Date: 04-06-24  Time: 06:42 am

Author Topic: Perishing tyres  (Read 8551 times)

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Perishing tyres
« on: 06 April 2013, 04:37:08 pm »
Hello Foccer's, am after some opinions on my tyres. Bought last summer less than 10 months ago and covered about 4K. PR3's. I noticed today that the rear is starting to perish in the grooves. The front is fine and there is still plenty of tread on the back but it has started to develop cracks. This can't be right surely. Would this affect my MOT ? and  what do you think  my chances are of getting it replaced ?  Maybe there are some tyre experts on here who can tell me what would cause this. Thanks. ;)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Perishing tyres
« Reply #1 on: 06 April 2013, 04:49:48 pm »
I would contact the manufacturer with those pics and see what they say. If they are cracking like that then they will have lost some flexibility in the tyre and therefore could compromise grip. It doesn't look that bad but I'd be wanting to get them changed.

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 April 2013, 05:29:31 pm »
yep me too...iam with chris,do you still have the reciept ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 April 2013, 06:39:51 pm »
Yep, still got the receipt and am on good terms with my local Watlings where I got them from so hopefully wont be a problem. I'm just  intrigued as to what would cause this. I always check my pressures, haven't contaminated it in any way but did have a blast around  last year where they got very hot but they are designed to do that, aren't they ?
« Last Edit: 09 April 2013, 05:30:14 pm by dazza »

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 April 2013, 08:37:09 pm »
Interesting, but have my doubts as to what caused that. Smoking his rear tyre or continuously locking it up maybe when you look at the wear on the tyre. Mine however is an  entirely different type of defect. I will start at the tyre fitters on Monday I think. See what they have to say about it.

mcsuffolk

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 April 2013, 09:32:35 pm »
Worth speaking to tyre dealer, but what was the date of manufacture on the tyre?

I've seen this sort of thing before and tyre manufacturer said it was because the tyre had passed its six year life. Until that point I didn't realise tyres has "best before" dates..... Apparently it's something to do with chemical breakdown inside the compound...... Hence all tyres have a date mark on the sidewall..... It is normally a week number (2 digits) followed by a year (2 digits) and normally appears slightly different moulding from the size etc.....  So may be something like 4209..... Week 42 of 2009

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 April 2013, 09:53:31 pm »
I had this on my car tyres which were mitchellin. It came after a harsh winter. I will not use Michelin for any vehicle as they they were only 2 years old with 3k on. Car got steering wobble around MPH so be careful if its the same type of thing.

Be interesting to see what the fitter and mich have to say about it though.

Daz
She Ain't Exactly Pretty, She Ain't Exactly Small, Fourt'two Thirt'ninefiftysix

You Could Say She's Got It All.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 06 April 2013, 09:58:26 pm »
It could just have been a bad batch... It's not unheard of.

Maybe with the hard use on a trackday and the higher temps etc then if it does have a defect then it has been highlighted whereas with normal road use it may have gone unnoticed for longer.

Like I said in my first comment, best to get in touch with manufacturer. They'll probably replace it, especially seeing as it's fairly new. They may be glad to get it back to do tests on it to make sure things like this don't happen. Useful info for them too.

Chris

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 April 2013, 01:04:34 pm »
Checked the date stamp and it read 1411 which I take it to be week 14 2011 so well within its shelf life. Front was 1112.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 April 2013, 05:35:57 pm »
Update for those that are interested. Not good news, looks like I'm going to have to fork out for a new set of tyres. On closer examination the front is also slightly cracked which has ruled out it being a bad batch as they are completely different year codes.  Spoke to the Michelin rep and had them looked at by a fitter who is experienced in bike tyres and both are baffled by it and haven't seen it before with these. So, they are going to be sent away for examination but in the mean time I have to stump up for replacements. I asked if as a goodwill gesture they would meet me half way with the cost but was met with company policy and any gesture would be admitting liability. However once they have been examined a goodwill gesture or a full reimbursement can be made depending on what they find. My confidence in them and Michelin as you can imagine has took a dive and now am unsure what would be best to replace them with.  Any suggestions ?

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 April 2013, 06:15:23 pm »
I remember we had someone come into my work last year with a Merc. big f**k off tyres perished to f**K. Continental sent out a rep to look at them, they were about a year and a half old and well worn, he took picture of them and awarded my customer a 75% discount on another set of Contis there and then, the date codes were shaved off the tyres so we could not get another claim on them, we were then left to change them and dispose of the old tyres.

