Date: 16-06-24  Time: 02:29 am

Author Topic: How wet is your drought?  (Read 6040 times)

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
How wet is your drought?
« on: 28 April 2012, 11:08:58 am »
Funny thing since hosepipe bans announced we seem to have had nothing but rain! Like most foccers I daresay I pay more attention to weather forecasts than perhaps car drivers. Was looking forward to a ride tomorrow but our lovely weather girl smilingly tells me to expect strong winds & torrential rain tomorrow!Our water in Birmingham comes from the Frankley reservoir that links by pipeline to Elan Valley reservoirs 75 miles away. Last summer the Welsh reservoirs were well down(June) & after another dry winter-I guess its going to take a lot more rainfall to fill them up.

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: How wet is your drought?
« Reply #1 on: 28 April 2012, 11:14:22 am »
I don't think it's stopped raining in Peterborough for about 4 days.  Just got soaked taking a 1957 Austin Healey with a tonneau cover but no hood) to have new tyres fitted and the bike isn't moving for the foreseeable future.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 April 2012, 11:17:54 am »
I've been to 3 race meeting this year, Brands, Thruxton BSB and Assen WSB. Chucked it down at all 3 at sometime over the weekend.
Up until the last few days it has been quite dry around Dorset for a while.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 April 2012, 11:30:40 am »
Just had the pre Moto GP report from Yamaha Racing-practice marred by changeable weather wet to dry then wet. Would be nice to watch a dry race tomorrow. Thought the sun was always shining in Italy?

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2012, 12:06:11 pm »
I don't think it's stopped raining in Peterborough for about 4 days.  Just got soaked taking a 1957 Austin Healey with a tonneau cover but no hood) to have new tyres fitted and the bike isn't moving for the foreseeable future.

Absolutely. St Neots to Peterborough has been raining every bloody day. Heavy too with hail.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 April 2012, 12:48:46 pm »
Just had the pre Moto GP report from Yamaha Racing-practice marred by changeable weather wet to dry then wet. Would be nice to watch a dry race tomorrow. Thought the sun was always shining in Italy?

Jerez is in Spain  ;)

I noticed in March when we had al the nice weather in was wet in southern Spain.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 April 2012, 01:02:06 pm »
The water has obviously affected my brain! :D Geography lesson required.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #7 on: 28 April 2012, 01:53:35 pm »
The point about the drought is that rainfall has been *way* below average for the last 18 months to 2 years.

So whilst we may have had a month's worth in a few days, it would have to keep raiining like this all the way through May and halfway into June for water levels (reservoir and ground water) to start getting back to where they should be.

Unfortunately this seems to have escaped the tiny minds of idiots I see at the gym who turn the tap on full blast, wet their faces, add some shaving cream and then start shaving, all the while pouring a several gallons of water down the drain  :wall

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2012, 02:07:18 pm »
But it's mostly down to bad management.  When we do get any rain in appreciable quantities, they simply open the sluice gates and let it flow out to the sea.  A mate lives in the south of France and hardly gets any rain from April to October.  Do they have hosepipe bans?  No, the automatic sprinklers are on every day on the flower beds too.  Because the canals are used as huge water pipes to shift it from areas that do get rain as well as for barges to carry goods around.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2012, 02:59:02 pm »
I dont think its down to bad management, its down to our normal climate being so wet. We dont usually need to store water or shift it around the country. That may change, or it may not.

Raymy

• Erection Services Foccer
    Brighter than a ZippoFirelighter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - There is only 1 Gertrude
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 April 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
What, in the name of feck, is a hosepipe ban??

You mofo's is talkin crazy talk
Smell ones mother. Yaas!

