Date: 16-06-24  Time: 20:06 pm

Author Topic: Rear tyre near legal limit = bike not turning at slow speed?  (Read 6480 times)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Evenin' all...

Just rode my new (to me) '03 FZS 600 60 miles home and it was fine on the quick corners, but starting off and trying to get round a small roundabout was a nightmare!!  On every slow turn the bike just wanted to go straight and I'd find myself running stupidly wide, one left exit I almost had to take at a walking pace, just so not to cross into the incoming lane :eek :eek [size=78%].[/size]

The GS 500 on which I passed DAS was as smooth as silk at any speed so I'm not sure what's wrong.  The rear tyre is pretty close to the legal limit and I'm not sure about the front, it look OK though..would this wear cause the steering problems?  Maybe there's just a secret "Fazer" way of riding I'm not aware of.

It's properly freaked me out I have to say, I thought I knew how to steer a bike..I managed to pass the test with flying colours anyway  :D

Cheers..Buzz
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Rear tyre near legal limit = bike not turning at slow speed?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2012, 05:35:49 pm »
Probably a squared off rear tyre or in need of some more air.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

CRH

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2012, 05:49:14 pm »
i would go for squared off rear too?? bandit i once had did same till put new rear on!!

paul.s

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2012, 06:23:48 pm »
check the pressure in the front one as well

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2012, 06:36:00 pm »
As stated above it could be a squared off rear tyre as that happened to me on the Fazer when the rear was wearing low. Of course it could be low pressure in the tyres. Don't forget you will get a better experience and control by setting up the suspension to suit your style of riding.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2012, 06:48:40 pm »
Cheers guys...I've just properly checked the rear tyre now I'm home and can see the top of the rear is pretty much flat.  I had no idea the handling would be so terrible at low speeds, truly scared the pants off me when I was drifting  outwards uncontrollably towards a National Express coach  :eek .

I'll get a new one fitted on Monday methinks.  I need to get a foot pump and pressure gauge as well....oh the joys and expenses of being a bike owner!

The front is pretty good but I've read that things could get unbalanced if 2 different makes of tyres are used together..True-say or bollox?  I don't really want to spend an extra £100 if I don't have to.

Thanks for the comments...Buzz

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #6 on: 19 May 2012, 06:50:19 pm »
Speak to the dealer to get a compatible tyre to the front one.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 19 May 2012, 07:26:40 pm »
I believe the general advice is to have front and back the same. I agree with the extra expense being a hassle but seeing as those are your only 2 contact patch's with the tarmac £100 isn't a lot compared to your life. Its your call.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 19 May 2012, 07:32:54 pm »
truly scared the pants off me when I was drifting  outwards uncontrollably towards a National Express coach  :eek .

That is a worry, and shouldn't happen.  It does make me wonder if you are always in control of your bike.

Considered controversial by some, but in fact it's the only way to turn a motorcycle that's moving rather than crawling.  Counter steering;

Wanna go to the left, then push down on the left bar (or pull back on the right bar)

Wanna go to the right, then push down on the right bar (or pull back on the left)

Plus never get fixed on where you fear you are going, always look where you wanna go.  Combine these two techniques, if you haven't already, and you should hopefully always end up going where you want to go, even on nasty tyres.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 May 2012, 07:38:12 pm »
i had a firestorm that would not go around roundabouts very well (going right) and that was because the front tyre had worn on the right side more leaving the tyre with a triangluar profile,fitted a new tyre and it was like riding a new bike,the centre of the trye was fine with plenty of tread,i would have another look at your front tyre for its shape ,normaly a worn in the centre rear tyre wont affect the way the bike turns like you are getting unless the sides are squared too

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 May 2012, 08:01:55 pm »
Yeah, all very strange.

Countersteering was no problem on my DAS course riding the GS 500, I could go round roundabouts using the pressure of one finger.  Today at times I was really pushing but to no avail, felt like the steering was almost locked in place.

I did notice that when stationary at lights the front wheel also felt extremely heavy to turn against the ground...much, much heavier than I remember from DAS anyway.  Low pressure maybe.

Anyway, thanks for the comments, I'll get the pressures checked and a new back tyre.

Onwards and forwards!

ddtwelve

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - triumph tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 19 May 2012, 09:36:38 pm »
Check tyre pressures and see if a steering damper has been fitted and wound up to max seen as you say it's hard to steer at a standstill also check steering head bearings when on main stand see if they have seized

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #12 on: 20 May 2012, 06:45:23 am »
I believe the general advice is to have front and back the same. I agree with the extra expense being a hassle but seeing as those are your only 2 contact patch's with the tarmac £100 isn't a lot compared to your life. Its your call.

If both tyres are good, no need for them to be the same. Just to be appropriate for the bike and riding style.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #13 on: 22 May 2012, 01:13:05 pm »
after reading this I realised i had never checked my tyre pressure since having bought my bike and the fella selling it had a brand new tyre put on it! (only had it since july!!)
so of I went to nearest petrol station armed with my 50p to put air in....
how difficult was this evalution???
4 petrol stations later i managed to find a nozzle that i could get into the wheel!!!

maybe i'm just not mechanically minded but is there an art or is this a general problem?
Faszer 600 on 02 plate with original rims
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #14 on: 23 May 2012, 02:42:45 am »
maybe i'm just not mechanically minded but is there an art or is this a general problem?

