Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Clocks
« on: 02 September 2015, 01:59:10 pm »
Anyone know how much of a bind it is to remove the instrument glass?

All of mine have been crappy since I bought it. I can still read the things just fine, but they look shoddy, so would be nice to get them replaced or cleaned. I think the mess is on the inside because nothing I do has any effect on the outside. I can't imagine how they got so bad in the first place.

Pickle

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Clocks
« Reply #1 on: 02 September 2015, 04:09:40 pm »
Has it been clocked in the past by a manky wee grease monkey?

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 September 2015, 10:27:47 pm »
Its a doddle to clean the inside glass (plastic).
Remove the screen, unplug the clock lead (but remember to write down your trip meter reading first because this will be erased). Remove the three mounting bolts and lift off the clocks. Once off turn over (place on a soft surface to avoid scratching the surfaces) and remove the seven screws and you can then separate the front clock case and clean the insides. Takes no time at all. Hope this helps.
Never underestimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

vinnychoff

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Moto Guzzi California II
    • View Profile
    • Ducati 916 blog
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2015, 02:54:29 pm »
as &omly has said. I removed my clocks for the first time to get some spiders out. easy job and i can see the dials easy. i also changed bulbs while out.

SteayEddie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - '94 YZF750R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2015, 04:24:35 am »
Was going to check my bulbs... have a couple that look dim. Any replacement suggestions?

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 September 2015, 11:19:29 pm »
Type this into ebay search '10x Car 0.2W T5 SMD5050 LED White Light Instrument Panel Lamp Bulb+Lamp Holder'. Go for the white ones though. I put them in mine and they're much brighter, great result for under £2. Just remember they're  polarity concious so make sure they're in the right way round and actually light up before you put it all back together. Good luck.

SteayEddie

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • - '94 YZF750R
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2015, 06:35:26 am »
How much of a pain in the ass is it to get at them? Gotta eventually pull them apart... big ol spec of something in the speedo!

Brixmis

• CBT Wobbler
  • Old fart
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 September 2015, 03:04:57 pm »
Once again, my apologies for the belated response to your replies.

Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a go next time I have the top fairing off. I really don't know how they got messed up - it's not scratches, just sort of stains. Must have been something pretty caustic. They actually just look like regular water stains, but obviously not.

Thinking about it, I'll try putting them in my ultrasonic cleaner with some Sea Green.
« Last Edit: 29 September 2015, 03:07:00 pm by Brixmis »

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2015, 09:15:12 am »
Type this into ebay search '10x Car 0.2W T5 SMD5050 LED White Light Instrument Panel Lamp Bulb+Lamp Holder'. Go for the white ones though. I put them in mine and they're much brighter, great result for under £2. Just remember they're  polarity concious so make sure they're in the right way round and actually light up before you put it all back together. Good luck.
Interested in this mod but looking on eBay the ones with holders are weeks away in China....however there is UK stock without holders....just wondered if you felt the holders were necessary?

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 October 2015, 11:56:59 pm »
Just buy the LED lamps. It's a doddle to take out the glass bulbs and fit the LED ones. They are polarity concious but you simply rotate the holder through 180 degrees. There are a couple of UK sellers on ebay that will get them to you in under 5 days for under £3. If you get the square ones they are a tad large for the holes (much brighter though) and will require a bit of judicious filing with an emery board to round off the PCB corners. I'd give you the link to the ones I bought but I can't because I'm at work. If you need the link let me know and I'll post it when I get home.

7omly

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 07 October 2015, 02:30:44 am »
Finally got a signal. Type in 331313799530 in the item search box. These are the ones I bought and were delivered in two days. Good luck.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 09 October 2015, 02:12:17 pm »
All done, my LEDs had square bases but fit in fine if angled slightly as inserted. Four required for illumination, just need to see it in the dark now!