Date: 16-06-24  Time: 02:17 am

Author Topic: Horror footage of speeding biker  (Read 8727 times)

snapper

• GP Hero
  • Life is an accident waiting to happen
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - panther M120
    • View Profile
Re: Horror footage of speeding biker
« Reply #25 on: 04 March 2012, 01:15:17 pm »
ok Im sorry dispite all the argument this has raised , its all academic now .
 but I have an issue with the footage , if you watch it while he is giving it the beans the clock just doesnt seem right watched it on two computers now

can some one else study it as well !

Mark

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 04 March 2012, 02:14:40 pm »
I'm not having a go at the vid, I was having a go at a certain tabloid that the link appeared to be from, though I can't see it on the thread now
fire never sleeps

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #27 on: 04 March 2012, 02:37:10 pm »
Having watched the full video, I think the original reporting is, shall we say, somewhat hyperbolic, words like "horror footage", "maniac" and "lethal" really aren't justified.

Yes, he does stupid undertakes and in a couple of places he's much travelling much too fast and too close to vehicles in blind spots where he'd be in serious trouble if someone else made a manoeuvre, but the impression given in the report isn't really borne out by the evidence.

I'm not agreeing with what he did, naturally, it was stupid and his excuses that "he was in total control at all times" and insisting his bike was built for speed don't really wash, but I've seen much more dangerous behaviour (eg texting on mobiles whilst driving) that would just get you a slap on the wrist with an insignificant fine and three points when, IMO, they should be treated much more seriously.

And, of course, when a biker does something stupid, he's mostly only really putting himself in danger, unlike someone in a couple of tonnes of car...

rustyrider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2012, 02:48:13 pm »
Now we've seen if all, as Grahamm says, there's a couple of iffy undertakes and a quick squirt on the downhill stretch approaching the Sawtry turn.  The rest of the time his speed was averaging around the 85-90 mark which, as I've previously mentioned, is the norm on that road.  The only time you see 150+ is when the police bike is giving it some to catch up with him.

Compared to some of the lunatic high speed filtering I see on the A12 driving into London every day, it's model riding!

tommyteeman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Husqvarna 701 sm
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 04 March 2012, 03:18:53 pm »
Hang on...weren't the Police speeding as well? You can't have it all ways...one rule for them and one for us...

And obviously the biker has been through Class 1 Police training...

only through my skill as a driver, and motorcycle rider, have I managed to avoid certain death when faced with the police doing a bit of "training".....country roads, wrong side of the road, blind corner,.....happened to me three times now, only MY quick thinking has saved my life from these "trained" idiots !!!  :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 04 March 2012, 03:47:29 pm »
... though I can't see it on the thread now
It's been edited out and substituted with the fuller version.

Having watched the full video, I think the original reporting is, shall we say, somewhat hyperbolic, words like "horror footage", "maniac" and "lethal" really aren't justified.

Yes, he does stupid undertakes and in a couple of places he's much travelling much too fast and too close to vehicles in blind spots where he'd be in serious trouble if someone else made a manoeuvre, but the impression given in the report isn't really borne out by the evidence.
NO! You don't mean to say that journalists have taken a bit of fact and made up a whole story around it do you?? Gosh you don't suppose they do this sort of thing all the time do you?
And, of course, when a biker does something stupid, he's mostly only really putting himself in danger, unlike someone in a couple of tonnes of car...
I wouldn't like a riderless motorcycle coming at me even if it were a 125!

The only time you see 150+ is when the police bike is giving it some to catch up with him.
When you see 150+ the biker is pulling away from the camera bike.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 04 March 2012, 05:27:45 pm »
happened to me three times now

And how many times with other bikers or drivers?

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 04 March 2012, 05:28:49 pm »
I wouldn't like a riderless motorcycle coming at me even if it were a 125!

As I said: "mostly".

Farjo

• Consultor de administración
  • GP Hero
  • Admin alumni
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 04 March 2012, 06:16:34 pm »
Hmmm...

