Date: 23-06-24  Time: 20:33 pm

Author Topic: Introductions  (Read 2032 times)

Roosy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Introductions
« on: 16 December 2012, 07:56:06 pm »
Howdy all!

I'm Dan, 26 from Newbury, Berkshire. After being intrigued by riding a bike for many years (but not feeling entirely sensible enough, or like it was financially viable) my friend finally got me to book in my CBT, and from there I went on to get my licence at the end of November. My friend rides an SV650, but I was never sure I wanted to start off with such an aggressive ride style. After looking around I decided the Fazer was for me, and upon going to visit someone selling one I fell in love with it and shook hands right there and then.

So I'm now the very proud owner of a 2009 FZ6 S2 and I couldn't be more happier, the bike feels like it was made for me! I wanted to get my bike in time for a few outings before locking it up tight over Christmas before I forgot how to ride. Had a few rides in the rain and couldn't care less about getting wet, I am happy as long as I'm riding! Only thing that concerns me is the feel of the gearbox when I move from 1st to 2nd... the GS 500 I learnt on felt pretty smooth, but doing this on the Fazer seems very clunky, like I'm breaking something... is that standard? At first I thought it was because I wasn't used to such a stiff clutch lever and wasn't pulling it in properly, but I've since ruled that out. Is it better to do 2 small shifts (to neutral, then second) when possible or just go for it? Moving up the gears from there seems smooth in comparison.

Anyway, haven't ventured any further than getting some crash bungs on it (couldn't get them on fast enough!), but hope to start learning about the bike and maybe change a few bits and pieces in the future once I'm fully comfortable with it.

Thought I'd attach a picture so I don't get the standard "worthless" message!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Introductions
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 07:59:27 pm »
If that hills as steep as it looks, Id be tempted to park it facing up hill!!!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 December 2012, 09:22:56 pm »
Hi and welcome, I've had my fz6 from new (06) and found the box quite clunky I often change up without the clutch but it takes some doing to get it just right, using the clutch you have to just pull it in a bit and a quiet change can be made, make sure you let the gear lever return to the centre position before changing to the next gear.

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 December 2012, 03:40:54 am »
I've got an S2, and I find it clunky too; seems to be a common complaint on these bikes.
I do try to be thoughtful when changing gear for that reason.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 December 2012, 08:58:59 am »
the gear changes will get smoother the more you ride it and get use to it...i find all yam boxes a little clunky....after you have done a few miles you will be able to match engine speed with road speed and get a nice smooth change.......so ........on you bike  :D :D :D 
One, is never going to be enough.....

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 December 2012, 09:17:26 am »
Smart looking machine Dan, and glad to see pictures of your ride up straight away :D

What ever you do, don't out the bike away for longer than a couple of weeks, GET OUT THERE AND RIDE IT!! After all, that's what you bought it for.

And even better that your not scared of the weather, unlike some we could mention :rolleyes

Good to have you on board. And just beware, modding is an addiction! :lol
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Roosy

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 December 2012, 11:38:42 pm »
Thanks all for the confirmation as such, as long as it's normal I'm sure I'll get used to it.

That hill isn't too bad... this picture was taken as soon as I jumped off after picking it up, though I really wished I had stopped *before* the garage at the time...

I'll probably get a few more rides in this week then leave it at my friend's house for Christmas, but I'll spend that week or so pining for it I'm sure!

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 December 2012, 10:56:49 pm »
Nice bike,you need to get some Autosol on the headers though. My 2005 model has a stiff clutch and clunky gearbox too.
« Last Edit: 19 December 2012, 10:57:58 pm by robby boy »
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.