Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:11 pm

Author Topic: Telephone calls whilst riding  (Read 9454 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Telephone calls whilst riding
« on: 28 March 2013, 12:59:35 pm »
Telephone calls whilst riding - really?

What could possibly be more distracting than having a loud ring then a voice booming into your ear as you negotiate traffice, ride a hairpin bend or simply just ride in a staright line?

I do not understand the obsession that people have these days with constantly being contactable - does no one ever 'get away from it all' for an hour or so anymore?

I have mates who answer their phones in the pub and then spend 30 minutes 'discussing' with little Brittany or Cruise Harper Bastard why they must go to bed and not disturb Mummy - what the fuck?!!! You're in the pub with your mates, your kids should not think it's ok to ring you for anything less that a missing limb or a dead sibling blocking the fridge door.

The last thing I want is some nobber ringing me as I'm filtering my way through London traffic to ask me how to use the video recorder, for fucks sake it can all wait unless it's life or death and even in death the only thing I can do is get there when I can, you're already dead, that ain't gonna change!

What the hell is voice mail or the ridiculous 'text message' for if eveyone insists on being contactable at all times?

I have to question how safe mobile phone headsets are to be used when riding a motorcycle in the same way that I question (by question I mean punish) car drivers who insist on driving with one hand clamped to their ear chatting on the phone and not payng any attention to the road.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Telephone calls whilst riding
« Reply #1 on: 28 March 2013, 01:22:48 pm »
I have my phone on my person while riding but for a totally different reason. I have an Android handset and as such have three relatively important apps running whilst I'm riding.

The first is Maps - the phone is always in my pocket, but its nice to know that I can pull over and figure out where the hell I am if I end up list.

The second is latitude - this reports my GPS location to selected "friends" including my mother so that people know I am ok whilst riding.

The third is the most important - it uses the accelerometer in my phone to detect a crash / fall from my bike. If it does then it will send a text message to a designated contact including my GPS location and a link to Google Maps so that they can get help to me if necessary. My contact knows to check latitude first to see if I am still moving and if it is just a false reading.

In the car, my phone is with me, but I don't answer it. Just my it ringing I know that someone is trying to reach me so I find somewhere to pull over if necessary and call them back if it is important. Whereas on the bike, if someone calls, I'll find out when I stop and contact them back. I agree that the last thing I want when riding is for my sense of hearing to be impaired. I use it to help judge a lot of things including what's going on behind me and how the bike is behaving.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #2 on: 28 March 2013, 01:33:42 pm »
My TomTom Rider Sat Nav links via bluetooth to my mobile and my headset, but unless I'm riding along eg a motorway or in another situation where I don't have to give 100% concentration to my riding, I wouldn't pick it up (press a button on the sat nav screen) and just let it go to voicemail.

In fact really the only reason I have the phone when I'm riding is in case I have problems since I have no need for anyone to contact me at 30 seconds notice.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 March 2013, 01:34:08 pm »
I talk to myself when I'm on the bike, the last thing I want is someone butting into my conversation :D

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 March 2013, 01:37:17 pm »
I have my phone on my person while riding but for a totally different reason. I have an Android handset and as such have three relatively important apps running whilst I'm riding.

The first is Maps - the phone is always in my pocket, but its nice to know that I can pull over and figure out where the hell I am if I end up list.

The second is latitude - this reports my GPS location to selected "friends" including my mother so that people know I am ok whilst riding.

The third is the most important - it uses the accelerometer in my phone to detect a crash / fall from my bike. If it does then it will send a text message to a designated contact including my GPS location and a link to Google Maps so that they can get help to me if necessary. My contact knows to check latitude first to see if I am still moving and if it is just a false reading.

In the car, my phone is with me, but I don't answer it. Just my it ringing I know that someone is trying to reach me so I find somewhere to pull over if necessary and call them back if it is important. Whereas on the bike, if someone calls, I'll find out when I stop and contact them back. I agree that the last thing I want when riding is for my sense of hearing to be impaired. I use it to help judge a lot of things including what's going on behind me and how the bike is behaving.

Great use of technology and very good ideas especially if you ride rural routes - but no mention of the use of the phone to hold a conversation while riding and why it is so necessary, so it doesn't address my pont really.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 March 2013, 01:43:29 pm »
unless I'm riding along eg a motorway or in another situation where I don't have to give 100% concentration to my riding,

When is it suitable to not give 100% concentration whilst operating something that could kill you or others?

I'm speechless really. I did not expect to hear that excuse on a bike site.

