Date: 03-06-24  Time: 16:07 pm

Author Topic: Oil Additives  (Read 25158 times)

Disky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • Driving Instructor Training
Oil Additives
« on: 11 February 2013, 11:26:46 pm »
Does anyone use any oil additives in the engine oil ?
Was thinking of using "Activ8" friction reducer

any advice ?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Oil Additives
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2013, 12:08:12 am »
I've never really spoken about it, but i've been using Activ8 for around 4 years and i highly recommend it.
I found it to give a noticeably smoother gear change, especially when you very first use it.
I even got my dentist trying it out and he totally agreed with me.
So personally i'm all for it.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2013, 12:42:00 am »
I've never really spoken about it, but i've been using Activ8 for around 4 years and i highly recommend it.
I found it to give a noticeably smoother gear change, especially when you very first use it.
I even got my dentist trying it out and he totally agreed with me.
So personally i'm all for it.

So it lubes you teeth ok too??....mighty stuff!!  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 12 February 2013, 08:19:39 am »
I wondered when you'd think of that pike!!!,ive been thinking the same thing after reading about an american product called Marvel Mystery Oil that they all swear about,i know these testimonials can be a bit one sided but it did look convincing,folk suggesting that they appear to have less general engine related malfunctions,you put some in the tank,some in the oil...sods law im struggling to find any in the uk.

I also remember seeing an advert for slick 50 when i was a teenager,seem to remember them driving a nascar about with no oil and after having slick 50 run through the engine it ran for ages.

I'd be interested if theres anything that anyone reckons is good for keeping the carbs cleaned out.

Shall look up that activ8 stuff see what its about.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 12 February 2013, 09:27:23 am »
Aside from the manufacturer's own tests, Activ8 is backed up by nothing better than anecdotal evidence.
While chlorinated hydrocarbons do have known wear-reducing properties at low temperatures, they break down at high ones and produce hydrogen chloride... it's why oil companies don't put the stuff in their products.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 February 2013, 09:57:52 am »
It seems a bit like taking vitamins,some of them may or may not do anything but some people still feel better just from taking them & if they happen to be healthier than others it could be down to the vitamins or it could be that those type of people are generally healthier types anyway.

So maybe the type of person to add an additive is naturally more thorough or the type to keep their oil topped up & bike in good nick.it's probably hard to prove these things.

Still keen to hear about anyone who swears that an additive has made a difference,in their opinion of course.

I did stick some additive in my tank of super unleaded before i laid the bike up,supposed to protect against harmful effects of modern fuel on the tank and other parts.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 February 2013, 11:10:41 am »
Wouldn't bother.  If these products made any difference the oil companies would put the stuff in from the start.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 12 February 2013, 01:01:35 pm »
I was expecting negative comments from some people.
But let me just say this, i know my bike the same as a person knows their own body, i'm not the kind of person to just get on the bike and wait for things to seize up or drop off then deal with it (the same as my body fortunately). Any unusual noise, squeak, etc, and i investigate it.
In the case of Activ8 i have noticed a big improvement in gear changing. I'm not dreaming it, if there was no difference at all which is what you're implying, then i would have been totally honest and said don't bother at all, it's a waste of money!
So, unless you've tried it, which you obviously haven't, then how can you comment on the product???
I've not only tried it, and had it in my engine for years, but found it effective enough to buy again, and when you do top it up after 4 oil changes it becomes very noticeable again.
If you don't want to buy it, fair enough, but at least test it first before giving negative comments!  :moon

By the way, there are different ingredients in Slick50, i can't remember what exactly, but it's not the same stuff.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 01:13:10 pm by darrsi »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2013, 01:40:19 pm »
Only 1 way to find out so ive ordered some activ8'gonna stick it in the bike next oil change plus will stick some in my wee skoda diesel as it sounds like a bag o spanners in a washing machine on start up,

It seems that the claim is that it likes high temperatures 'activating at 50 degrees c' i fired a couple of the negative points their way to see what retort they can muster up.

