Date: 01-06-24  Time: 13:50 pm

Author Topic: Best Position and Method For Mounting This Helmet Camera  (Read 4053 times)

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Best Position and Method For Mounting This Helmet Camera
« on: 23 November 2015, 10:55:01 am »
Hiya fellas,

Just want to pick your brains as this is the first helmet cam I've had. Work mate moving to Abu Dhabi and clearing/flogging all his gear. Picked up this camera for £20 which is only 5 months old. Seems to be good enough for my needs at a stupid price.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Chilli-Technology-Action-120-Helmet/dp/B00D43I1DS

Now - do most people get the best results from mounting on the side or top of the helmet. Thinking of any turbulence it may cause at 90mph and best imaging for London's packed roads should I need evidence. At the moment it will be mounted with sticky pads and tie wraps to my Shoei GT Air with a light weight lanyard to the chin strap D ring.

All ideas, thoughts and experiences appreciated as always. Essentially its on top or on the side of the helmet.

Cheers  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Best Position and Method For Mounting This Helmet Camera
« Reply #1 on: 23 November 2015, 11:43:53 am »
Thats same as I use, though they seem to have gone up in price a lot since I bought mine!
At first I had it mounted on the handlebars but it wasn't the best place for it, and I now have it mounted on side of my helmet.
Picks up a lot of wind noise no matter where I have it mounted but the picture quality is good enough in daylight but poor when its dark.
I will stick up a picture of it on my helmet ,:eek,  when I get time.
Only thing I find irks me is I cannot seem to set correct date/time, I have tried different ways using vids on youtube for guidance but none seem to work.

Tiercel

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 23 November 2015, 12:30:31 pm »
Side of helmet, anywhere else makes you look like a tellytubby! Or worse one of those permanantly angry lycra clad peddle warriors with a go pro sprouting from their lid, that go around screeching peoples number plates on youtube every time they feel mildly offended by someone.

Ive got a Drift Ghost HD which is a bigger bulkier thing than that one, dont get an problems with turbulance. The built in mic is crap though, nothing but wind noise if youre travelling above 20, but Ive got an external mic tucked away inside my helmet that sorts that problem, dunno if that cam supports external mics but theyre well worth getting if you want to record sound too.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 November 2015, 12:35:20 pm »
I have mine on the top but its a mobius which is fairly low profile vertically.  I wanted to put it on the side as this is where most "vloggers" have theirs but it is almost twice as wide as it it tall.  I made a foam wedge that it sits on so it is not quite as tellytubby esq as say a go-pro.  Doesn't suffer any turbulence but I don't run it with sound recording on.

A sample...

edit: ha, probably not the best sample to give as it is on time-lapse so looks jerky anyway :/
« Last Edit: 23 November 2015, 12:49:36 pm by NorthWestern »
Intentionally left blank

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 November 2015, 01:04:30 pm »
Cheers for that fellas.

Northwesterns video has made me realise that on top is best - couldn't care what it looks like tbh. Realised that if say I mount it on the left side of my helmet then it would never show the initial movement of a car moving up and across me from the right and vice versa. If I've got 120° field of recording then I'm going to use it. Will have a play with the sticky pads for now.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 23 November 2015, 01:30:23 pm »
Here is my "wedge" fitment.  I didn't like the sticky pad with the screw mount as it stuck up an inch or so so made this.

Camera rests on it like so, the shape of the wedge is the same size as the camera so I can quickly mount it and know its in the correct position.

I stick it on with duck tape...

Probably could do a neater job with taping the wedge on and put some sort of strap on to avoid using the tape for the camera itself but it works for me.  This was a quick mount I stuck on when I got this helmet and never really bothered to tidy it up.  Getting the wedge angle was all I was doing really.
Intentionally left blank

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 23 November 2015, 02:05:50 pm »
Looks like an OEM part to me  :pokefun

But, like me - if it does the job that's all I'm after.

Cheers

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 23 November 2015, 03:01:09 pm »
haha, I actually bought some matt black vinyl wrap to make a proper job of it but its just sat in the garage...
Intentionally left blank

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 23 November 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
Right, job done with a couple of sticky pads, tie wraps and fishing line lanyard to D-ring. Tried it on the bike and more by chance the angle is cock on  :thumbup . Resisted the Gaffer tape NW  :pokefun
« Last Edit: 23 November 2015, 10:56:33 pm by Frosties »

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 November 2015, 04:10:43 am »
Does anyone ever worry about landing on their camera one day?
The point load created by the camera body on the helmet would be pretty significant compared to landing on something flat (like a road) and although it's unlikely that you will land square on the top of your head..hey.  And insurance would probably be voided for sticking something to your helmet.  I have read somewhere or other that even sticking stickers on your helmet is a no no (not because it'll actually do anything to the shell mind you, not in real life, but if the manufacturer says no then insurance might cite that and say no too!)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 November 2015, 06:58:07 am »
Very quaint :)
Intentionally left blank

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 November 2015, 01:42:55 pm »
The point load created by the camera body on the helmet would be pretty significant compared to landing on something flat (like a road) and although it's unlikely that you will land square on the top of your head..hey.  And insurance would probably be voided for sticking something to your helmet.  I have read somewhere or other that even sticking stickers on your helmet is a no no (not because it'll actually do anything to the shell mind you, not in real life, but if the manufacturer says no then insurance might cite that and say no too!)
I too always thought that stickers on your lid was a big no-no, somthing to do with the adhesive being bad for the structure somehow, I dont know if this is still the case with modern materials but it definitely was so in the past.

Looking at Northwesterns camera would that not fit perfectly on the boxeye just under the fairing in that little well area
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 November 2015, 02:11:11 pm »
The point load created by the camera body on the helmet would be pretty significant compared to landing on something flat (like a road) and although it's unlikely that you will land square on the top of your head..hey. 

This actually happened to me a few weeks back riding off road on a byway. My camera was mounted on the side of my helmet and I went down quite hard on the camera side pushing it in to the helmet. It marked the helmet slightly but integrity wasn't breached. The large scratch on the camera body is where it hit the ground and the small mark is where it was pushed in to the helmet.
At higher speed on tarmac, it could've been different but I think it would detach itself from the bracket before it penetrated the helmet shell. Who knows for sure ? Interestingly, on a track day I do believe they wont allow a camera fixed on the helmet for this very reason.
« Last Edit: 24 November 2015, 02:20:14 pm by dazza »

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 November 2015, 02:47:22 pm »
I think my neoprene foam pad will protect the camera shunting into the shell as it's quite dense and has a large surface area, the camera will likely collapse/tear off first. 

Intentionally left blank

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 November 2015, 06:50:12 pm »
I have my go pro on the side. I use it mainly for days out more than anything so I'm not really bothered about seeing the road on my right, it picks up the bike, the road, and the pretty views.
I dont really feel the wind, but maybe im not riding fast enough. haha