This attitude is exactly what cagers come out with shortly after they run over a biker and kill him then rock up in court saying the phone was in my lap on handsfree so it wasn't really distracting me, or I was in traffic so I didn't think I needed to watch the road and the biker just appeared out of nowhere.

I shit you not there is a case all over facebook at the moment about this and I find the attitude of 'driving does not always require 100% concentration' unbelievable - even more so from a biker.

« Last Edit: 28 March 2013, 01:44:52 pm by Streetbudgie »

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 March 2013, 01:52:11 pm »

Great use of technology and very good ideas especially if you ride rural routes - but no mention of the use of the phone to hold a conversation while riding and why it is so necessary, so it doesn't address my pont really.

I mentioned about using my phone for conversation in my last comments? Stating that I don't use it and why and that I agreed with your perspective...

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 March 2013, 01:58:51 pm »
Yes you did, you clearly think like me and do not understand the need to be glued to a mobile phone at all times.

I want to know why some people think they do.

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 March 2013, 02:05:14 pm »
I think this tread iszeitw
"Don't Die with Fun in the Bank!"

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 March 2013, 02:08:23 pm »
sorry i was texting while in a traffic jam! lol

No I agree - I turn off my phone when driving from one place to the next at work and it drive my boss mad because he cant have an bloody meeting with me while I'm driving!

What did we do when we didn't have mobiles? Oh I remeber - we just got on with stuff

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 March 2013, 02:10:48 pm »

Eh? I almost crashed my bike whilst trying to read this on my iPad..

:D
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

ponkster

• Weekend Warrior
  • Grumpy Old MF
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - VN 1500 P1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 March 2013, 02:12:12 pm »
... it does seem odd promoting 'Luddite' virtues on an internet forum - I am a man of contradictions!

( Yes that is a posh way of saying I am bored and an idiot! Lol)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 March 2013, 02:42:47 pm »
I caught a young  guy riding his ped along our road whilst texting. I was absolutely gobsmacked!

Personally my phone is in my pocket when riding. If it rings, then it records who rang me. If they don't leave a message or their number then it can't have been important (or it might be work calling me. Ho-hum). When I'm in my car I plug it into the car stereo, as it has all my music/satnav details, and ofcourse my phone.

My family know if they call me and I don't answer, then I probably CAN'T answer it. If its important/urgent, then they keep ringing over and over, then I know it has to be answered.

How did we ever cope without mobiles???::)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 28 March 2013, 03:12:22 pm »
I use my phone in the bike as I find it quite easy to control the bike with my feet propped against the bar ends, engaging in a bit of counter steering to go my merry way.

Out of interest, when having passengers in the car, do we sit there in silence? Are they banned from uttering a word, lest they remove you from the zone? What about Radio 2? Jeremy Vine talks some pish of a day and I wonder if he goes off in case he enrages us with his mince.

Do autocoms and the likes also put you in congress with the beast?

I have sharp knives, quite capable of wounding and killing. Should I ban the bird I'm trying to impress from the kitchen and tell its cos I need to concentrate so that I don't cut myself, or worse, her?

Holy shit I am a total fuckin troll right enough

« Last Edit: 28 March 2013, 03:14:28 pm by Tiberius Onklevaart »
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 28 March 2013, 03:50:40 pm »
that last post shouild have ended   'so that i dont cut her, or worse, myself'

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 28 March 2013, 04:02:44 pm »
Out of interest, when having passengers in the car, do we sit there in silence? Are they banned from uttering a word, lest they remove you from the zone?

I knew this one would come up - other car occupants are aware of what's happening at the same time as you are so if you were driving in a snowstorm then yes, they would be quiet and allow you to concentrate on the job in hand

However this is about why the hell are telephone conversations necessary whilst riding a motorcycle - not driving a car, so the point is moot.

What radio station and what kitchen utensils you listen to and play with are entirely up to you, neither requires a licence to do so and anyone entering your kitchen does so at their own risk, other road users do not have any choice and are entitled to the same standard of concentration and driving from everyone.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 28 March 2013, 04:06:00 pm »

Eh? I almost crashed my bike whilst trying to read this on my iPad..

:D

Cracking response.  Love it.
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 28 March 2013, 04:10:51 pm »
I'm glad I live in a democracy where the opinion of the one is not judged as law.

I recently bought a bluetooth head set for many reasons, not least of which are the following:

1.) Listening to music.  Yup, I said the swearword.  I have no intention of doing it, but I like to have the option.  If I'm going to do 100 miles up a motorway I want the option of listening to music if I want.  I wear 39SNR ear plugs, I can't hear the engine, but I can hear music and a car horn if I need to.

2.) Listening to Satnav.  Self explainatory

3.) Talking to a Pillion Passenger or someone I'm on a ride out with.

