Date: 17-06-24  Time: 16:43 pm

Author Topic: FZS 600 Swing arm coating  (Read 6367 times)

Geordi Sussex

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: FZS 600 Swing arm coating
« Reply #25 on: 09 October 2013, 11:44:36 pm »
Just an update... 200ml of caustic soda + 300ml of boiling water mixed up... does the job spot on!! Cheers Fazerider for the tip... you have saved me hours of sanding!!  :rollin

Sorry to dig up a old thread.
So with your solution what did you do to remove the coating?
Just soak it or use it with sand paper?

Thanks
G
NFFN

elbrownos

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2013, 07:34:36 pm »
I know the swingarm looks great but this sounds like a horrendous idea to me.
Caustic soda eats aluminium and produces hydrogen gas.
It also eats your skin and flesh, turning it to soap.
I would strongly recommend not doing this. No offense CharlieDee.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 11 October 2013, 08:21:28 pm »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

dcurzon

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
    • Internet of Things
« Reply #28 on: 01 November 2013, 04:58:53 pm »
Have you cleaned all that shite off the floor yet?

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 02 November 2013, 10:06:20 am »
Or just polish it. Unsure. Knowing all you know now, once the arms off how quick could you get the coating off?

Oh and what's the red bit on the chain?

Fizzy its a job that aint for the faint hearted... you need to be extremely careful with the costic soda... brush on the solution and keep applying in 5 minute intervals until the solution starts going black... you will know exactly what I mean when you start.. make sure you do it outside, with a hose on the ready, safety glasses and gloves on. You will be able to see once its down to metal.. the full process of stripping the coating off takes about 1 hour including all the fiddly bits.. trust me this is the easiest way as I started with sand paper(w&d) and after 4 hours and bleeding fingers I realised this was a very bad idea.. but I was committed and had to continue with a different process, that being the costic soda. Then you have the fun of polishing!! If you have any problems PM me.

The red bit on my chain is chain alignment tool.. good piece of kit(when no hugger is on).

Charlie
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 02 November 2013, 10:07:17 am »
Or just polish it. Unsure. Knowing all you know now, once the arms off how quick could you get the coating off?

Oh and what's the red bit on the chain?

Fizzy its a job that aint for the faint hearted... you need to be extremely careful with the costic soda... brush on the solution and keep applying in 5 minute intervals until the solution starts going black... you will know exactly what I mean when you start.. make sure you do it outside, with a hose on the ready, safety glasses and gloves on. You will be able to see once its down to metal.. the full process of stripping the coating off takes about 1 hour including all the fiddly bits.. trust me this is the easiest way as I started with sand paper(w&d) and after 4 hours and bleeding fingers I realised this was a very bad idea.. but I was committed and had to continue with a different process, that being the costic soda. Then you have the fun of polishing!! If you have any problems PM me.

The red bit on my chain is chain alignment tool.. good piece of kit(when no hugger is on).

Charlie

Oh and I didnt use any lacquer.. I like the smell of metal polish!!  :rollin
I am the Nightrider. I'm a fuel injected suicide machine. I am the rocker, I am the roller, I am the out-of-controller!

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 02 November 2013, 12:43:43 pm »
my lad did his bike with wire wool (Using 3grades)..dipped in metal polish" ...then buffed it up with a cup brush in cordless drill...he,s even used brillo pads before and got similar results!!
« Last Edit: 02 November 2013, 12:46:54 pm by CRH »

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 03 November 2013, 01:25:40 pm »
my lad did his bike with wire wool (Using 3grades)..dipped in metal polish" ...then buffed it up with a cup brush in cordless drill...he,s even used brillo pads before and got similar results!!

Well CRH I would like to know what 'polish' he used for this procedure... as stripping a hardened anodised metal is not easy with sand paper or wire wool... I know!!  :rolleyes hence going down the chemical stripping route  :D and trust me, caustic soda was my last chance saloon... Because if that didn't work the swingarm would have had to go for bead/sand blasting.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 03 November 2013, 02:45:01 pm »

Well CRH I would like to know what 'polish' he used for this procedure... as stripping a hardened anodised metal is not easy with sand paper or wire wool... I know!!  :rolleyes hence going down the chemical stripping route  :D and trust me, caustic soda was my last chance saloon... Because if that didn't work the swingarm would have had to go for bead/sand blasting.
....Well charlie dee he works for a well known company in the aero division so what ever it was it WORKED!!..OK?
« Last Edit: 03 November 2013, 02:55:55 pm by CRH »

CharlieDee

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 04 November 2013, 09:55:57 pm »

....Well charlie dee he works for a well known company in the aero division so what ever it was it WORKED!!..OK?

Just saying mate... I would like to know what the product is... as would many other Foccers that are considering this... using caustic soda is not the most ideal solution and if there is an alternative out there that will not burn you or make you blind then we would all like to know.. so please do educate us.  :D