Date: 01-06-24  Time: 14:39 pm

Author Topic: headlights.... leds,halogens,hids,projectors etc ect  (Read 22024 times)

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
Re: headlights.... leds,halogens,hids,projectors etc ect
« Reply #50 on: 27 November 2015, 07:30:52 am »
Think you boys have missed a trick. Have a look below and skip to 3:40 after the intro  :lol

brilliant thanks, ordered 1 for each side!

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 27 November 2015, 02:20:24 pm »
Indicator question.

As the FZS is going to be naked I've modified most of the loom around the headlight and gauge area, I haven't touched the wiring for the rear indicators although haven't finished the front wiring as not 100% sure on where I'm going to mount them. For the first time since chopping the loom I've tried the lights etc out, all the gauge lamps, headlights etc work but have no power to the rear indicators. The idiot light on the gauges flash but not the rear lamps. Do the front lights need to be connected to complete the circuit?

Also the new indicators are LED, any suggestions on resistors or LED flasher units?
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: 28 November 2015, 05:53:08 pm »
Ignore last text, just going to go h1 both sides, hopefully remove my led spotlights.

If the main beams not bright enough ill switch it for a h4 bulb and just buy the controller.

« Last Edit: 28 November 2015, 06:18:14 pm by Paulfzs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: 28 November 2015, 07:04:26 pm »
Ignore last text, just going to go h1 both sides, hopefully remove my led spotlights.

If the main beams not bright enough ill switch it for a h4 bulb and just buy the controller

How will two H1 bulbs work for an MOT Paul? (I think you need dipped and full beam for an MOT)
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

hmmmnz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: 29 November 2015, 09:52:13 am »
yeah you need atleast a h4.   hid's arn't like halogens, they take quite a while to heat up, and produce light.
so you can't just flick to full beam, it'll stay dark for a few seconds

what you need to do with out wrecking or modifying any of your headlight housing is have
a h4 bi-xenon  which does dipped and full beam via a mechanical arm built into the light bulb
and a h1 that is just on dipped and remains on when flicked to full beam

in this case you are still relying on the fazers reflector, which if its currently crap on your halogen bulbs,
probably isnt going to be much better using hid lamps

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 29 November 2015, 10:01:10 am »
Think I'll just stick to HID's as I get enough light from the one H1 I've got in there at the moment along with a nightbreaker H4 which I'll change to a HID H4 once I source a decent one :)
The added bonus is that I can remove them easily enough to get the bike back to stock if needed.
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 29 November 2015, 10:18:15 am »
so one of these for the main beam side: http://www.innovitedstore.com/Innovited%20photo/ebay/35W%2055W%20bi%20xenon/H4-3%20New%20var%2001.jpg

That's the sort of job I need Paul but like most sellers they only sell them in pairs, you also need a power lead that goes to your battery for an H4 as this is what gives you the main beam.

The light I get from my H1 HID is good enough for me as you've seen, so if I can source a decent H4 I'll be happy as it's just bulb changing really, plus a wee bit of wire routing and ballast fitting :)
« Last Edit: 29 November 2015, 10:19:40 am by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: 29 November 2015, 09:24:46 pm »
Any chance of a mspaint wiring diagram for the h4 high beam?

can i just plug the harness into the looms h4 connector with the  hi/lo controller then plug that into the ballast then put the bulb in?

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: 29 November 2015, 09:29:21 pm »
Any chance of a mspaint wiring diagram for the h4 high beam?

can i just plug the harness into the looms h4 connector with the  hi/lo controller then plug that into the ballast then put the bulb in?
I can't do mspaint on my phone, but if I get your question right.....

the H4 HID is just plug and play as per the H1 except you also need to run a positive and negative wire to the battery or a 'switched' live feed and an earth respectively.
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: 29 November 2015, 10:37:16 pm »
why do i need to add the wires to battery and not direct to the h4 plug :S

like use one of these
http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v0/1836259254_2/2pcs-Simplified-H4-9003-HB2-Hi-Lo-Bi-Xenon-HID-Bulbs-Relay-Harness-Wiring-Controller-4514.jpg

plug the 3 pin into h4 then the hi/lo plug into the hi/lo plug in the projector then the ballast plug to the ballast.

then itll look like this...