If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #12 on: 10 April 2013, 06:18:37 pm »
Bugger their "policy", hit them with the Sale of Goods Act: Goods must be Fit for Purpose and of Satisfactory Quality because I'd think it's reasonable to expect them to last more than 10 months and 4000 miles and they haven't.

Talk to your local Trading Standards.

Fatherbiker

• DAS Born Again
  • My cat climbed in and sat looking at me!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 April 2013, 06:24:55 pm »
That would be the last set of Michelins i'de have on the bike if that is how they go. I have had Dunlop Sportmax, Bridgestone Battleaxe (BT range) and never had any problems anything like that so i would be really peed off if they didnt help you with the cost of replacing them. I also wouldn't want to trust them any longer this year and definately change them. Its easier than having time off work for broken bones and a knackered bike!
Live life, Love life.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 April 2013, 06:35:19 pm »
Grahamm,  Oh I hit them with that straight away, however I think I will have to go above his head as I got the impression he didn't have the authority to agree to a halfway meet. He did mention that it was a lot cheaper for them as a company to just replace the tyres and have done with it which is what other companies will do instead of examining them but when it comes to motorcycles, the implications of a failure are much more serious and examining them is the only option.
« Last Edit: 10 April 2013, 06:39:15 pm by dazza »

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 April 2013, 07:58:46 pm »
I agree with Grahamm on this one. That tyre is oviously not as it should be and no one should be trying to fob you off with lame "company policy" excuses. (Unfortunatly it happens all to often). I also think you are being to generous suggesting a half way solution. O.K. you have had some use out of them, but you have also now been inconvenienced and possibly put at risk. I would have thought a full refund and an apology from Michelin would not have been too much to expect. If you pursue it further I would emphasize the danger aspect for a motorcycle.
Good luck.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 April 2013, 08:13:02 pm »
but they are your tyres...why let them take them away until they had compensated you? I agree they need to investigate but not at your expense!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 April 2013, 11:19:24 pm »
Limax2 and dickturpin have covered all the points I would make about the developments.

Chris

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2013, 11:28:33 pm »
but they are your tyres...why let them take them away until they had compensated you? I agree they need to investigate but not at your expense!
    Took legal advice about this and it turns out Michelin are perfectly within their rights to take them back for examination without compensating me. Went above the reps head and was met with the same response. So, have fitted some BT 023's and left them with the fitters along with a complaint form. Depending on the final outcome will determine whether I ever use Michelin again on any vehicle. So much for consumer rights. :(

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 April 2013, 12:10:45 am »
Dazza are Michelin going to be contacting you with the outcome of thier investigation? be interesting to hear what they have to say.

What excatily do they have the right to do. Is it to take the tyre or to examine it?

Who said they are within their rights and did you have to stand by it? I ask as its your only proof that the part inquestion had a safety issue/fault.

I find it odd that they have a right to take your tyre unless its on safety grounds and then I would be asking for an independent report not a company hero who have their hands tied via a pay checque at the end of the month. I is not been an ass just interested as this could be said about any part if not the whole of anyones' pride & joy.

Daz

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2013, 01:18:11 am »
Yes, they will contact me with the outcome of the examination. They have said if a fault is found a full refund MAY be given or if not a concession may be offered. I have my suspicions that they will say it's something I have done and will give me foc all but then if they haven't been destroyed have to return them back to me. They don't have the right to take my tyres but are within the law to examine them before any offer of compensation  can be made. I got all the legal jargon from the CAB. As for someone independent examining them, again I have to give them the opportunity first to examine their own product.  Not what I wanted to hear but before I pass judgement will have to wait for the outcome.

dBfazer600

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I is Zedonk
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 April 2013, 01:26:20 am »
Fair play mate. You have done what was required and you always have the fitters to fall back on if anything unterwards happens or you want to question anything.  :thumbup  for taking at fare as you have as most, including myself would have done nowt more than likely.

Daz

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 21 May 2013, 10:58:50 am »
Hello Foccer's, just heard back from Michelin and they have given me an allowance of 60% on the rear tyre and 50% on the front. This comes to £134.90 although no explanation was given as to the cause of the defect and no liability was admitted but at least it's took the sting out of the cost of replacements.
« Last Edit: 21 May 2013, 11:09:38 am by dazza »

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 21 May 2013, 11:30:18 am »
Nice one on getting some money back, i'm on my second set of PR3's and personally can't fault them, so does sound like more of a one off.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 21 May 2013, 11:42:21 am »
Interesting that they won't comment on the problem and yet have given you some money back, indicating that they are partly at fault...

Either that or they're just a good company who want customers to return..

Glad you got some money back to cover some of the cost of the new rubber.

Chris