4.) If my missus calls I'd rather answer the phone and have a 2 minute conversation than have her thinking I'm dead in a ditch somewhere.

I think each reason is valid, but that's just my opinion and thankfully not dependant on you or anyone else :-)

Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2013, 04:13:56 pm »
Holy shit I am a total fuckin troll right enough

I already told you that  ;)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2013, 04:18:11 pm »
Out of interest, when having passengers in the car, do we sit there in silence? Are they banned from uttering a word, lest they remove you from the zone?

I knew this one would come up - other car occupants are aware of what's happening at the same time as you are so if you were driving in a snowstorm then yes, they would be quiet and allow you to concentrate on the job in hand

However this is about why the hell are telephone conversations necessary whilst riding a motorcycle - not driving a car, so the point is moot.

What radio station and what kitchen utensils you listen to and play with are entirely up to you, neither requires a licence to do so and anyone entering your kitchen does so at their own risk, other road users do not have any choice and are entitled to the same standard of concentration and driving from everyone.

So by your definition you never look at the scenery either  as it's not "the job in hand"?  What a boring life.  Riding is about being confident enough in your ability and the bike and your experience to actively enjoy the ride.  If that is looking at scenery, humming whilst listening to music or talking to a pillion, fellow rider or your mum in law.  I have bluetooth hands free in my car and since I've been driving for 15 years feel that I am capable of talking meaningless dross with my mum or wife whilst still being able to look at hazards, drive confidently and enjoy myself (apart from having to listen to the mum or wife)

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 28 March 2013, 04:20:53 pm »

Please can you tell me what app you use for this bit ?
Cheers
Simon

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 28 March 2013, 04:25:15 pm »
I'm glad I live in a democracy where the opinion of the one is not judged as law.

I recently bought a bluetooth head set for many reasons, not least of which are the following:

1.) Listening to music.  Yup, I said the swearword.  I have no intention of doing it, but I like to have the option.  If I'm going to do 100 miles up a motorway I want the option of listening to music if I want.  I wear 39SNR ear plugs, I can't hear the engine, but I can hear music and a car horn if I need to.

2.) Listening to Satnav.  Self explainatory

3.) Talking to a Pillion Passenger or someone I'm on a ride out with.

4.) If my missus calls I'd rather answer the phone and have a 2 minute conversation than have her thinking I'm dead in a ditch somewhere.

I think each reason is valid, but that's just my opinion and thankfully not dependant on you or anyone else :-)

Why would someone voluntarily remove one of their senses when riding a motorcycle?

Utter madness and displays a lack of care for any other person who might be on the road in the same vicinity.

There are many reasons why we have laws which are set by your democratically elected peers, one reason is because no matter how stupid something may be, somewhere there's an idiot who will try it and kill not only themselves, but other innocent people.

I'm pretty sure your missus would rather wait 10 minutes for you to pull over and answer a missed call than be responsible for you wiping out a family of 4 on their way to the seaside for a day because you weren't concentrating fully.

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2013, 04:34:47 pm »

So by your definition you never look at the scenery either  as it's not "the job in hand"?  What a boring life.  Riding is about being confident enough in your ability and the bike and your experience to actively enjoy the ride.  If that is looking at scenery, humming whilst listening to music or talking to a pillion, fellow rider or your mum in law.  I have bluetooth hands free in my car and since I've been driving for 15 years feel that I am capable of talking meaningless dross with my mum or wife whilst still being able to look at hazards, drive confidently and enjoy myself (apart from having to listen to the mum or wife)

And you will carry on believing that you do not need 100% concentration until you have an accident, ever heard the saying pride goes before a fall?

Your ability is only part of what is required to keep you alive on the road, what if you meet someone just like you on the road one day who isn't fully concentrating?

With your attitude you may well end up one of those people that claims never to have had an accident in a hundred years of motoring but has never looked behind them to see what they caused either.

Take an advanced riding course and see what they have to say about it - and don't quote that they use intercoms to teach you, that's a learning tool and not over used during the lessons or used for idle chatter which takes your mind off riding.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 28 March 2013, 04:35:46 pm »
Gotta admit, I do have music playing through my headset when I'm riding, its on low, but it kills the motorway section of my commute when I'm sat there at 70. Each to their own for music, it doesn't effect my riding, but then I don't have it on when I'm 'enjoying' a ride. Gotta concentrate then!

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 28 March 2013, 04:48:47 pm »

Please can you tell me what app you use for this bit ?
Cheers
Simon

This appears to have brought up several requests in my inbox haha, should have mentioned it :P

The app is called CRADAR and is by ActionXL