« Last Edit: 29 November 2015, 10:47:48 pm by Paulfzs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: 29 November 2015, 11:07:28 pm »
All the places I've Emailed or called, have all  suggested the +/- wiring to power as it reduces the chance of flickering, you are right in your thoughts that it'll work without but it will flicker as the power isn't sufficient enough through the normal wiring as it's a dual element bulb and unlike the H1 bulb in that respect.

Try typing "h4 hid wiring diagram" into Google

All the H4 HID kits I've looked at have all had the extra wiring with an inline fuse, why would you not want to use it?
« Last Edit: 29 November 2015, 11:11:28 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: 30 November 2015, 01:25:01 am »
Got no problem doing that just trying to work out what i actually need, as you can see theres loads of types of wiring harness and my brain has refused to function all week.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: 30 November 2015, 08:59:00 pm »
Got no problem doing that just trying to work out what i actually need, as you can see theres loads of types of wiring harness and my brain has refused to function all week.
In my opinion, which isn't very much :lol
But taking into account of your poor lights (HID'S) you've had I'd try and get one supplier to supply you a full kit i.e. 1 x H1 and 1 x H4 with all the corresponding ballasts and wiring.

I know you've got loads of ballasts and bulbs lying around but your problem may be none are actually compatible with each other. So I'm saying you might need to just put them all to one side and get a set from a supplier.  They're are plenty that will supply you a set like this. The added bonus of doing this, is that, if they fail/don't work the company should help you get it sorted. When you mix and match stuff, no one will stand by the other stuff you got from somewhere else.
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: 30 November 2015, 09:38:38 pm »
im sure its down to my battery being on its way out, plugged into a 22ah and not an ounce of flicker, so going to replace the battery at some point.

the battery does seem a bit weak, previous non hid when the fan comes on the lights all dim.

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: 05 December 2015, 03:34:02 pm »
Fitted my projectors today, had to dremel out the hole on the h1 side, got it all fitted and theyre bright!

Currently using a normal h1 on the main beam side, waiting on the harness with controller for main beam.

I do however still have the flickering problem... but only on the left not right so thats telling me theres an issue with the left wiring harness for the original lighting.
« Last Edit: 05 December 2015, 03:35:08 pm by Paulfzs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: 06 December 2015, 03:07:30 pm »
Fitted my projectors today, had to dremel out the hole on the h1 side, got it all fitted and theyre bright!

Currently using a normal h1 on the main beam side, waiting on the harness with controller for main beam.

I do however still have the flickering problem... but only on the left not right so thats telling me theres an issue with the left wiring harness for the original lighting.
:useless
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: 06 December 2015, 04:25:35 pm »
Soo....

i bought 2.5 inch projectors in h1 form £23 on ebay in the uk for the pair

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331462742506?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

They fit the right side with no modification, easy to fit... the left side needed modification, just dremeled out the hole so it fits.

simply a case of splitting the light in the oven, pushing the back of the projector through the bulb hole and then doing it up.

Fitted nicely however the 2 inch would have been better as i couldn't fit the plastic surround without cutting chunks out of the original reflector which i decided against incase i ever want to change it back.

Pics:

fitted into reflectors

fitted onto the bike: (it definately needs a respray or a good wash)

both projectors and spotlights (spotlights now unwired they arent needed however may wire to a seperate switch)

daytime on:

They where just thrown in and not adjusted when i took this pic but theyre bright!

can see the right hand side one just above the dip beam but its mostly pointing to the left and high.

