Date: 01-06-24  Time: 22:37 pm

Author Topic: FZ1S possible buyer - questions and advice  (Read 2420 times)

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
    • www.river-valley-guest-house.co.uk
FZ1S possible buyer - questions and advice
« on: 03 April 2012, 01:22:19 pm »
Hello - new to the forum and looking to buy a 2006 FZ1s, 20,000 miles, standard other than a Power Commander. Before I commit to buying, just wondered what things I need to ask/check that are specific to the model? I'll do all the 'any bike' checks of course.
- does this model have the exup like the first gen? presumably I should ask if it has been regularly maintained?
- is it likely that the Power Commander is there to help sort the fuelling issues assocaited with the early FZ1S?
- any areas of specific issues I need to ask about?
Thanks
Greyhounds Make Great Pets!

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1S possible buyer - questions and advice
« Reply #1 on: 04 April 2012, 10:46:53 am »
If it has the std exhaust, the exup is in that and is only there for EU noise issues. If it has an after market exhaust, it's been ditched.
The 2006 models can suffer with throttle snatch. If it's an issue it can be overcome by fitting an Ivans FCE. An add on electronic gizmo that eliminates the snatch and gives 10bhp in the midrange. (have a search on the site). It may have been fitted already of course seeing as a PC has been.
2007 on bikes have an updated ECU which "supresses" the snatch.  Ordinary riders like me don't notice it at all. When I originally test rode a 2006 bike I never felt it then either :lol
A very few early bikes suffered with the frame welds cracking and yamaha replaced these FOC. The big weld joining the two frame halves just below the tank either side of the bike.
The seat is reported as being a bit hard by some.

I think that covers it for model specific traits.

Oh and welcome to the forum and ignore the piss takers who will tell you to get an earlier gen1 model.
Don't or you will start to smell of wee  :b
« Last Edit: 04 April 2012, 10:50:54 am by locksmith »

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 April 2012, 07:10:01 pm »
Thank you for that helpful reply.
Can I also ask:
- can you toggle the digital speedo/odo between mph and kph? (I'd want to register the bike in Germany)
- is the headlight a flat/straight beamed unit? or does it dip to the left? (again, if flat/staright, that'd be great, but if its a left dipper, I'd need to source an EU unit, as you can't deflect the beam with tape for Tuv, as you can for an MOT in the UK)
Thanks

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 April 2012, 07:31:53 pm »
 You can toggle the digital speedo/odo between mph and kph.   As far as I know the headlight dips to the left.   I've had mine for 4 years and over 28,000 miles and in my opinion, it's a great all-round bike. I use it for every day commuting, all year round. I agree, the seat is a bit low on comfort but bum-numbness does not affect me until I'm over 120-130 miles at a stretch. I bought a Sargent seat on Ebay and it's an improvement on the stock seat. Others speak highly of the Yamaha gel seat too.    Crash damage - the usual parts to get damaged (levers, pegs, mirrors, fairing, front sub-frame, indicators, engine covers) are replaced easily but here are a couple of ways to check if the bike's been down the road. The pedals bend easily. Look at the frame behind the rear brake and gear shift pedals, if the aluminium frame is marked, it's been over on its side and the pedal has dug into it. Another check is the headlight mounting lugs, particularly the top ones, they snap off easily in a spill.   The brake calipers don't like road salt so if the bike has been ridden through winter, check that the pistons are not seized in the calipers. They need regular maintenance anyway.   Front brake disc paint flakes off.   The immobiliser can drain the battery over a few weeks if the bike is not started; so I keep mine on a trickle charger over the weekends and when I swap to the other bike.   Erm, that's it. Buy and enjoy.     

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 April 2012, 08:05:04 pm »
Brilliant! thanks.
Just one more .... one of the bikes I'm looking at has a silver engine, rather than the black most seem to have. What does this mean? import? or did some come like this?
Thanks again

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 April 2012, 09:18:59 pm »
 [/size]Hows this?[/size][/font]

FZ1-S Fazer gen2 2006 on

Red paint / Black engine
Silver paint / Silver engine/ Blued frame
Blue paint / Silver engine

All have gold forks

Red & Black paint / Black engine
Teal (Green) & Black paint / Black engine
Blue paint / Black engine

All have Gold forks
Now have remapped ECU's to suppress the snatch, softer shock springs and possibly different seat foam?

Red paint / silver engine
Graphite paint / silver engine
Blue paint / silver engine

All have Black forks and body colour front fenders

Red paint has black tail / black engine
Graphite paint / black engine
Blue paint / black engine
Black forks and body colour front fenders

Bronze wheels and clutch/generator covers

Blue & white paint / black engine
White paint / black engine
Black paint / black engine
All have black forks and body colour front fenders

Exhaust now all black and black front and rear foot peg hangers
Remapped ECU yet again and back to black wheels

Oh and remember this is model years, not necessarily registration year if looking at used bikes

This all relates to UK supplied (not imports) FZ1S faired models.
USA imports usually have slightly different colour combinations but have much larger indicators and gold forks all years.

River Valley

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - DRZ400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 April 2012, 10:49:40 pm »
That's terrific, thanks, more than I could have hoped for.