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 April 2012, 06:23:07 pm »

There is an online weather station in the town near us 22.6mm today (so far) 130mm this month- thats over 5" in old money and 11" so far this year and counting

59 going on 57

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 April 2012, 06:25:38 pm »
Sorry- forgot to say- Llandrindod is about 10 miles from the Elan valley where your water comes from :lol

The sign at the top of the dam says when they were built they measured 70" rainfall a year- which is why they flooded the lush farming valleys to give water to the slums of Birmingham

Nothing much chnges in 100 years does it- apart from our rainfall has reduced
59 going on 57

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 April 2012, 09:40:36 pm »
We have not had any rain here for the last two days, we had a good inch of snow on Friday tho.  :rollin It has rained every day here for the past 6 weeks and the "April showers" were more like monsoons.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

nakedadder

• "Fat lad from Derby"
    imageSept 08
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 April 2012, 09:47:58 pm »
No rain here in Derbyshire for a couple of hours today, and for most of yesterday, apart from that it's been pissing down since sometime last year, or so it seems  :\
Sent from a fat foccer sitting in front of his pooter

Hodge

• Foc-U suck-up-to-admin and good taste in bikes Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX650F
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2012, 10:19:43 pm »
I do believe it has rained here every day in April.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 April 2012, 09:00:11 am »
Last night local TV news was talking about rising water levels of River Severn-pity they cant divert some to east side of country! Re Dolaus point couldnt agree more-My city wouldnt have been able to have developed without Dwr Cymru! Love your part of Wales-the best biking roads in British Isles IMO. Hope to be over there in June. What about that ride up the head of the Elan valley to Aberystwyth via Devils Bridge-ah fond memories! Sun Scenery & Roads! :D

MarchRide

• Big Lump o' Sex
    Prefers his pussies ginger!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 April 2012, 04:15:56 pm »
I think the water authorities should be fixing their own pipework and stop it leaking before they hosepipe ban us. Doubt we'd have a water shortage or drought if they did that.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #18 on: 30 April 2012, 05:18:11 pm »
I believe one of the issues with discharging flood water is the silt carried, our local reservoir (grafham water) has a pumping station from the local river but can't run in flood conditions due to the fact that it's running thick brown.
I am mean't to be taking my boat from gt.ouse in st.neots to the norfolk broads but not a chance at the moment, a week ago I was trying to work out the best time to do the tidal section at earith as they had too little water, now I'll be lucky to get under the town bridge.
Been to scotland over the weekend on the train and there was lots of standing water through notts and yorks.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 30 April 2012, 06:37:11 pm »
I think the water authorities should be fixing their own pipework and stop it leaking before they hosepipe ban us.

Checking the figures, London alone has something like ten *thousand* miles of Victorian cast-iron pipework. Thames water have replaced 1,300 miles or so of it in the last five years.

At that rate, they'll have replaced it all by, oh, about 2050.

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 01 May 2012, 08:24:47 am »
nonetheless, we  have had droughts before, as far back as  in 1976..yet what extra storage / transportation systems have been developed since then...its insane to have a drought yet all this stormwater simply goes to waste....it wont be too long before the old adage will get trotted out ....

" well you see, the problem is...its the wrong kind of water " !    :\

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 01 May 2012, 05:47:44 pm »
what extra storage / transportation systems have been developed since then...

The problem is that such systems are very expensive and usually, eventually, there's enough rain for someone to say "well we don't need to spend the money", so nothing happens.

Having said that, Yorkshire have introduced such systems because the west gets all the rain whilst the east is in the rain-shadow of the Pennines and gets much less see for details.

mcyoungy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 May 2012, 05:52:56 pm »
apparently the ground is too dried out and hard so the rain won't soak in and runs down the drains instead.

so shouldn't we be watering the ground to keep it soft instead of banning hosepipe use?

bmseven

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Gas Gas 280
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 01 May 2012, 07:49:38 pm »
Bloody Drought kept me awake last night

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 02 May 2012, 01:00:52 pm »
Pinched this from a mates Facebook says it all really

"I went for a swim to take my mind off the terrible drought we're experiencing. I did 25 lengths of the back garden."               but bare in mind this is the same bloke that posted this as well    "The average bloke thinks about sex once every six tits."