Date: 15-06-24  Time: 23:58 pm

Author Topic: Carole Nash Rip Off!  (Read 4876 times)

Streetbudgie

• GP Hero
  • Don't mess with a budgie
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Carole Nash Rip Off!
« on: 13 August 2012, 11:57:24 am »
So I bought a classic scooter on a whim 23 days ago - I know, I know but it was on E Bay all shiny and chrome and it was just calling out to me. Anyway I have another modern bike (Yamaha Fazer) insured with Bike Team but they don't take classics, so I though I'd try Carole Nash as I had a scooter with them a long while ago and I could arrange it on line.

The quote came back at £143 which seemed ok and I could pay in 3 installments of £47.60 so I paid the first on line and rode the bike home.

Problem number 1 occurred about two weeks after arranging the insurance when a credit agreement with a dodgy looking credit company arrived stating that 'my credit application was accepted and I now owed them £170 to be paid over 10 monthly instalments and a direct debit had been set up on my account to take the first payment that week'. Obviously I had no idea what this was about so I contacted the credit company to be told it was arranged by Carole Nash, the call taker was rude and arrogant throughout and gave me the impression that this company only deal with those who couldn't get mainstream credit approval' I told them I wanted nothing to do with them, I had no contract with them and they were to cancel any agreement they thought they might have, they refused and stated that Carole Nash would have to cancel it otherwise they would be taking money as stated. I got straight onto my bank and cancelled the direct debit they had set up and instructed the bank to ignore any further requests from them. I rang Carole Nash and gave them a rocket for not seeking my approval for this credit agreement and paid the full amount over the phone as this was the only way Carole Nash would agree to cancel the credit agreement. I did not receive an apology or a decent explanation as to why the agreement of 3 monthly instalments had been changed to the credit agreement.

Problem 2 occurred when I moved home, I knew I was moving when I took out the policy and explained this when I rang up to sort the credit agreement issue and was told it would not be a problem, simple phone call to change over and that would be that.  I rang this morning to change over the address and was told that my premium would go up by £115 and they would charge me £37.50 to change it over - What the F***!!!
I have moved to a nicer area, further out of London and all my other insurances - car, modern bike and home have all decreased or remained the same with no cost to change over.

The call taker was stroppy and rude through the call eventually putting me through to a 'Supervisor' (probably his mate at the next desk), who was exactly the same except he informed me that the area I have moved to is 2 insurance groups higher than where I was - to clarify I moved from Dagenham to Hornchurch (think Basra to Balmoral and you have the right comparison). When I stated that all my other insurances had decreased he couldn't offer any explanation other than 'that's what it says here'.

I then went off the phone and googled around classic bikes insurance and came up with Bike Sure who have quoted me £88 fully comp same address, same bike, same T&C. So that is £55 cheaper than Carole Nash's original quote and £170 cheaper than their revised premium for moving to my new address which they clearly think is downtown Baghdad.

Problem 3 occurred when I decided that I wasn't willing to pay their additional premium as it was clearly a complete rip off, so I called them back and told them I wanted to cancel. Bearing in mind I had paid the annual premium in full of £143 only a week or so earlier and had the insurance for a total of 23 days, the refund they are willing to give is a paltry £51 - yes £51 so that means I have paid £92 for 23 days insurance which is £4 more than Bike Sure want for the whole year at my new downtown Baghdad address.

The call taker explained that the charges were a combination of cancellation charge £37.50 part refund of the premium less 20% and an admin charge. There is no way in the world that Carole Nash can justify any of these charges except the 20% premium charge as that is made by the underwriters so this is blatantly a rip off by Carole Nash, money for nothing and poor service while doing nothing.

My advice - steer clear of Carole Nash at all costs and avoid them like the robbing toads they are, I will be telling all my biker and scootering friends about this experience so they don't get caught as well.

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Carole Nash Rip Off!
« Reply #1 on: 13 August 2012, 12:16:10 pm »
i recently had a quote off them for my foxeye, and bear in mind ime 57 and full no claims etc and live in a area of tranquility compared with such as london etc!!....they wanted off me...£307.55p.....how they got this fkn figure i just dont know??.....i only paid £82.00 for my fjr last year with bennets!!,,,,anyway i got quote off swinton for...£59.00 fully comp with only £150 excess!!!!!!....think they want reporting to insurance ombudsman!!....

