Date: 15-06-24  Time: 21:21 pm

Author Topic: Comfortable seat  (Read 4838 times)

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Comfortable seat
« on: 07 May 2016, 05:26:21 pm »
Went for a 200 mile ride on Wednesday to the coast. Rode 100 mile non stop and got off the bike and felt OK,stopped half way back for fuel and then started to feel very uncomfortable. The pain in the bum just got worse and worse and buy the time I got home was in agony. Any ideas of finding a cure or is it more trips to the chiropractor.

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Comfortable seat
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2016, 06:12:14 pm »
Grizzley wayne adams makes a very comfortable seat!!!

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2016, 11:45:25 am »
I find much the same. No problems at all until about 150 miles then the pain kicks in. The good(?) news is that the pain doesn't get any worse after about 200 miles.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 May 2016, 12:22:24 am »
After 300 miles today I stuffed a microfiber towel down the back of my pants for some improvement... Had another 100 miles to go!

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 May 2016, 09:58:52 am »
I wondered if anyone's tried the gel seat pads that fit over the stock seat. Saw them at the London Bike Show at the Excel.Seem to remember they were around the £55 mark. Only problem maybe is they'd be easy to steal.
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Don71uk

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2016, 07:45:12 am »
Robby,

I have one of these;

http://www.motorcyclegelpad.co.uk/index.html (I've got the riders extra large)

Yes it helps, can do 400 - 500 mile days, they're not that easy to steal while you're sitting on them, and when you stop just unclip it and put it in the tank bag/pannier/top box or take it with you.

don.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 May 2016, 01:45:57 pm »
Don71uk,
Thanks for your info. Almost bought one at the show I mentioned, as an impulse buy, but you can't beat an opinion of someone who has actually used the product.
« Last Edit: 16 May 2016, 01:47:14 pm by robbo »

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 May 2016, 01:27:43 pm »
A good mate has lent me a Air hawk 2 seat cover to try, so I will give it a go. Which do we think is best Air Hawk or gel?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 May 2016, 10:22:38 pm »
Air Hawk claim their product is superior to gel, but then I suppose they would. Please update with your opinion of the AH, I should think it would be a lot more expensive than a gel cover.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 May 2016, 07:56:32 pm »
I've got an airhawk seat and it doesn't really help me. I found cycling shorts with the padded arse work's well for long trip's but they do make you walk like you've shit yourself  :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 18 May 2016, 08:20:08 pm »
I've got a mint condition Airhawk Cruiser-r cushion that i'm considering flogging.

Since becoming a dad i am finally of the realisation that my rides aren't going to be long enough to get a sore arse in the first place & when i get to in future i'll be picking a bike with a naturally comfy seat.

I used to manage fine on my FZS600 i could go 150 miles without a sore arse........then i got an FZ1 & suddenly this dropped to 50 miles........i always thought the FZS1000 was about as comfy as you can get but i dont deny your pain, if you are feeling it you are feeling it.

Airhawk certainly helps....the FZ1 was extreme for me & i reckon it didnt double the comfort but certainly it did by about 3/5ths........stick it on an already comfy bike & then who knows could be the answer.

Make sure you follow the instructions & dont put too much air in....it shouldnt be a bouncy castle you should sink into it rather than roll about on top of it.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

jeffco

• Weekend Warrior
  • To old for it to be a midlife crisis
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 18 May 2016, 09:19:27 pm »
I had my seat done by Tony Archer in Huddersfield, just replaced the foam and redressed the seat, colour coded piping top job and very reasonable price.  This was about 5/6 yrs ago £60...I nearly fell over when I saw the quality of the work, I honestly thought ,he's quoted me the wrong price when I saw it and a great improvement in comfort without using gel.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2016, 09:37:06 pm »
I got an airhawk, its in the loft, best place for it....its like a bouncy castle, you cant feel what the bike is doing.
Your bum doesn't hurt but everything else does cos you crash !
Robbo..you can try it..then I will put it back in the loft.. :lol

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 19 May 2016, 05:20:47 pm »
I got an airhawk, its in the loft, best place for it....its like a bouncy castle, you cant feel what the bike is doing.
Your bum doesn't hurt but everything else does cos you crash !
Robbo..you can try it..then I will put it back in the loft.. :lol
Oi oi,
Hope you didn't ride home from France last year on that Airhawk otherwise it should be in landfill rather than the loft. The gel pad around the 50 quid mark seems the way to go, or maybe when Aldi/Lidl next have cycling gear, get a cheap pair of gel shorts. However they could get a bit tricky if you were breaking your neck for an eyelash.
Maybe see you next week.

Flooky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 20 May 2016, 07:55:53 am »
No I didn't use it then,  :eek
That was the worst ride of my life, I bought it I think when I had the B EM  but the best thing was that sheepskin, but it would look a bit pants on a Fazer .
I have seen motorcycle specific under pants that have padding in different places for different styles of bike ( sports/ adventure etc )
I think I saw them in those little mags that come with bike mags, the free thing inside.
You might as well try lidl or aldi  :lol Robbo cos that's where you get most of your gear !
But you must stop buying your brake pads there....

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 20 May 2016, 01:09:14 pm »
Lidl and Aldi, don't knock 'em until you've tried 'em. They're right up there with Primark and charity shops. Those pads would have been fine if it wasn't for the greaseproof paper they came wrapped in.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 20 May 2016, 02:58:33 pm »
Padded cycle shorts are as good as anything. Cheap from eBay or sports direct.

Ricky

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 27 May 2016, 09:25:15 pm »
Been out and tried the air hawk,have to say i am impressed.It was more comfortabile than i thought,it did need a bit of getting used to. The trick is not to have to much air in the bladder ,just enough to give a small gap.It did not move around as much as i thought it would.The biggest proplem is when you accelerate,you shoot backwords which is a bit off butting.For just running about i would not use it, especially if i wanted to have some fun on the twisters,but on long trips and motorways it would help sort a numb bum.My mate has gave me some good advice, only use the airhawk on the last part of the trip not the beginning, becuse that way it helps to give you a new position and feeling, helping to make the last few miles more bearable.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 May 2016, 09:33:55 pm »
Well i've still got my airhawk cruiser r if you want to buy it Ricky?

Can stick up pics & a fair price if you are interested, only used for my wales to scotland trip & i couldnt have done the trip without it.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

matt7chunk

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Xj900f 1993
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 28 May 2016, 05:31:26 pm »
If Ricky is not interested I may be,  pics and pricing would be great

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk