Date: 17-06-24  Time: 12:49 pm

Author Topic: Exhaust upgrades  (Read 5668 times)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
Re: Exhaust upgrades
« Reply #25 on: 04 November 2015, 02:46:58 pm »
Ok so I've ordered a Delkevic tri oval muffler 420mm. There only $290 which seems reasonable to me and I can get it here in Australia. Might be here by the end of the week. Should make things a wee bit louder! :)

Might look at getting my standard downpipes sand blasted and powder coated or something.

forget powder coat, will burn off in seconds
Complete fabrication, I didn't make it up!

Flying_haggis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 November 2015, 08:03:26 am »
Yeah I thought that might be the case. Been doing a bit of reading about ceramic coating, there's a place near me that does it.

Or maybe just some heat resistant paint would be better. Although I tried paint on a car manifold once and it didn't last long.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 06 November 2015, 12:01:45 am »
Yeah I thought that might be the case. Been doing a bit of reading about ceramic coating, there's a place near me that does it.

Or maybe just some heat resistant paint would be better. Although I tried paint on a car manifold once and it didn't last long.
I use granvile cylinder black that gos on a treat with a brush and you go for a spin to get the heat to cure it, drys satin. But it dosent last that long either and starts to flake after about 6 months
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 06 November 2015, 01:48:15 pm »
I wouldn't know where to go or who to ask but I wonder how cheap we could have a set of stainless downpipes and collector's made if we turned up to an exhaust manufacturer with a set of drawings

Theres a lad on the car forum I;m on and he has parts made, sells them just above cost and basically gets his own one free

Just need someone to do the design and people prepared to invest a few quid to get the ball rolling

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 06 November 2015, 03:52:46 pm »
I wouldn't know where to go or who to ask but I wonder how cheap we could have a set of stainless downpipes and collector's made if we turned up to an exhaust manufacturer with a set of drawings

Theres a lad on the car forum I;m on and he has parts made, sells them just above cost and basically gets his own one free

Just need someone to do the design and people prepared to invest a few quid to get the ball rolling
I know a few places as I deliver to them, but individual prices are way too highI'd imagine, don't know what the minimum amount would be but could try and find out at some point.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2015, 03:53:21 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 06 November 2015, 04:16:30 pm »

I know a few places as I deliver to them, but individual prices are way too highI'd imagine, don't know what the minimum amount would be but could try and find out at some point.

If you could find a supply of pre formed bends (providing they are available with the correct radius) at a reasonable price then the material cost could be calculated, whether you could then get them welded and still be under the price of some of the cheaper systems on ebay is another matter

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 November 2015, 05:53:54 pm »
If you could find a supply of pre formed bends (providing they are available with the correct radius) at a reasonable price then the material cost could be calculated, whether you could then get them welded and still be under the price of some of the cheaper systems on ebay is another matter
I wouldn't be finding any supply of pre formed bends :eek
I'd just be taking my set to them to copy and let them figure it out.

I'm not too sure of the 'cheaper versions' as they tend to be cheap for a reason :(
The other problem is those balancing pipes and the bolts on the original, that would up the price doing them, probably why those cheaper ones are cheap, I don't tend to see them on those ones.
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

joebloggs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - ZX9RE1
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 06 November 2015, 06:28:35 pm »
I wouldn't be finding any supply of pre formed bends :eek
I'd just be taking my set to them to copy and let them figure it out.

I'm not too sure of the 'cheaper versions' as they tend to be cheap for a reason :(
The other problem is those balancing pipes and the bolts on the original, that would up the price doing them, probably why those cheaper ones are cheap, I don't tend to see them on those ones.

Only using the ebay pipes for a price guide, if you couldn't have pipes made for less than say £250 you may aswell go with the Motad ones, they've done all the design and development. As for pricing of any of the pipes mentioned, there must be a fair bit of profit built into the price so how much are they costing to build?

I brought a proper roll bar for my Eunos that is tied into the chassis, the lad on MX Nutz designed the bar and farmed out the work, TR Lane sell similar bars over twice the price of the one I purchased but then they are in business and have to make a profit where as my bar was designed by an enthusiast whos mission was to supply the bars to cover the cost of development and the cost of his own bar.

I'm not saying it can definitely be done but it could be an option

Flying_haggis

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 21 November 2015, 09:34:32 am »
So here's what I went with...