It's a general problem! I always had a bugger of a job getting the air hose nozzle (designed, of course, for car wheels!) onto the tyre valve on my FZ6 Fazer because the brake discs were in the way.

So the next time I had the tyres replaced I got a set of 90 degree valves like these (2nd item down) and it's pi$$ easy now :)

Also get a tyre gauge (a couple of quid for a simple one or less than a tenner for a digital one) and check the pressures you get from your local garage's pump against it.

Fortunately the garage nearest to me has a digital gauge on the air pump which is accurate, but the old "sliding scale" ones tend to be less than trustworthy.

Of course you should check your pressures every time you're going out for a long ride, see POWDERS for details :)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 May 2012, 08:46:08 am »
I have a "pencil" type gauge with a right-angle end to fit bike valves-used it for years & its accurate.Also a footpump (Halfords).
I dont trust accuracy of garage air line gauges & object to paying for air! Also keep a gauge in the cage. Years ago some trainer told me the acronym "POWER"..petrol,oil,water,electrics,rubber-check regularly ! IMO tyres a few psi down do affect the handling & as already mentioned 2 small contact patches between bike & road. I only use matched pairs of tyres-even on the cage! :)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 23 May 2012, 09:38:05 pm »
Got my gauge today.

Front - 27 psi
Rear - 28 psi.

No wonder the cornering was bad.  I need some air  :rolleyes

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 May 2012, 02:21:50 pm »
Got my gauge today.

Front - 27 psi
Rear - 28 psi.

No wonder the cornering was bad.  I need some air  :rolleyes

You definitely need to raise those pressures but remember to do it before the tyres heats and the air pressure rises.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #18 on: 24 May 2012, 03:07:15 pm »
Years ago some trainer told me the acronym "POWER"..petrol,oil,water,electrics,rubber-check regularly ! IMO tyres a few psi down do affect the handling & as already mentioned 2 small contact patches between bike & road. I only use matched pairs of tyres-even on the cage! :)
Ok as I've said not great at bike maintanance and I know I'm gonna get lots of stick and abuse bout this but ....
P petrol tick know how to check that and fill up :D
O oil?  :(
W Water?? :eek
E  Electrics if i turn the key and it starts thats good I ride with lights on and can check them
R Rubber thanks to this forum I now know how to check my tyres to correct pressure

ok to go back... Oil??? i've just looked over my bike... nope I can find oil filler cap  :)  check but no dipstick!! help!!
Water ?? where do i put that in???

no not a wind up ??

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2012, 06:36:35 pm »
Oil - look on the right hand side of the engine near the footpeg there is a spyglass. With the bike upright and a warm engine the oil should be halfway up.

Water, look by the back wheel (right hand side) from behind and you should see the rad tank.

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2012, 04:41:40 pm »
Tyres now at 33/40 and it's handling like a new bike!!  Can't believe the difference it's made.

BUT..

I went out for a quick ride in North London, heading towards Ali Pali, and stopped at lights a good 6 ft behind a van with a metro on the back.  Suddenly it van reverses to make way for some pedestrians and crunch, no time to even hit the horn!  The back of the loader went straight over the front wheel, pushed me back about a foot and split the front fender into about 3 pieces...fookin' ell!!  The wheel looks fine, no rim marks but I still might get it checked out.

Anyone know if all Fenders fit all FZS 600s, I see user sd1 is breaking a '98, would this fit an '03? 

68 miles of riding and an accident already..it's not going particularly well. :b

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 May 2012, 05:09:40 pm »
Know your enemy part 1..... Vans(often white,but not always),taxicabs esp PH drivers,pedestrians on fone/ipod/whatever. Really sorry youve had a "baptism of fire" but it could have been worse! :eek  I speak as an ex-large van/small truck driver & I promise you they have blind spots. Road positioning is so important...having said that you didnt expect him to reverse back into you. My Dad said years ago.. Always drive/ride as if theyre out to get you--he hasnt been proved wrong yet!
A sneaky traffic cop bike followed me some distance in my Sprinter van & deliberately positioned himself in my blind spot-Id already clocked him approaching. When he eventually overtook I gave him the nod/wave. I did have a "Think Bike" sticker on the back. :D Good luck with the front mudguard thingy..maybe get your wheel & forks checked?

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 26 May 2012, 05:50:54 pm »
Yeah, looking back at what happened I was pretty daft sitting dead center.  A valuable lesson learned, always make sure you can see the idiot driver in the mirrors.

13 years cycling to work in London and not a single accident.  15 mins on a motorcycle and crunch.

Still can't find out if any fender will fit my '02 though...b*gger all spares about it seems.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 26 May 2012, 10:34:08 pm »
Post a new message..Wanted...it will be seen by more people hopefully. :rolleyes

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 26 May 2012, 10:51:50 pm »
The tyre forecourt air line nozzle thing- if you look on ebay or go to your local friendly bike shop they sell screw on right angle valve caps that you just use to get air in ans then take off again so as not to affect the wheel babalnce- I think they cost about £3 and you can then use any air line
59 going on 57