DryRob

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - SV650s
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2012, 09:29:01 am »
the guys a foccin moron, he's obviously seen anther bike in his mirrors and thought, "Let's see who's got the biggest cock, I bet it's me" the police bike was clearly waiting for him to cross some sort of line with his speed, would be interesting to know how long he was following at 90ish before he decided to take action...
thou shalt not kick

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 March 2012, 07:43:57 am »
what seems idiotic is he accelerated to 150 after he saw a bike in his mirrors ! Up to that point he probably wasnt doing anything too mad, but you know I see this many times when out on my bike. I overtake someone who is cruising at a certain speed...then like some idiot they ride at insane speed just to catch up, overtake me back, then turn off! TBH from my viewing , the daft twat deserves what he got...the first rule of covert speeding is to check yer mirrors and use speed when nobody is around....doing 150 on a busy dual carriageway with an unknown fast vehicle behind is just asking to be pulled in my book...
long ago I gave up on this argument over are limit sfair , should cops be allowed to speed tec...it is what it is....if you want to speed and not get caught , you have to play the game by the rules...observation , observation, observation. The people who get away with it know when to use restraint !

Bracechenko

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 March 2012, 08:33:02 am »
Yep, fair point Pitt....I used to have 12 points at one point and all for speeding....the reason I have none now is because i'm slightly more sensible but also know when to do it (ie, no-one following, no-one around as you've said).

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 07 March 2012, 12:36:55 pm »
Yep he is a dick ,he gives us serial speeders a bad name lol
Its just a ride

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 07 March 2012, 01:07:24 pm »
Bikers own the roads, the sooner people with small willies get over that fact the safer we will all be :pokefun

Seriously though, the copper was observing until he made a bit of a dash, which was unnecessary looking at the traffic conditions. A bit rash, sure, but please let's get rid of all the 'speeding rapes babies' hyperbole. If it was so instantaneously lethal to do speeds of 150mph on a motorbike then the copper following is just as capable of being to blame for something that goes wrong as the civvie in front.

Biker was naughty - got caught - fair enough says I, it's in the rules. Like Graham has mentioned, I have had many more problems with arseholes coming round blind bends on the wrong side of the road whilst texting than I ever have with bikers. You don't see many bikers texting whilst riding do you?

imax

Top Banana
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: 07 March 2012, 02:04:05 pm »
Texting while riding a bike on a busy road

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #40 on: 07 March 2012, 02:23:12 pm »
As a not so experienced rider as some of other posters in this thread & having read through it with great interest I can see that yes he was speeding. not knowing the road I cant comment whether it was "dangerous" but I have to say this and to give him his due, as soon as he was pulled he stopped in a safe controlled way. he didn't try and make a break for it and it wasn't (or didn't appear to be) a full on police chase.

I had to watch that with no sound but is there any commentary from police bike?

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

Chillum

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Currently bikeless
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: 07 March 2012, 06:51:58 pm »
You don't see many bikers texting whilst riding do you?

I sit corrected  :rollin that is one laid back statistic waiting to happen  :eek

Pepy27

• FOC-U Profile Police
    Closet FZ6 Fancier
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Vespa 250GTV & Honda Deauv
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 07 March 2012, 07:54:55 pm »
I too use that section of the A1 quite a bit by bike, scooter and cage.
It is a great piece of motorway but that doesn't give anyone licence to ride at 156mph FFS.......mental
"Poofy" GTV250 Vespa 2007 & Honda Deauville 2008
RIP  Legend.  Marchride Aka Tim
« Reply #27 on: Today at 12:27:46 PM »

Skinbeatersam

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki ZZR 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 07 March 2012, 11:01:27 pm »
You don't see many bikers texting whilst riding do you?

Other than that video of a dude in India (where the rule of the road is might is right, and that's it!!)

I did once witness a learner on a 125 Scooter (open face helmet, apron, one glove off) texting on the A406, in dense, fast moving traffic, between Chingford and Ilford. I found this to be a concern.

I think that is the worst I have ever seen a biker do, compared with the sheer amount of idiots in cages I see doing stupid things.

I did a post on 'Stupid things you see on the road' if you wanna read and comment. Some are very very funny. [size=78%]http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,1096.msg7334.html#msg7334[/size]

steeeve66

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM SD 990, CBR600FS, CB500
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 08 March 2012, 12:31:16 pm »
I just don't think the footage merits the 'horror' tag it's been given - the short burst up to 150 was daft but he didn't appear to be anything other than in control and the road looked open enough to me (and, presumably, to the police bike as well?).
Silly; I'll bet he regretted throwing his license away for such a nothing stretch of road - but the law's the law I guess.

But I still think all the ranting, both here and in the press, badly over the top.
Someone sent me a postcard picture of the earth. On the back it said, "Wish you were here."

Steven Wright