Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:51 pm

Author Topic: Throttle problem.  (Read 3250 times)

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Throttle problem.
« on: 22 February 2013, 12:02:21 pm »
Ok so when I am de accelerating (releasing the throttle) it goes back slowly rather than quickly. Does anyone have any solution as to what it could be? Here is a video

http://youtu.be/zzx8WAqjzng?sc
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 12:03:06 pm by xlewisbdx »

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Throttle problem.
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2013, 12:03:46 pm »
  • Heated grip rubbing on the throttle cable housing
  • Badly routed throttle cables
  • Throttle return cable needs oiling/replacing! < Most likely

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2013, 12:11:09 pm »
check the grips first and then open up the handle bar mounting disconnect the cables clean and lubricate,if that dos`nt work check the routing of the cables and if all else fails, incorrectly adjusted cables can couse the throttle to stick which i think can only be corrected by removing the carbs.....let us know how you get on  ;)
One, is never going to be enough.....

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2013, 12:14:34 pm »
I will cherrs. Don't want to take the flipping carbs off though. Oh well

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 February 2013, 12:15:45 pm »
The cables are probably just dried out!

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 February 2013, 12:16:36 pm »
As long as the grips aint rubbing then i'd go with the cables need a good lubing!  :lol

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Panthor

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Throttle problem.
« Reply #6 on: 22 February 2013, 12:20:31 pm »
Mine did that when I had it, MOT guy just loosened something at the throttle and it was fine then.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 February 2013, 12:48:39 pm »

Make sure there is no part of the rubber grip rubbing anywhere, just the slightest bit can cause that.
Smear a tiny bit of WD40 on the rubber grip first where it meets the light switch housing and see if it makes any difference at all?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 February 2013, 01:01:33 pm »
The return cable may be too tight, which would give you this problem. Have you made any adjustments to the throttle recently?
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2013, 01:29:51 pm »
I noticed  this yesterday when it had no grip on it. I twisted it and it took its time
Coming back. I've glued my grips on last night. Stupid question, how do I lube the cable??

Lazarus

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2013, 05:02:47 pm »
I noticed  this yesterday when it had no grip on it. I twisted it and it took its time
Coming back. I've glued my grips on last night. Stupid question, how do I lube the cable??

lewis - i had EXACTLY the same problem as you.

managed to track it down to the fact the superglue had squeezed out the end and dried into a "blob" that was catching on the cable housing.

I took off the cable housing (simple 2 screws) and sanded down where the glue had dried on them (had to respray them after). also cleaned up the grip end to make sure there was no excess glue
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - strawberries in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming - WOO HOO! What a Ride!"

alexanderfitu

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2013, 05:08:27 pm »
I did the same too, but with grip glue, a bit of paper in between the grip and housing got rid of it.

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 February 2013, 05:25:37 pm »
I'm looking at the Haynes Manual and I can't for the life of me find out where the "adjust throttle cable" is. I've looked in Chapter one and it says it is in Chapter 1 Section 17. Mine seems to Jump from 15-18 for some reason.  :'(

wezdavo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 954 fireblade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 22 February 2013, 05:35:12 pm »
I'm looking at the Haynes Manual and I can't for the life of me find out where the "adjust throttle cable" is. I've looked in Chapter one and it says it is in Chapter 1 Section 17. Mine seems to Jump from 15-18 for some reason.  :'(

Pull the rubber forward, where the cables come out of the throttle housing...

You want a few mm free play..
« Last Edit: 22 February 2013, 05:37:29 pm by wezdavo »

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 22 February 2013, 06:50:24 pm »

Pull the rubber forward, where the cables come out of the throttle housing...

You want a few mm free play..

Well I am looking at "Adjust throttle cable" as I am hoping it will tell me how to lube it.

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 22 February 2013, 07:18:18 pm »
should`nt there be a nylon washer between grip and switch housing to stop it sticking ?
One, is never going to be enough.....

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 22 February 2013, 08:58:49 pm »
yes, already checked that, it's fine :)

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 23 February 2013, 01:04:18 am »
Had same problem even without heated grips. The housing for the cable wasn't in the right position and out a small bit. Those two allen bolts on the cable housing.....open them and try different positions (moving forward or backwards) a few millimetres at a time while twisting the throttle. You will find it either snapping back or getting more tight depending on the direction you go. Eventually, you  will find the spot/position where the throttle will snap back.

P.S. Using a bit of common sense.....If you had no problems with the throttle cable snapping back before installing the heated grips....then natually, your cables are perfect and don't need lubing at all so you are wasting a lot of time and energy there. If they are sticky now, they would have been sticky just before the heated grip install.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2013, 01:08:57 am by packie »

xlewisbdx

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 23 February 2013, 08:53:40 am »
Had same problem even without heated grips. The housing for the cable wasn't in the right position and out a small bit. Those two allen bolts on the cable housing.....open them and try different positions (moving forward or backwards) a few millimetres at a time while twisting the throttle. You will find it either snapping back or getting more tight depending on the direction you go. Eventually, you  will find the spot/position where the throttle will snap back.

P.S. Using a bit of common sense.....If you had no problems with the throttle cable snapping back before installing the heated grips....then natually, your cables are perfect and don't need lubing at all so you are wasting a lot of time and energy there. If they are sticky now, they would have been sticky just before the heated grip install.

Thanks, I'll try that. The throttle was sticking before I put the heated grips on.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 23 February 2013, 09:33:29 am »
Google and youtube are your friends for this kind of question my friend.

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&sclient=psy-ab&q=how+to+lubricate+throttle+cable+motorcycle&oq=how+to+lubricate+throttle+cable+mot&gs_l=hp.1.0.0.2476.3074.1.4795.4.3.0.1.1.1.347.827.0j1j0j2.3.0.les%3B..0.0...1c.1.4.psy-ab.aD40u2DPArA&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.42768644,d.d2k&fp=a6b372b0509e79be&biw=1152&bih=923

Could you not find a video where a septic tank could waffle just a little bit longer?  :lol

Lewis, there's holes where the cables go, get oil down them, use your imagination on how to do it.

Sorted........  :b
« Last Edit: 23 February 2013, 09:44:16 am by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.