Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:59 pm

Author Topic: specticle wearers  (Read 9533 times)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
specticle wearers
« on: 18 March 2013, 03:25:29 pm »
had an eye test on saturday and it now looks as if i will have to wear glasses while iam on my bike,just used them for reading and close up work untill now......so any wearers out there with any tips...ie,is a certain helmet better than another,do i put my helmet on and then the glasses...silly questions i know but not been in this situation before.....not had my present helmet long and it is still a very snug fit will this affect the fit of the frames ?..........any tips would be most helpfull  :)
One, is never going to be enough.....

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: specticle wearers
« Reply #1 on: 18 March 2013, 03:29:46 pm »
My dad has to wear glasses, and always has. Way he does it, pop the helmet on, then the glasses - they should just slide in.
If your lid is REALLY tight around the ears, then the glasses may rub a bit on your head - but that's something my old man has never actually had himself.
Only thing that you need to be careful for is fogging up, as not only will your visor do it, but your glasses too!

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2013, 03:43:35 pm »
As JoeRock says, post 'em in the front once you've got the helmet on. If the helmet is tight at your temples then it could make things tricky... might be worth taking your lid along when choosing the frames.

budgiemurray

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 March 2013, 03:44:53 pm »
My solution.. Laser surgery..
I was a glasses wearer that got fed up wearing them for riding.. Worth the expense

Budgie

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 March 2013, 03:51:52 pm »
cheers guys.....not thought about fogging  :rolleyes .......might  look into laser but i also have a lazy eye which might rule this out.

simonm

• GP Hero
  • Why so serious ?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2013, 04:29:09 pm »
might be worth getting a lid with a pin lock as mine hasn't fogged up yet, and also make sure that the specs don't go from hot to cold quickly as that will cause the condensation.

The way to do this would be to keep them in the case, warm, till the last minute, lift the visor, shove em on, and close the lid.

take it steady until you're happy you know how they'll react and I suspect the quickest way to clear up a foggy would be to open the visor as it will rapidly cool everything to the same temperature (including your face).

good luck, let us know what your discoveries are.

just remember that fogging is caused by going from hot to cold or vice versa quickly

my uneducated 2p.  (I don't wear glasses apart from sunglasses and not yet on a bike since my caberg has a sun visor ;-))
Opinions are like A**holes, Everyone has one.  Some people seem to have more than one though which is a bit odd.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2013, 04:47:46 pm »
thanks simonm....some good points there.....iam a fair weather rider so iam hoping i can aviod the dredded fogging....still get caught in the odd summer shower though.....i have a built in sun visor as well ,that could be tight on clearence  :rolleyes

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 18 March 2013, 05:08:58 pm »
Personally I'd recommend contact lenses, much less hassle than glasses :)

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 March 2013, 05:31:35 pm »
Worn glasses all my life, can't have laser surgery. If possible take your favorite helmet with you when choosing your frames and try them on with your lid on, pressure around your ears is nothing compared to the pressure on the bridge of your nose it will ruin your enjoyment. Full face helmet as Joe said on first then post glasses, Flip front lids are easier to put on you can leave your specs on. Pinlock or anti fog visor don't make any difference to glasses wearers than they do to anyone else.
In my experience breath guards are you worst enemy and will fog specs up in a matter of seconds. There are loads of stuff on the market to help stop specs fogging i use cat crap (yep stupid name but it works) a light smearing of neat washing up liquid does the same. One final tip dont put your brand new specs on your seat while on the side stand and start your bike ...........  :'(

oh and i just bought a Shark Vision R very specs friendly has removable inserts so glasses fit better.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 March 2013, 06:05:38 pm »
I've never had a problem physically putting them on, although I would make sure not to use thick frames, mine flex a bit when wearing them.

I really recommend contact lenses, especially if you're not used to the reduced peripheral vision that the small glasses limit you to.

In terms of fogging, I just keep the visor up a little bit, the glasses shield your eyes from a lot of wind blast, so it's not as bad as you might think.

I have heard mention the flip front helmets are easier to use with glasses, I've had one and didn't notice much difference, I ended up just using it as a normal helmet because it was much more fiddly to work the mechanism!

