Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:12 pm

Author Topic: Vac bags - anyone got one ???  (Read 3258 times)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Vac bags - anyone got one ???
« on: 17 November 2016, 07:39:51 pm »
saw this advertised in a bike mag , I'm taking at least one bike off the road for winter and thought it looked useful
https://www.vac-bag.co.uk/test-category/motorcycle-vac-bag.html

Any thoughts ??

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Vac bags - anyone got one ???
« Reply #1 on: 18 November 2016, 07:47:18 pm »
I have a Henry hoover with a bag in it

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 18 November 2016, 07:53:52 pm »
Have you tried sealing your bike in it ? :lol

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 November 2016, 08:00:46 pm »
Nice thought tommy   :lol

ive thought about these and came to the conclusion that your just trapping In the moisture....the tents look a much better option, put the bike in , seal it and pump the tent up, a small comperssor keeps it inflated and also changes the air...mostly for cars but iam sure they do them for bikes...

there you go...a sensible thought on FOC-U    :lol
One, is never going to be enough.....

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 November 2016, 01:58:03 pm »
Got a spare Johnny Bag, is that any good??

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 November 2016, 09:32:47 pm »
'Crap'    just a thought  ;)
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 November 2016, 11:45:01 pm »
And there I was thinking I'll get the mature opinions of the adults on the foc  :lol  hmmm that went well
I thought it was a reasonable idea for protecting my pride and joy, yup maybe you were right with "johnny"  :)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 November 2016, 03:16:45 pm »
And there I was thinking I'll get the mature opinions of the adults on the foc  :lol  hmmm that went well
I thought it was a reasonable idea for protecting my pride and joy, yup maybe you were right with "johnny"  :)

I'm not surprised it attracted ridicule to be honest, if you have a garage that doesn't let rain in, then vacuum packing the bike is for all intents unnecessary I'd say.
 Money better spent on fuel preserver and a can of gt85/wd40.

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 November 2016, 08:29:05 pm »

The effect on the rubber/plastic parts could be bad if there's any fuel in the tank or carbs, 3 or 4 months trapped in an atmosphere of petrol vapour might well make the seat vinyl go brittle for example. The advice to empty the fuel system completely is worth following if you go down this route.

If you've somewhere dry to store the bike then that and some ACF50 should be fine.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 November 2016, 08:50:38 pm »
I used to keep my bike in a covered dry area between sharp hall and some outbuildings and the biggest problem was condensation not through lack of air circulation but condensation exactly because there was too much air circulation.
What sometimes happens is that after a cold period there comes a sudden warm up one day from the next and the difference in cold metal temp to the now warmer air puts a film of condensation all over the cold bits, just like breathing onto a mirror, you could even see the line of condensation thicker where the petrol was sitting in the tank.   

So sitting in a bag will not stop this kind of moisture unless it is a total vacume. My bike is now garaged in an integrated garage which shields it from any fast temp changes.
So I would say that is the best option which is to try and slow down the action of any outside temp changes, its not the amount of change but the speed it changes, cold to warm.

Green house heater? in and insulated shed. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Graham53

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 November 2016, 09:21:06 pm »
Unfortunately I don't have any covered or dry area to park , both bikes are in my front garden and I will be wintering 1 at least
although I've never seen one of the vac bags I sort of assumed that as you remove the air from the bag with a vacuum cleaner that it would be a total vacuum , the same company manufacture the ones for clothes , bedding etc as well and they are a complete vacuum like a second skin layer The website isn't very informative with pictures but it does say it protects against rust , corrosion etc. it says to drain fuel/oil but to protect the fuel system from gumming and oil becomes acidic and corrosive to internal parts,also to remove the battery however it needs a drisorb bag to trap moisture but that only needs changing once a year.
I might take a punt on it

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 22 November 2016, 10:22:41 pm »
I was given a large vacuum bag for clothes. Suck the air out with a hoover job.   The bag had a ziplock type seal which almost immediately leaked.
IMO  the only worthwhile vacuum bags for long storage are the heat sealed type used for meat.

« Last Edit: 22 November 2016, 10:26:00 pm by midden »

tommyardin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 22 November 2016, 10:38:20 pm »

Yeah I hear you can get a vacuum device for that little thing too.  :eek

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 November 2016, 08:33:19 pm »

Yeah I hear you can get a vacuum device for that little thing too.  :eek

Go Johnny Go Johnny

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 07 December 2016, 09:04:43 am »
I used to keep my bike in a covered dry area between sharp hall and some outbuildings and the biggest problem was condensation not through lack of air circulation but condensation exactly because there was too much air circulation.
What sometimes happens is that after a cold period there comes a sudden warm up one day from the next and the difference in cold metal temp to the now warmer air puts a film of condensation all over the cold bits, just like breathing onto a mirror, you could even see the line of condensation thicker where the petrol was sitting in the tank.   

So sitting in a bag will not stop this kind of moisture unless it is a total vacume. My bike is now garaged in an integrated garage which shields it from any fast temp changes.
So I would say that is the best option which is to try and slow down the action of any outside temp changes, its not the amount of change but the speed it changes, cold to warm.

Green house heater? in and insulated shed. 

This is exactly what has happened today with the quick rise in temperature all the cold surfaces are so wet it looks like it has been raining. 
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

vinnyb

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 June 2017, 10:21:21 pm »
 Sorry for the late response, I've only just noticed the thread :rolleyes  I've used these to store several bikes through winter over the years and have to say they work really well. My bikes have to live outside and I don't do winters nowadays ( That's what cars are for)  Condensation isn't an issue because they're supplied with desiccant bags. The bike stays dry regardless of the weather and comes out in spring exactly as it went in. They last years and you can dry the desiccant in the oven and reuse that too. The only problem is that on the occasional nice day that you do get in the winter it's too much of a pain to get out for a quick spin but I would recommend them to anyone who puts their bike up for the winter and hasn't got a garage.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 03 June 2017, 01:00:25 pm »

Went out with a few when I was young

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 03 June 2017, 07:40:57 pm »
I have to laugh at internet forums. Theres so much bollocks spouted about why you shouldn't use something by people who have never seen the offending item and then someone comes along who has used it and says it does exactly what it says on the tin! :lol   :rollin :lol