Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:20 pm

Author Topic: Front tyre worn before the rear?  (Read 6502 times)

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
Front tyre worn before the rear?
« on: 21 March 2012, 05:53:29 pm »
Took the FZ1-S for it's first MOT (3 years old). The tester said I'll give you the benefit of the doubt on the front tyre.
It's got uneven wear patches on the edges. The tread has worn away in parts!!  :\
The bikes only done 3500 miles. The rear is as you'd expect, wearing in the middle.
Whats going on?

First time she,s come out of the garage since October. Boy it felt good riding in the sunshine  :D

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
Re: Front tyre worn before the rear?
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2012, 06:10:20 pm »
I've read of this happening with BT021's.  What tyre are you running?

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2012, 06:46:35 pm »
Grrr i cant think of the name. think it was storm ultra 2's i had.
the front on those wore out in less than 3k miles and the rear was good for 4k

the front also wore with an odd wear pattern and to a point (although a lopsided point as 1 side wore more than the other)
this was on a gen 1 thou

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2012, 07:33:26 pm »
Dunlops, can't think what ones at the moment but dual compound ones. They are the original fitment tyres.

dolau

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 March 2012, 07:36:27 pm »
Mine did that and I found that the front tyre pressure was low :'(
59 going on 57

Phil TK

• GP Hero
  • up yer..
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 March 2012, 08:12:17 pm »
This sounds like the phenomena known as 'cupping'. It's been discussed many times on various forums and certain tyres and bikes and/or combinations of seem to be prone to it.
 Unfortunately, as far as I know, nobody really knows why it happens and it would be difficult to prove any theory.
 When it happens, just changing the tyres for another make seems to be the proper course of action.

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 March 2012, 08:39:39 pm »
Avon Storm Ultra 2s for me on the FZ1 and VFR and I had the same problem with the front tyre of the first set of these I had fitted to the FZ1. It was fit only for garbage after about 5,000 miles. Has not happened with the set fitted on the VFR though.

I complained to Avon and had some to-and-fro emails with their development people. I'm pretty sure I posted about this on the old site. Still got the photos somewhere - if I find them I'll post up later.

The rear tyre lasted for over 14,000 miles though.

Previously I fitted only BT020s which used to last 9,000 rear, 14,000 front.

Ben Diesel

• Foc-u Pikey
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - VFR750FS FJR1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2012, 08:47:59 pm »
Here's the link to the old site:

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/reply/276826/Storm-2-Ultra#reply-276826

Got my numbers slightly wrong with the post above but the principle's the same.

ZiggyCol

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Ducati Multistrada 950
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2012, 11:24:59 am »
I'm on Avon Storm Ultra 2s on my Gen1 thou and have had to replace the front whilst the rear is still going strong.

First time I've ever had a front go before the rear - peculiar.
....----////   Life is not a rehearsal   \\\\----....

Cagey Thoughts

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - 2008 R1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 March 2012, 10:55:34 pm »
First encounted this particular peculiarity when i moved from 020's to 021's on the 600....... tackled Bridgestone about changing compounds etc.......................... "no comment" the reply........  (didn't like 021's on the thou at all...... think they had softened the carcass... rear felt like it had a flat all the time).....  Storm 2's seem to be ok on the 600 at the moment.. but the Dunlop Sportsmarts on the R1 are doing the same..... I am going through  2 fronts to a rear.........

Someone on another site suggested it was because I'm a fat bar steward....... LOL...... the cheek...... LOL

moffmeister

• Boffie - Yaks it like it is
    Terminally Incontinent
    The Golden Bulge
    The only gay in the village
    Moff Minogue

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 March 2012, 06:16:57 am »
had exactly the same phenomenon on my FZ-1 with 021s

not to the extent the rear outlasted the front but my rears are lucky to last 4K.....

I'm now a convert to Pilot Roads (on 2s the mo) - wear on the front is even.

locksmith

A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 March 2012, 02:47:35 pm »
Replaced the front with another Dunlop but it's a later model - still don't know the names :)

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2012, 01:33:35 pm »
try dunlop roadsmarts, they wear much more like a typical tyre.I do like them.
I much prefer 023 bridgestones to 021s....tbh the 021 have turned many folk off bridgestone, but the 023 are miles better.
I also get concerned about massive tyre mileages on bikes which only do a few thousand miles per year= old tyres on high performance bikes.Does UV light degrade such tyres ??

