Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:54 pm

Author Topic: exup question  (Read 8870 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
exup question
« on: 04 October 2011, 07:52:28 pm »
because at the moment im struggling to get the exup parts i need im thinking of blanking the pivot hole by using a snug fitting bolt and locking it by 2 nuts so nothing can come loose,i know i will lose the mid range power but will it cause the bike to be a bit spluttery in the rev range where the exup valve would be working? i know i could leave the exup slide in place but im thinking by leaving it out there is nothing to get in the way,anyone tried this and will it work?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: exup question
« Reply #1 on: 04 October 2011, 09:21:28 pm »
Not spluttery, just (really) gutless low-down. You could ride around it but it won't be much fun.

There are currently 4 ebay auctions for Fazer 1000 downpipes starting from £75 - is money a major factor?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 October 2011, 09:45:41 pm »
Not spluttery, just (really) gutless low-down. You could ride around it but it won't be much fun.

There are currently 4 ebay auctions for Fazer 1000 downpipes starting from £75 - is money a major factor?
i have a decent set of downpipes on their way with no broken bolts,i dont realy want to buy another set of downpipes just for the exup valve

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 October 2011, 08:35:26 pm »
well i got my exup valve from the states,which is a bonus as it has not had the salt treatment that we get here in the uk,i dont thing the bike that the exup valve came off has done a lot of miles,even the screws that came with it look like they have not been used,but i have to strip it as it sounds a bit squeaky

TheToaster57

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Who Needs Anything Else?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 October 2011, 08:53:15 pm »
Me 'n' the other 'arf each have a Fazer Thou; mine has no valve, hers does; the difference, below 6K revs is very noticeable, but I tend to live above 6K revs most of the time and never notice it; the very loud exhaust note tends to make me wanna revs the guts out of it.. Just a hoolibum at heart; Mine is removed & blanked off with a nut and bolt...
And on their best day, the Gods at Yamaha Struck the block of rough ore and the Fazer Thousand was formed; and they looked down and smiled, for it was brilliant in its purity; and, low, we all new that anything else is an 'also-ran'...

SEPTIKANGEL

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GL1800 &amp Commando850
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 October 2011, 10:33:03 pm »
Replace all them bolts with stainless!!
IF IT AIN'T BROKE, FIX IT 'TILL IT IS.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2011, 05:09:43 am »
Replace all them bolts with stainless!!
i will be when i can find them,i have a bag full of bolts

Manny

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2011, 11:46:00 am »
Hi. Rather than starting a new thread I thought I would add my question here, hope you don't mind.

I have an Ivanised Fazer with a disabled EXUP valve. It is stuck open. It isn't seized as I've had a mechanic look at it and he says it is in good working order.

Question is how will it have been disabled and is there a way to get it re-enabled?

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2011, 12:30:20 pm »
Manny - I take it there are cables still attached to it?
If there are, the cables may be incorrectly adjusted - they are probably too tight.

Pat's web-page contains decent info on setting the exup cables to the correct tensions

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

Another possibility is that the actual exup valve has warped slightly and is sticking in position. Loosen the end plate off a good bit and see if the valve then rotates freely.
My valve was sticking when I tightened down the end plate. It had suffered from mild warping and had to be bent back into shape. Additionally, a bit of metal on the end tab had to be filed away for smooth rotation and its now a touch loose, resulting in a bit of rattling /squeaking. But at least the noises tell me its still working....

Are you getting the 7k tacho error?

Manny

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2011, 12:49:49 pm »
Cheers, I will have a go at getting the cover off and take a look.

No tacho 7 error. Mechanic said it all seemed to be fine except for the fact that it wasn't working! Will check the cables.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2011, 04:31:05 pm »
mine had the pulley removed and a collar and a washer then it was bolted up so the valve would not turn,my cables were left off

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 31 October 2011, 05:09:38 pm »
Mechanic said it all seemed to be fine except for the fact that it wasn't working! Will check the cables.

Err, why hasn't the mechanic checked cables, adjusted slack, confirmed the valve is capable of moving freely etc etc?

Sounds to me like your mechanic is great except for the fact that he's useless. ;)

How about being a bit more specific with your description of 'disabled'.  To me that means someone has deliberately prevented it from working as it should. 

