Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:50 am

Author Topic: Emulsion in oil  (Read 1423 times)

chriswarren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Emulsion in oil
« on: 17 April 2013, 12:48:13 pm »
Been noticing notchy gear changes recently, so thought I'd quickly check the oil level.... which seems to be down (no oil leaks apparent). However, through the viewing window I can see emulsion streaks, and the bottom of the filler cap and inside the side panel is thoroughly coated with white emulsion.
Head gasket is presumably a first potential culprit here, but the bike is otherwise running beautifully.
I'll drain the old oil (changed a year ago) and refill, but is there anything else I should check?
(The bike has been used pretty much every day over the last year (8 miles each way)).

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Emulsion in oil
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2013, 01:29:33 pm »
I doubt the problem is the head gasket - check your coolant levels, both reserve tank & pull the rad cap off.
If gasket has blown, your coolant level would drop fairly rapidly, eventually boiling dry.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2013, 01:42:09 pm »

(The bike has been used pretty much every day over the last year (8 miles each way)).
  And there your problem lies.....Am pretty sure it's not getting a long enough run to burn off any condensation. After checking all the obvious serious possibilities I would be inclined to think it's condensation.

popeye72

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - montessa 315r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2013, 01:48:49 pm »
i had the same on mine doing 4 miles eachway, but took it for a good run and it all cleared :D
if it aint broke, try harder!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2013, 06:43:05 pm »
Don't panic over a spot of emulsification, it's normal, just condensation mixing with the oil, burns off on longer runs as others have said. 

Check water level, and check coolant for fuel. 

It's probably all fine.

chriswarren

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 April 2013, 11:08:57 am »
At the risk of sounding wimpy, with current shite weather I'm wondering if leaving it to idle for 30 mins would do the same job in terms of engine heating/burning off the emulsion?

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 April 2013, 03:17:26 pm »
If you are changing the oil anyway, it wont matter, just remember to take longer runs when you get the chance.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 April 2013, 07:09:54 pm »
If it's a head gasket issue etc, it'll not be long till you are no longer wondering what it is. They can weep a bit for a while almost unnoticed, but then you'll start to notice some or all of the following poor starting, miss fires, badly emulsified oil, coolant level dropping or stinking of petrol etc etc.

I doubt if you have an issue.

Don't forget if you are changing the oil, get the bike warmed up, thin oil drains much much better.

Stop worrying.

igor5b

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 March 2014, 09:40:26 pm »
Chriswarren

I was wondering if you sorted the problem and found the cause of the emulsion?