Currently no main beam option untill my controller arrives so i have dip beam left and dip beam both for now, Not tried it at night yet though.
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 04:26:24 pm by Paulfzs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: 06 December 2015, 04:33:07 pm »
Looking good Paul, a lot better than you had too :)

You could possibly wire your spots to come on with the side lights?
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: 06 December 2015, 04:40:29 pm »

Spotlights are overkill to be honest, just 1 is brighter than main + dip beam on the standard fazer headlights, i used them as an emergency get home once and pointed at the floor and got flashed lol.

I should turn them round... the guy behind me will turn his full beams off then.

Im not sure what ill do with them to be honest, the hid seems more than enough and fills enough of the road to not need to light anymore up.

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: 06 December 2015, 04:59:10 pm »

Spotlights are overkill to be honest, just 1 is brighter than main + dip beam on the standard fazer headlights, i used them as an emergency get home once and pointed at the floor and got flashed lol.

I should turn them round... the guy behind me will turn his full beams off then.

Im not sure what ill do with them to be honest, the hid seems more than enough and fills enough of the road to not need to light anymore up.

Yeah you just want light to see :lol

You mentioned H1's? Are you sticking two of them in or is one an H4?
Did you just put in standard bulbs or the HID's?
You also said about having to cut away the original reflector to fit the shroud, is this because of the length of the projector?
I don't think the shroud makes any difference on the light? (As I think it's just cosmetic)
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 05:04:28 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: 06 December 2015, 06:40:37 pm »
Theyre both h1s and i have h1 hid's fitted to both, the projectors have an electromagnet inside which flips a little piece of aluminium up allowing the light to bounce around the whole reflector so h1 should be fine on both.

The plastic cover is only cosmetic and it wouldnt fit as the 2.5 inch projector takes up most of the reflector space so the surround rubs against the top and bottom of the fazers standard reflector.

The projectors are long but they fit pretty well with room, id say a good inch and half if not more away from the glass on the headlight.

Rough total to get here...

4x 55w ballasts
1x 35w ballast
4x 55w bulbs
1x 35w bulb
3x wiring harness's
2x hid projectors
1x wiring harness with hi/lo controller

I love doing things the hard way!
« Last Edit: 06 December 2015, 06:44:42 pm by Paulfzs »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: 06 December 2015, 07:16:45 pm »
Theyre both h1s and i have h1 hid's fitted to both, the projectors have an electromagnet inside which flips a little piece of aluminium up allowing the light to bounce around the whole reflector so h1 should be fine on both.
H1's aren't dual element bulbs so I can't get it in my head that you'll have full beam, I'll need to wait and see it once you get the wiring harness your talking about

The plastic cover is only cosmetic and it wouldnt fit as the 2.5 inch projector takes up most of the reflector space so the surround rubs against the top and bottom of the fazers standard reflector.
ahh, so it's the width and not the length that's the problem

The projectors are long but they fit pretty well with room, id say a good inch and half if not more away from the glass on the headlight.

Rough total to get here...

4x 55w ballasts
1x 35w ballast
4x 55w bulbs
1x 35w bulb
3x wiring harness's
2x hid projectors
1x wiring harness with hi/lo controller

I love doing things the hard way!

you sure do :lol
Colin
----------------------

hmmmnz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: 06 December 2015, 09:10:51 pm »
I'll count my self lucky that I got it first time,  :lol

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: 06 December 2015, 11:49:53 pm »
the projectors have a flap that opens and closes uncovering the bulb allowing 100% light, basically, dip beam is 3/4 of a h1 hid, and main beam is a full h1 hid.

Theyre plenty bright enough as they are.

Just had a go at adjusting them, should have tried before putting the fairing on but the left one is still pretty heigh so going to have to unscrew it a bit and pull the rear up a bit to drop the light.

I clearly rushed it a bit so it may end up coming off again later today re melted then re-adjusted properly.

other than that, its good.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2015, 01:07:06 am by Paulfzs »