Will report back but it'll be a while.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2013, 01:59:26 pm »
Only 1 way to find out so ive ordered some activ8'gonna stick it in the bike next oil change plus will stick some in my wee skoda diesel as it sounds like a bag o spanners in a washing machine on start up,

It seems that the claim is that it likes high temperatures 'activating at 50 degrees c' i fired a couple of the negative points their way to see what retort they can muster up.
I will stick my neck out and say i am very confident you will notice a difference, but obviously you should tell it like it is and give an honest opinion.  :)

Will report back but it'll be a while.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2013, 02:00:41 pm »
Obviously i messed up the above reply, it's in the middle!!  :lol 

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2013, 02:15:09 pm »
Cheers

Now where's disky???

He just made me spend money :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2013, 02:36:23 pm »
I forgot to add, the reason i tried it to begin with was because i was impressed by the demo they gave at the Ally Pally bike show years ago.

***** ALEXANDRA PALACE BIKE SHOW IS BACK THIS YEAR *****

http://www.classicshows.org/allypally/

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2013, 03:12:36 pm »
But let me just say this, i know my bike the same as a person knows their own body, i'm not the kind of person to just get on the bike and wait for things to seize up or drop off then deal with it (the same as my body fortunately). Any unusual noise, squeak, etc, and i investigate it.
In the case of Activ8 i have noticed a big improvement in gear changing. I'm not dreaming it, if there was no difference at all which is what you're implying, then i would have been totally honest and said don't bother at all, it's a waste of money!
So, unless you've tried it, which you obviously haven't, then how can you comment on the product???
I've not only tried it, and had it in my engine for years, but found it effective enough to buy again, and when you do top it up after 4 oil changes it becomes very noticeable again.
If you don't want to buy it, fair enough, but at least test it first before giving negative comments!  :moon

By the way, there are different ingredients in Slick50, i can't remember what exactly, but it's not the same stuff.

I reckon I will use only half of it over 4 oil changes or 25k miles which is about 2+ years riding for most. Wouldn't fancy putting the rest of the stuff that is lying around for 2 years old into my engine and expect it to perform 100%. You you dump the leftovers and buy a new bottle after 25k miles?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2013, 03:18:38 pm »

I reckon I will use only half of it over 4 oil changes or 25k miles which is about 2+ years riding for most. Wouldn't fancy putting the rest of the stuff that is lying around for 2 years old into my engine and expect it to perform 100%. You you dump the leftovers and buy a new bottle after 25k miles?

You stick the lot in first time round, then only half a bottle after your 4th oil change.

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 February 2013, 03:32:40 pm »
No thanks.

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html  Although Activ8 isn't mentioned on that page, it does talk about lots of other additives.  They're all pointless and in some cases (Slick50 mainly) can cause damage.
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 03:34:27 pm by Lawrence »

Disky

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • Driving Instructor Training
« Reply #16 on: 12 February 2013, 03:42:42 pm »
Cheers

Now where's disky???

He just made me spend money :lol

think he's just away to the shop,,, he will be back soon ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 February 2013, 03:54:40 pm »
No thanks.

http://www.carbibles.com/additives.html  Although Activ8 isn't mentioned on that page, it does talk about lots of other additives.  They're all pointless and in some cases (Slick50 mainly) can cause damage.

"...Activ8 isn't mentioned..."

What use is that then???
« Last Edit: 12 February 2013, 03:55:14 pm by darrsi »

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 February 2013, 04:02:03 pm »
 :rolleyes  How is Activ8 any different?

So if these additives are so good, why aren't they in the oil to start with along with the countless other things?

packie

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Bandit 1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 February 2013, 04:22:17 pm »

You stick the lot in first time round, then only half a bottle after your 4th oil change.
I think my enquiry would also be relevant as to what happens to the second bottle...no? So do you dump the leftovers on the second bottle or use it again after a long period of time?

Also, what happens even after the first oil change??.....isn't the Activ8 emptied out along with the oil?? I can't get my head around that it is still active and working solid again after one oil change, let alone 3 more oil changes so I can see why some folks are sceptical.  Is there some sort of magnetism in the product that makes it cling to the metal parts and not get flushed out on the oil change, perhaps?...your thoughts?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 February 2013, 04:44:57 pm »
Hey packie

According to the site it lasts up to 10 years,can change colour after a while exposed to sunlight but apparently with no loss of secret uber powers!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 12 February 2013, 04:54:51 pm »
:rolleyes  How is Activ8 any different?