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2012, 02:13:49 pm »
I had some odd wear on my Avon Storm 2 Ultra front so thought I'd try the 023's and was very happy with the front but not with the rear. When you have a new tyre fitted you expect to experience a postive difference in handling, switching from the worn Storm rear to a new 023 to match the front was the first time I've ever felt dissapointed with a new tyre. I can't pin it down but I feel less confident and the bike feels less responsive. I'll probably get used to it but certainly won't be replacing the rear with another 023 when it's worn.

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2012, 03:04:47 pm »
Like your bike Locksmith my FZ1 has only covered 3900 miles and I think it is on original tyres, Dunlop roadsmarts (220 ?). The front tyre has worn quicker on the right side as you sit on bike facing bars, the left side has a good bit left. The rear has worn evenly but has worn more than 'the good side' of the front which should be the case on normal front to rear wear ratios.
Pilot road 3's for me next.

Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

chunk166

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Mountain bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2012, 04:23:41 pm »
I had 021's on my divvy 900 & ended up getting my money back for the front when i complained that it had started to square off! (yes,it squared off) in about 3,000 miles!> Bridgestone did know about issues with the 021's! (Where i get my tyres done i was told that Hampshire police had them all removed from their bike fleet!) & the rear had too but they reckoned it was normal at that mileage,i then had conti road attacks which i thought & still do are great but the front does scallop more on the right side,i put this down to going around too many roundabouts  :rolleyes , anyway i have bt021's on my fazer 6 & will deffo change them when they need changing & it will be to Maxxis

Ray

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
The first 023 rear i had was pretty good but i am realy dissapointed with this 023 rear. i ended up with the heavyer duty 023 rear (there are 2 types) its friggin awfull. no feeling and takes a lot longer to warm up.
it hasnt realy given me any scary moments as such just dosent inspire any confidence at all.
as i say it was realy my fault as the first normal 023 was pretty good. i should have insisted on the normal one again but thought it was worth the risk.

im 90% sure i will go PR2's (which i love) or PR33's next time.

Gray fox

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 March 2012, 06:22:53 pm »
Knew as soon as i saw the title that you would be on 21's. I am now on my 3rd set on my Fazer 1000, love the handling and usually get 5000 miles from a set, they are the only tyres i have had where the front and rear wear at the same rate, cant say that bothers me though. the handling goes off rapidly afer about 4500 though, going to try something different next, probably Maxxis as i retire soon and will be looking for the budget option, been spending my heating allowance on tires for the last couple of years.   

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 28 March 2012, 08:16:32 am »
dunlop 220 are not roadsmarts - they are a much older design tyre, so dont get them confused.I had them as OE on my 2006 new FZ-1.They are not in the same league as the RS.

I have not had any issues with 023 rears , now on my third set, have done 2 big (often  wet ) tours on them now, plus a full on trackday. I simply cant fault them on a K tech suspended gen1.But by the same token, the roadsmarts do a very similar job, they are a great tyre too. Not all tyres suit all bikes though , and I prefer the roadsmarts for my speed triple over a 023. Not all gen1 s will have similar suspension , so maybe this is where discrepancy will creep in.Also, I am a big guy , so this factor must be born inmind....but I cant help but feel that its a case of one tyre suiting a certain set up on a bike/ riders style of riding ... rather than a general fault per se. Like wise I hated the PR2s on my FZ-1, but many have praised them.... :\  !

Looney tune

• Cartographic Pickpocketing Foccer
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • - FZS 600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 March 2012, 08:27:05 am »
dunlop 220 are not roadsmarts - they are a much older design tyre, so dont get them confused.I had them as OE on my 2006 new FZ-1.They are not in the same league as the RS.

They are sportsmax 220 ( don't know why I put roadsmarts, doh )  :thumbup
Better to stand and look a fool than speak and prove it !
If it aint broke, I'll fix it till it is !!

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 April 2012, 11:55:35 am »
Knew as soon as i saw the title that you would be on 21's. I am now on my 3rd set on my Fazer 1000, love the handling and usually get 5000 miles from a set, they are the only tyres i have had where the front and rear wear at the same rate, cant say that bothers me though. the handling goes off rapidly afer about 4500 though, going to try something different next, probably Maxxis as i retire soon and will be looking for the budget option, been spending my heating allowance on tires for the last couple of years.
Consider changeing up to 023's. I used 021's and loved them. I now get the feel I always loved with better grip and longer life, and no nasty fade off at 4,500 miles! I am on nearly 7,000 and getting close to the wear markers, and they still feel great.