Standing by to help just as soon as we have a clearer idea of the symptoms.  Photos might be helpful, too. :)

Mike

squitbit

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 November 2011, 01:25:59 am »
I've been interested in the exup issue since the day I got my thou new 7 years ago (2/11/04). Bike was Ivanised (slip on kit) by Mike(Falcon 269) in June 05 and he kindly serviced the exup for me at the same time. The bike has been used pretty constantly since then and the exup hasn't been touched, just short of 50k miles on the clock now, I've had the 7k error twice since then but only on very cold winter mornings, error disappears after a mile or so. I'd be interested in any comments regarding this. Very few greases will withstand the temperatures of exhaust gases that discolour stainless headers in a short space of time. I know my bike is tatty beyond belief but I fix it when it's broke (almost never) and do all the maintenance that Yamaha say I should.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 November 2011, 07:16:21 am »
Your problem is less the occasional 7k tacho error (indicating that the valve is just nipping up slightly until heat/vibes free it up) than the inevitable corrosion that will have seized the bolts solid by now.

Servicing the EXUP every minor service and reassembling with copper grease will stop the bolts from doing this.  That's what's meant by 'preventative maintenance'. ;)  In this case, fixing when broke is going to be more of a pain than it need have been.

Although the carrier element of copper grease burns off, the copper itself does help to keep the valve moving properly. 

Mike

PS.  Yamaha don't say you should service the EXUP every minor service.  In fact, they don't mention the EXUP in the any of the service intervals which is utterly ludicrous! 

Manny

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 November 2011, 03:56:05 pm »
Mechanic said it all seemed to be fine except for the fact that it wasn't working! Will check the cables.

Err, why hasn't the mechanic checked cables, adjusted slack, confirmed the valve is capable of moving freely etc etc?

Sounds to me like your mechanic is great except for the fact that he's useless. ;)

Hehe aight, I should be clearer. Not mechanics fault I should have got him to explain things more to me whilst I was there. May give him a ring and get a more detailed explanation. He's good and very thorough.

Just been out and checked. Cables are present. Prongs/fork over the hole. Cables not slack. No movement when I turn it on. No fault code.

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 01 November 2011, 04:15:37 pm »
follow the cabble adjustment section here first. it will rule out many things in 1 go

http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 01 November 2011, 08:34:33 pm »
He's good and very thorough.

Which will be why he handed it back to you unserviceable ... ? :)

Disconnect the cables.  Apply 12v direct to the terminals on the EXUP servo for a few seconds.  It should spin freely.  If you get no response, the servo motor is shot. 

If the servo spins, then the problem lies downstream in either the cables (check for free movement/frayed ends) or the valve itself.

Don't discount the possibility that the cables have been fitted incorrectly to the pulley.  I've seen cases where they've been reversed and there's been no tacho fault code to suggest anything amiss. ;)

greatfun

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia RSV1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 February 2012, 10:45:30 pm »
Hi Mike
Sounds like my servo is on its way out, when you say, direct power for a few seconds and it should spin freely, mine after say one second will turn from 12 o’clock to 3 o’clock slowly.
Can the servo be serviced or is it a sealed unit? :rolleyes
I will try the resistance test this weekend!!
I have just joined the Fazer why of life, so am learning pretty quickly the down side of an exhaust valve that’s not been cared for, after applying plenty of heat and using a press to try and extract the valve from its housing plate, it finally moved, I was beginning to think it had been welded in, plus you could say I was lucky that only one bolt snapped in the exhaust body, opted for the drilling and re-tapping method which worked, rather than using stud extractors, didn’t fancy an extractor snapping. :eek
Big thanks for all your previous post I have read, and for all the post I haven’t read yet, have a horrible feeling I might be.
Cheers :)
Craig

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 February 2012, 02:58:38 am »
Doesn't sound like a healthy servo motor, does it?  I believe it's possible to open 'em up and if it's the internal gears sticking, you might get lucky and effect a repair.  If not, you should have no problems finding a good used replacement.  I have a brand new one surplus to requirements somewhere if you get stuck.