Hope that helps from a life long glasses wearer!

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2013, 06:10:34 pm »
I wear glasses whilst riding, I bought a flip front for ease of putting on ma specs, I have a pair just for the bike, 2 for 1 offer at opticians, only tip I would give is remember they are on your face when you take your lid off, I've knocked mine off on more than one occasion, the dark secondary visor still works well with my glasses on.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2013, 06:55:57 pm »
but i also have a lazy eye which might rule this out.

Then bl00dy gerrit dahn t'pit
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 March 2013, 07:15:43 pm »
Something my dad did say though, you might struggle with bifocals if you use those.

Looking up is ok, but he says it gives him a proper headache trying to look in his mirrors as although he can focus on the mirror itself, anything else doesn't work. Similar story with life savers as well.

Don't know about laser surgery, but I used to have a lazy eye, had two operations on that eye which worked for a bit, but it started drifting back out. THen had an op on the OTHER eye to balance it up somehow, and it worked :)

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 March 2013, 07:21:54 pm »
have always used contact lenses  no problem with fogging, if your Prescription isn't too complicated you can get dailies quite cheap. 30 days riding for 30 ish quid worth looking into

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 March 2013, 07:40:47 pm »
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 18 March 2013, 08:04:05 pm »
I wear contacts but occasionally glasses. Flip up helmet makes it a lot easier, also pinlock stops the fogging. For glasses I would recommend something with very thin arms,

Hamos

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 18 March 2013, 08:17:45 pm »
I use glasses and have done for a while.  Used to wear contacts but found they were just as much hassle.
Plenty has been said about getting the lid on etc.
I use a breath deflector in my shoei.  There are lots of types, but I use one that fixes to the lid and fits tight over my nose.  No fogging even on cold mornings.

PlasticHarry

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR 750G
    • View Profile
    • Tyne Valley Plastics Ltd
« Reply #17 on: 18 March 2013, 08:30:26 pm »
I had some small lens specs made with very thin wire arms, not too much of a "hook" on the bits which go behind the ears, which just slide into place with a helmet on. Made in polycarbonate as it tends to fog less (low thermal conductivity).
Can't locate them at moment, otherwise would put pic up.
Optician said she has a few helicopter pilots use the same frames.

And yes, I've took helmet off with specs still on!

H

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 18 March 2013, 08:49:00 pm »
HJC helmets have a glasses groove in the sides for the arms. Always works very well.

caretaker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - TL125 frame!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 18 March 2013, 09:00:50 pm »
as above. or look for a helmet where the insides can be removed. the split is usually right where the glasses sit.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 18 March 2013, 09:38:43 pm »
I swapped to spring loaded arms on the specs. My old ones were solid and snapped after a while.

Got some  stuff I rub on them to stop fogging.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 18 March 2013, 10:16:46 pm »
Get a flip front helmet. So much less hassle when wearing glasses. Put you glasses on, put the helmet on and then flip the front down.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 19 March 2013, 06:53:58 am »
wow...lots of replies....cheers guys  :)  ive ordered some thin wire frames and i already have a hjc helmet  so might be ok,might look at the shark lid and parhaps flip front ....contact lenes might be good when iam on the bike all day.....lots to think about....thanks for all your replies,most helpful  :)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2013, 07:01:05 am »
has anyone worn varifocals on a bike before  :)

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 20 March 2013, 11:40:29 am »
A few suggestions:

1) A friend wears specs with his helmet, and has to put the specs on after the helmet. I find this awkward as you can miss the ear (go the wrong side. And after 10mins, it's bloody painful!)

2) I wear a Caberg flip front, which actually has glasses seating. Means I just flip open the lid, and roll my head in, no drama. Much easier, IMO. If you need to replace the lid, DO get a glasses-friendly one, the difference is astonishing.

I can't agree enough with the thin arms statement. Nothing is worse and more distracting than sore ears under a lid. Your ears will need to get used to the new obstacle. When I first got  a lid, I solved this by wearing the helmet a little bit every evening to break it in.

Bad luck about the specs though, as a fellow wearer, I sympathise. They're a bloody nuiscance!
The Deef's apprentice