Date: 15-06-24  Time: 08:03 am

Author Topic: Gloves.....advice please  (Read 2164 times)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
Gloves.....advice please
« on: 14 December 2012, 11:56:57 am »
not motorbike gloves :b
I suffer with cold in me hands, not Raynaulds but I still feel it bad. Wearing ex military arctic mitts at the mo but theyre too bulky. Need a good pr of warm gloves (waterproof too would be good) for walking the dog/hill walking/possibly cycling
want gloves not mitts and the outdoor shop recommended skiing gloves but they never had my size in. can anyone recommend a decent pr?
I don't mind the cost they just need to do the job and I know this is quite subjective as what you consider cold maybe freezing to me
cheers
fire never sleeps

Exupnut

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gloves.....advice please
« Reply #1 on: 14 December 2012, 12:09:05 pm »
alpinestars c1 windstoppers r bloody good gloves. i use em when riding, walking and cycling. great fit and feel.
Just flapping about on this stagnant little pond on the outer rim of the internet.....yup....  :-))

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 December 2012, 12:28:21 pm »
just googled them and they look ok, size wise, are they compatible with normal sizes ie a Large is a large?
some makes come up smaller/bigger so I'd need to try for size
fire never sleeps

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 December 2012, 01:45:55 pm »
http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/special_buys3_26723.htm

Keep an eye out for these at Aldi, I have  3 pairs for winter cycling and they are the biz, been out cycling in minus figures (so cold my water bottle froze) and they kept me toasty.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 December 2012, 02:08:20 pm »
My missus getting me some gloves for xmas for doing same kind of stuff,shall see what she comes up with.

I got some expensive mountain equipment gloves but they were too thin,went up cadair idris last winter and they didnt perform.if it was any warmer then i wouldnt wear gloves full stop so they a bit of a useless thickness imo,for me anyway.

Ski gloves are crap when walking dogs coz not enough dexterity for gettin treats,doing the leads etc.

What i have had my eye on is a pair of ugg gloves, australian company,they make all those sillly looking boots that women go daft about,anyway if u go to m&m direct,click on mens accesories and scroll through youll see them, mens single point gloves, not exactly up there on the cool wall but i bet they are warm being sheepskin.

I think sealskinz are the way forward for waterproof gloves.

Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2012, 06:01:03 pm »
Check out some outdoor web sites, look for Alpine style gloves maybe.

I use a pair of Rab Gloves for winter hill walking but I don't have any particular issue with cold hands.

Another tip would be to get some inners.  I swear by Marino Wool for my base layer, so Marino wool glove inners would be a good idea.

And of course you need to keep your whole body warm, as soon as your core starts to cool, your body will shut down or reduce the blood supply to your extremities - ie hands and feet.

I do know when I've gotten my hands cold, like being to slow to get my gloves on as I gain height and pick up the breeze higher up, that it takes a long time for my hands to warm up again and can be quite painful. 

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 December 2012, 07:12:02 pm »
I got my dad a pair of neoprene fishing gloves from Aldi/Lidl, they seemed pretty warm and you can pull the finger and thumb back when you need more feeling
thou shalt not kick

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 14 December 2012, 08:40:25 pm »
I've got some of these and they're brilliant.

http://shop.onestopsafetyservices.co.uk/shop/glove-timberland-pro-warm-effect-p-28.html

I've got a pair at work and a pair at home. Well toastie. We used to stock them but now only sell gloves that offer chainsaw protection.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

PlasticHarry

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - VFR 750G
    • View Profile
    • Tyne Valley Plastics Ltd
« Reply #8 on: 14 December 2012, 10:13:55 pm »
I got some of the Aldi ones for shooting - great value, considering proper "shooting" gloves from a gun dealers are about 3 time the price for the same things.
The finger thing for the trigger finger is great too.

H

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 December 2012, 02:11:58 pm »
cheers everyone
fire never sleeps

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 15 December 2012, 07:59:37 pm »
No good for cycling but if youre walking with your hands in your pockets these are superb, quick squirt of lighter fluid and they will keep your hands warm all day long. Had mine for years and highly recommend them for anyone who is out in the cold for any lengh of time.....
 http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-POLISHED-CHROME-FIREFLY-PETROL-HAND-WARMER-WARMERS-2-125ML-ZIPP-FUELS-/150961760295?pt=UK_SportingGoods_OtherSports&hash=item232605a827

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 17 December 2012, 10:56:34 am »
cheers doddsie but dont fancy carrying lighter fuel plus chances are I'll have the dog so would prefer a good glove
fire never sleeps

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 17 December 2012, 09:41:17 pm »
Lol, you dont carry the lighter fuel, you fill it up before you go, lasts for hours!!   :lol

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 18 December 2012, 11:23:54 am »
hahahahaha what a numpty :o

knowing my luck Id still go WHOOOOOOOSSSSHHHHHHH :eek
and that aint good for a fireman, my street cred would be down the pan ;)
fire never sleeps