on: 20 April 2013, 04:26:17 pm »
You need to remove the two sheared bolts from the bottom...
See this thread http://yamahafz1oa.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51270&highlight=replace+ignition+switch

08 Graphite Grey FZ1 ABS..
Yoshi CF R-77 Full system, FCE, Ivans Flies, PC-V + Autotune Kit, DNA Aifilter & Airbox Mod, Speedo healer ,16T front gen1 sprocket,
Sargent front & rear seats, Fender eliminator, CA Intergated Rear Led, MRA Vario Screen , Givi mono rack & V46 topbox

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 April 2013, 06:14:49 pm »
small fine pilot drill then work your way up in sizes till the heads come off
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

kevcl15

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 April 2013, 06:34:22 pm »
Hi guys,
Thought as much but thought I'd better check before going for the mangling approach. I mis-read the original post and tapped out the snap bolts that holds the ignition barrel cover on   :\

Looks like the drilling for me tomorrow then.

Cheers again all....

kevcl15

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 April 2013, 03:06:28 pm »
Ignition barrel removed! Drilled out no problems and the studs removed easily enough with stud extractors. Happy days!
Yolks and forks now ready for shipping to powder coaters.
Will stick some photos on when they come back. Cheers all.....  :lol