So if these additives are so good, why aren't they in the oil to start with along with the countless other things?
It's a bit like saying why didn't they put a sensible front sprocket nut on, why do the exhausts rust, why do the cam chains wear so quick, etc.
I'd imagine it's a money thing, as always, to keep costs down. Add to that the fact that it's an after market product, which applies to most things.
I'm not the marketing rep here, i'm just saying i've used it and i say it works!
You're trying to make a case but you are arguing blind.
If you don't believe me then there's only one way to find out for sure isn't there?  :lol

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2013, 05:38:08 pm »
I can also vouch for activ8 working. I saw the demo years ago and asked all the same questions, but as an engineer I was impressed with the results. Its not a placebo effect, although I'm sceptical about how long its supposed to 'bind' with the metal between oil changes. The results from experiencing the product are definately noticeable, but they won't put it in mainstream oils, because you wouldn't want to make them too good so they don't need changing. Its a supply and demand world, the salesmen know how to sell. :rolleyes
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2013, 05:45:43 pm »
I like this topic,it's a nice winter warmer, a wee dram,log fire,slippers & a good old discussion,actually who am i kidding-more like a bottle o buckfast tonic wine in my pre fab house & a bun fight :D ,it's true to the foc-u style though i think.

Anyway to stoke the fire a bit more i seemed to piss off mr activ8 by the mere mention of nay sayers of his product so here's his reply,ok so trying to be impartial i suppose he didnt actually answer my questions directly but it's worth posting anyway, so:-

"Firstly, thank you for your order. Your order is being procesed and will be despatched today via the Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded Delivery service.

You mentioned that members of a forum you have been involved with have been discussing the ACTIV8 Universal Friction Reducer. Those that have used ACTIV8 products have all been duelly impressed with no down sides reported. However, there are others on the forum, proporting to be knowledgable about a product they have neither handled or used themselves and suggesting that the use of our product will cause unwanted issues.

Firstly, be very wary of so called experts as they nearly always hold a hidden agenda and also be aware of a companies long established (20years) reputation for supplying products that are balanced and designed for purpose and that have been used in many extreme applications that no general consumer would ever get these products to perform in and have all performed beyond expectation.

We have given up in trying to educate people that believe they 'know it all' and have decided instead to offer every customer a 100% no quibble guarantee as an assurance to all customers that if for ANY reason they are unsatisfied with our products, they may return them (used or otherwise) for a FULL refund. No other lubricant company offer such a service.

We are no longer interested in trying to convince 'know it alls' about the technology that goes in to our products but what we do do is stand by every customer that does used them and hopefully give them a customer service second to none.

Please feel free to publish our response. I know my responce seems very insulting to some, but after producing and providing products, for this amount of time, that do as they say we are just getting a little long in the tooth repeating the same arguments time and time again.

Thank you again for your order. If you have any questions about the use of our products, please do not hesitate to contact me again and I'll be happy to help

Best Regards
Chris Simpson
Support

ACTIV8 Lubricants Limited
Millriggs Park
Hightae
Lockerbie
DG11 1JL
Tel: +44 (0)1387 811007
Fax: +44 (0)1387 811008
Email: info@activ8.co.uk
Web: http://www.activ8.co.uk

Manufacturer of the following brands:

Established in 1993 to provide aftermarket fuel and oil products that provide gains in efficency and working life.

ACTIV8 Universal Friction Reducer is an oil additive for engines and transmissions that reduces metal to metal wear by up to 90% and is guaranteed not to invalidate manufacturers' warranties. Guarranteed to provide a minimum 5%* gain in BHP/Economy or your money back!
(* = guarantee applies to a vehicles improved BHP/economy when using ACTIV8 Universal Friction Reducer in both the engine and transmission.)

ACTIV8 Chain Lube: A balanced, highly penetrative lubricant offering anti fling capabilities allowing extention of mechanical life of the chain which in turn allows less losses due to friction and therefore gains in performance and/or economy.

ACTIV8 Chain Cleaner: A balanced, highly penetrative and effective cleaner that includes a lubricant primer to magnify gains in performance and/or economy when used with the ACTIV8 Chain Lube:.

Stockists can be found by clicking on http://www.activ8.co.uk"

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 February 2013, 06:10:36 pm »
Nice work, somebody else believes me  :)

If you really wanted to put a spanner in the works you should have changed his name to "Darrsi"  :lol