Date: 01-06-24  Time: 11:55 am

Author Topic: Rear shock/ suspension  (Read 932 times)

nordboy

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rear shock/ suspension
« on: 24 January 2021, 11:13:19 am »
All, is there a section or thread somewhere that lists exactly (models and year bikes) what other rear shocks fit the thou?

And also, what, if any, mods need to be made to the shocks to get them to fit.

I’m of average spannering ability, but my thou’s suspension needs updating/ upgrading.

Actually, while I’m asking, does anyone recommend somewhere to get my front forks overhauled and sorted, new springs/ oil etc that won’t break the bank.

I need front and rear done for the cheapest price. My bike is probably only worth £1k so don’t want to spend nearly that to get it sorted, but I also want to ride it, as it is, it’s not pleasant as I can very easily find the limits of the suspension.

Gnasher

• Foc-u Brake Doctor
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - ZX10R, XJR1300, X10, GSF1000GT
    • View Profile
Re: Rear shock/ suspension
« Reply #1 on: 24 January 2021, 12:37:48 pm »
All, is there a section or thread somewhere that lists exactly (models and year bikes) what other rear shocks fit the thou?

Do a search here's quite a few.

I need front and rear done for the cheapest price. My bike is probably only worth £1k so don’t want to spend nearly that to get it sorted, but I also want to ride it, as it is, it’s not pleasant as I can very easily find the limits of the suspension.

There's several that will fit but most need some level of modification.  The cheapest would be get hold of a low milage standard shock, as it's a straight fit, next standard that's been revalved and sprung this is a gamble as it my not suit your weight. Fit R6, BMW shocks, those being the more common mods, or gor for replacement shock Hagon, Nitron etc these are new and range in price £300ish to £2500ish, or try and get one that's second hand between 50- 25% less.

Front end cheapest just rebuild what is there, depending on mileage, this could be just oil, or seals, bushes if you want it harder replace the standard springs £80 - £200, or get it revalved and sprung £200 - 800 ish, by the likes of Brooks or Ktech. 

If you're up to it and have the tools. I'd recommend you strip the rear end, check all the bearings and rebuild it, same with the front.  In standard form they aren't that bad, yes they can be improved but for everyday use it's fine.  Especially if you're on a budget as you say you are.       

Later

CatalinU

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 January 2021, 06:07:33 pm »
BMW S1000RR rear shock till 2014. After 2014 they did electronic rear shock, so that's no good for the Fazer

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 January 2021, 02:25:54 pm »
You don't really say what you mean by the riding experience is not pleasant and you are finding the limits of the suspension, there may be tweaks you can make to improve this on the existing suspension. Most folks believe that if suspension is too soft and bottoming out you need to add more preload on the springs when in fact the starting point should be dialling in more compression damping, a couple of clicks at a time and checking if this has made the ride better or worse. A £20 jack-up kit will help as it not only puts more weight on the front to improve steering it also slightly changes the geometry of the rear suspension firming up the compression characteristics of the rear shock. Dropping the yokes down the forks also helps with steering response taking more weight from the rear of the bike (at this point you may want to add a bit more preload to the front).