Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:56 pm

Author Topic: Opinions please...  (Read 2553 times)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
  • Horwich, Bolton, NW UK.
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
Opinions please...
« on: 10 June 2012, 09:29:02 am »
Opinions please on the claims made in this auction that the exup valve can be removed altogether (without a subsequent dip in midrange and/or a flatspot).

New Downpipes
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/150819249281
QUENTIN TARANTINO - HALLOWED BE THY NAME!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions please...
« Reply #1 on: 10 June 2012, 10:12:43 am »
A few years ago Performance Bikes magazine tested the same make of headers on an FZR1000 and it produced good results, IIRC it gave a little more power with no loss of bottom or midrange without any rejeting, not sure if you can do a search on the magazine website but might be worth a try.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 June 2012, 10:43:24 am »
those replacement downpipes are 4-2-1 which normaly give a boost in the mid range bit not so much at the top end,a 4-1 will give a boost at the top end but lose out in the mid range

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 June 2012, 10:46:16 am »
I've got dyno charts which say otherwise. ;)

Even the best-made 4-2-1 headers for the Gen 1 suffer a small dip in the power delivery around 3k rpm.   The only aftermarket headers which avoid this are the Muzzy 4-1 which have a well-designed horizontal merge plate inside the collector section.

The Akra 4-2-1 gives more peak power than the Muzzy 4-1.  The latter is a wee bit stronger in the midrange. :)
« Last Edit: 10 June 2012, 10:47:32 am by Falcon 269 »

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 June 2012, 01:26:16 pm »
Bullshit I reckon, but you could be the guinea pig and let us know how it goes.

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: 11 June 2012, 09:50:16 pm »
I contacted the seller asking if he had any customer-testimonials because a few of us might be interested in these, but he just gave a rather pathetic answer and an even more pathetic guarantee....

Dear maddogmcq, We have sold many of these, you can check our feedback for customer comments.If you are at all unhappy we do offer refunds for UNUSED items within 14 days.
- sandybikespares

Needless to say, customer comments on eBay are the usual "Arrived quickly thanks" type remarks.

« Last Edit: 11 June 2012, 11:12:33 pm by MadDogMcQ »

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 12 June 2012, 04:46:49 am »
I also contacted them some years ago to ask for dyno charts and information on their development process.  None available, just the same worthless assurance that they fit all existing link pipes/end cans and that no re-jetting is required. 

I didn't bother to follow up with the obvious question as to how they knew no jetting change was required if they hadn't dyno'ed the product ...

The dyno chart I have is from someone who fitted a set of these headers and spent a lot of time and cash trying to eliminate a flat spot around 3 - 4k rpm.  He eventually ditched them for a set of EXUP-equipped OE headers. 

Says it all, really. :)

MadDogMcQ

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - CB250N
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #7 on: 12 June 2012, 08:12:14 am »
.....Says it all, really. :)

Sure does. Ah well, forget that then :-)
Tom

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 13 June 2012, 02:40:41 pm »
Fair is fair - nowhere in the add do they make power claims.

If your Exup is as knackered as your wallet, then this is a viable alternative that will get you on the road and through an MOT.  If you have the money for lots of dyno runs and tuning work, then you should probably be looking more towards £1000+ Akra full systems then £200 header replacements, so I don't see any reason to slag these guys off.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 13 June 2012, 03:18:03 pm »
but do consider a large part of the enjoyment of the gen1 fazer is its midrange pull, a lot of which is due to the exup.
I wouldnt want personally to lose that, even given how much of a ballache the exup can be....so IMO a suitable replacement should be as close to what we have now.There are plenty of revvy litre fours about , not that many as satisfying in the midrange and also having  the peak power the gen1 has.

tomlinscote

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 13 June 2012, 05:11:11 pm »
plus 1 for the above, mine stuck open once would not exactly say gutless (after all it is a 1000cc machine) but I was having to use the gears of all things!! Once up to speed of course :D
Once the valve had been stripped cleaned and regreased the bike was once more alive below 5000 rpm and I could go back to being a lazy b*gger
If you can keep itin the system and service every year it will make the bike the ace machine we all love and find hard to find a newer alternative.