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 August 2012, 01:06:14 pm »
I switched to C. Nash (6 wheel policy) last  September. Premiums reasonable then. I await renewal notice with interest!
In the old days loyalty was rewarded-now it seems as though we are seen as "cash cows" to be milked at every opportunity. Thought the "Government" was supposed to be looking at the motor insurance industry? What really P****s me off is having to pay approx £25 per annum to cover the uninsured B******s, let alone all the bloody whiplash claims! but the way premiums keep going up its hardly surprising so many try and avoid paying! Glad Im not just starting out again age 17-feel really sorry for the genuine young drivers/riders :(

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #3 on: 13 August 2012, 01:48:45 pm »
They are ALL a bunch of thieving 2wats!!
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 August 2012, 03:04:26 pm »
pays to shop around......hastings have been good to me with the 600  :D
One, is never going to be enough.....

Rusty

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 August 2012, 04:20:56 pm »
On any credit agreement you have a cooling off period which can be anything up to 14 days. First up I would examine the T&C of that payment plan very closely to see if your statutory rights have been breached.  As for insurers, they are all in the same game - they're not there for you they're there for themselves, and you need to deal with them accordingly.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 August 2012, 05:06:44 pm »
On any credit agreement you have a cooling off period which can be anything up to 14 days. First up I would examine the T&C of that payment plan very closely to see if your statutory rights have been breached.  As for insurers, they are all in the same game - they're not there for you they're there for themselves, and you need to deal with them accordingly.

well said that man............
One, is never going to be enough.....

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 August 2012, 07:32:02 pm »
Insurance, total nightmare these days, just get the absolute cheapest and hope you never have to claim.

There must be so many uninsured drivers and riders now due to the ridiculous costs, which then makes things worse for those who pay as they have to cover the costs.

My 17 year old daughter, still on provisional, can get her own insurance or go on mine or the wife's for 1850 (Cheapest quote, most were 3 to 7K) on a group 2 Ford KA. When she passes her test it goes up to 4100 (most quotes 7 to 10K), I know she could hit a Rolls or such like but the car is only worth a grand.

My dad had a bump in his car last year, other drivers fault (who was uninsured) so he had to claim off his own to get his car repaired. Carol Nash then doubled his bike insurance at renewal time???????

tex

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - tdr 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 August 2012, 08:34:05 pm »

Most are just out to get as much money out of you as they can, I recently moved, it cost £35 for the bike, and £44 for the car, Any little change they will charge you. The big question is when you come to claim , they will try to wiggle out somehow, ie any undisclosed extras on the bike. Insurance is only good to keep the old bill happy on there anprs.
the night i was born, lord the moon stood a fire red., my poor mother her crying,
she said the gypsy was right, and she fell right dead

cable tie

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Carole Nash Rip Off!
« Reply #9 on: 13 August 2012, 10:01:15 pm »
There Fooking robbers all of em, you pay a premium based on how much you tell them it's worth but when you bin it or it gets nicked will they pay the value you told them ! will they fook they offer you half if ya lucky ! Howz that work I paid a premium based on what I valued the bike for !

Carole RASH is ok In my books for me anyway !! You want to try MCE there 100 times worse.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 August 2012, 11:54:20 pm »
Anybody got any good stories of people who paid up and actualy did what we paid them for? My insurance is not due yet and hope never to use it, but any good reports (I know it's not good if you're making a claim) may be useful for renewal time.
Cheers
Andy

AdieR

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 August 2012, 01:34:01 am »
I've used Aviva for some years and to be fair they've generally been quite competitive.
Had a claim on my (then) employers liability policy (also Aviva) (bike got decked by a works van 10 days after I bought it), liability settled within 3 days and the bike assessed within 10 days of the claim being submitted.

Apparently one of the insurers "tricks" is if you have a non-fault claim, they reckon you're more likely to have a claim against you in the following (3?) years - f*** knows how they suss that out. Remains to be seen how much mine goes up by at renewal time.

Read a story on another site about one insurer (Bennetts IIRC) "advising" a customer that because he'd changed his bike, his NCB didn't apply to the new bike (ie, he'd have to earn it from scratch, even though he'd been riding claim-free for years).

Lawrence

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - CBR1100XX Super Blackbird
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 14 August 2012, 09:30:28 am »
There Fooking robbers all of em, you pay a premium based on how much you tell them it's worth but when you bin it or it gets nicked will they pay the value you told them ! will they fook they offer you half if ya lucky ! Howz that work I paid a premium based on what I valued the bike for !

Carole RASH is ok In my books for me anyway !! You want to try MCE there 100 times worse.
They'll only pay out on what you tell them it's worth if you have an agreed value, which you'd normally only do on something heavily modified.  They pay the trade value, but usually only after you refuse the first couple of piss-take offers.

Jacko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 14 August 2012, 02:33:10 pm »
I had a wee collision while with Ebike, got a loan bike and all repaired no fuss or drama,
no loss of NCB.
Just moved to CN at £97 for year fully comp with breakdown all nice and civilised.  (so far)
Sent from my pants - using talkingbollocks