Date: 01-06-24  Time: 12:05 pm

Author Topic: Fork Oil Seal Leak  (Read 10490 times)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Oil Seal Leak
« Reply #25 on: 16 November 2012, 06:51:40 am »
 "....the bike is in brilliant condition except for a fairly large crack and hole in the front fairing on the left side above the leaky fork...."

Coincidence ??  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 16 November 2012, 05:23:51 pm »
Hi Unfazed yeah it is definitely leaking, I have wiped under the dust seal before but I tried it again yesterday and just riding 12 miles today to college and back was enough to leave quite a big line of oil, doesn't help that the roads directly around my house are really bumpy. Yeah darrsi that's why I mentioned the damage could well be something to do with it, I will take a photo at some point but been busy lately and want a pic in the daylight really, will probably take one tomorrow. Hmmm not good I dont know how I didn't spot it on the test ride (I was actually pillion for the ride and my dad took me out as I was still on 33bhp restriction at the time  :rolleyes ) or how the dealer didn't spot it during the MOT and small service they did  :\ .... I asked Markbubble but he has sold the forks already unfortunately. I guess I have 2 options then; replace the seals again with genuine Yamaha ones and dust seals too which will be £40 for both and cross my fingers or sell a kidney and get some replacement forks. Where would be good to try and get 2nd hand decent condition ones at a similar age for my bike do you reckon? Thanks again for all the help!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 16 November 2012, 06:52:15 pm »
Go the cheapest option first.
Replace the seal and dust cap with a genuine yamaha one. When you strip the fork leg check the bush and the inside of the slider for were marks. When you put the seal on from the top make sure the fork leg is as clean and smooth as possible and the leg and seal are well oiled especially the seal tips. Make sure the top of the fork leg is clear of any metal bits from the aluminium fork cap which can lodge there after removing the fork cap.