Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:27 pm

Author Topic: valve clearance question (again!)  (Read 6732 times)

limax2

• Creep.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: valve clearance question (again!)
« Reply #25 on: 02 November 2012, 07:34:28 pm »
Yes, rear suspension linkage needs lube as well per Haynes, but no play and I'd rather leave that as is.
It's a bit too late if you leave it till play develops before lubricating it  :\ .

Bit like saying the engines running o.k. so I'll not bother checking the oil or changing it.
P.S. I'm not suggesting you would do that.  :evil

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #26 on: 02 November 2012, 08:14:08 pm »
Yes, rear suspension linkage needs lube as well per Haynes, but no play and I'd rather leave that as is.
It's a bit too late if you leave it till play develops before lubricating it  :\ .

Bit like saying the engines running o.k. so I'll not bother checking the oil or changing it.
P.S. I'm not suggesting you would do that.  :evil

Tommorrow I'll check valves, balance carbs and check cam chain tensioner. See where I'm at and decide what to do.

Sort it out if needs, then think about those linkage. My bike has seen very little rain, no winter, so maybe lube is still OK. :)
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #27 on: 03 November 2012, 01:36:54 pm »
Went to the mate's garage this morning. Valves are OK. Intake just below 0.15, exhaust about 25. However, cam chain is stretched. Needs a change. Ordered a new one (55 euros). Carbs in need of cleaning as well as synchronizing. The man asked 40 euros for labour to do it all himself. I think it's fair, since I have work etc and it is sitting in his garage while cam chain arrives.

The same guy tried to talk me out of servicing fazer, to sell it and get a newer Honda CBR, or at least a Yam. Thundercat. Said it would suit my "riding style and temperament" better than this ancient motorcycle. Talked something about depreciation and value for my money... rubber parts getting all worn and due for change (carb rubbers are still good, but have cracks and according to him they will cost about 50 euros each to replace when needed).   

I gave it a thought... for about 10 seconds. Of all the bikes I've tried, Fazer suits me best. For track and fast twisties I'd like to have a different bike, but when you put it all together... this is it. Hope to ride it in the next decade (around 8000 kilometres per year).
« Last Edit: 03 November 2012, 04:12:00 pm by Slaninar »

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 November 2012, 10:52:04 pm »
how do you know the cam chain is stretched and needs replacing out of interest?

Slaninar

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #29 on: 05 November 2012, 05:40:16 am »
how do you know the cam chain is stretched and needs replacing out of interest?

It makes a sound, cam chain tensioner is fully done it's travel, and the chain can be lifted a bit with hand off sprockets. Not totally off, but can be moved. My mate said those are all signs it will soon be busted. I thought, once I've taken it all apart, why not do it all? Let it wait at his garage for new chain to arrive and get it all done.

scottyboy2203

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 November 2012, 12:30:40 pm »
OK, that definitely sounds like a new chain is needed! Hope it's not too expensive..