Date: 15-06-24  Time: 22:24 pm

Author Topic: Lowered Rider's footpegs and controls - any ideas please?  (Read 7539 times)

TrukkoMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CrossTourer 1200
    • View Profile
Lowered Rider's footpegs and controls - any ideas please?
« on: 12 February 2012, 10:59:43 am »
Hi Foccers... I need help please. Farjo suggested I post this in the Fazer 1000 corner.  I want to lower and move forward the rider's footpegs and controls but am having difficulty finding suitable parts. Rearsets to move pegs back and down are no problem (e.g. Rizoma), but that's not going to resolve my knee aggro (from too many years of squash). If anyone has done such a mod, I'd be very grateful to hear about it. M&P Direct do lower footrest kits but when I phoned Friday last to enquire about the brake and gear controls to go with a moved peg(s) the chap said "that's up to you, we don't offer anthing on that."  Ideally I'd move the pegs about 50mm forwards and 25mm down. That would require modifying both the controls. Any ideas very welcome.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
Re: Lowered Rider's footpegs and controls - any ideas please?
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2012, 07:55:26 pm »
I have the MFW vario pegs, but I have gone down and back, not forward. I did not have to change any components.

The rear brake had enough adjustment (just, I'm tight to the stop), only problem is because the lever is lower, setting the light was a pain.
The gear shift, being lower, made the linkage hit the foot peg hanger, so I used a dremel and cut out the back of the hanger.

Saved my knees!

Don't forget the vario pegs have no rubber and a slimmer so they start 1cm or so lower than standard.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 12 February 2012, 08:20:26 pm »

« Last Edit: 13 February 2012, 03:42:15 pm by Ghoti »

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 February 2012, 02:01:33 am »
Maybe I'm not thinking right but wouldn't it be much easyer and cheaper to reshape the seat. Refoam to raise hight from pegs and a shaped front part of the seat would sit you further back.
Should be simple to raise 30-35 mm with no noticable down side  could maybe go more but then might need to lower the rear end to compensate then fit sport pegs that are much thiner, that drops them 10 mm I would think again with no real down side.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 February 2012, 11:08:11 am »
As per Ghosty's suggestion, something with a lot more foam like my 'touring seat' may help, providing you're tall enough

TrukkoMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 13 February 2012, 11:48:47 am »
Wow! Thank you guys. That's real food for thought. On Kebab19 and Ghostrider's idea, some year or three ago I LICS'd the seat (gel) but didn't raise the overall height. I could go that route, good idea, whose 'touring seat'?. I'm v. long in the leg so height not a problem. I wonder what forks those are ...R1?  Also Handguards and bar raisers? neat. Whose and did you have to change the cables?

On Ghoti, thanks for getting cold to take the pix. Very helpful. On the brake side, did you get much drop and still miss the pipe?

Thanks again.

Ghoti

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Triumph Speed4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 February 2012, 12:28:37 pm »
Firstly, sorry, I did not read it right.  I thought you wanted to go 5mm forward, not 50mm!

I was going to go either forward or down, but decided that down and back felt best (most open) for the knees.  I also tried the longer adjusters and they were just too long without modifying the actual levers (which I guess is what you are asking for!)

I seem to remember that, with consideration of the rubber bit and thinner pegs etc, the overall drop was just over 1".

On Ghoti, thanks for getting cold to take the pix. Very helpful. On the brake side, did you get much drop and still miss the pipe?

Cannot remember having any problems with the pipe and the pedal is as low as it can go on the thread (or high on the thread to lower the end?), so I guess either the pedal goes beside the pipe or stops above it.  Given the estimated 1" drop in foot pegs, I guess I dropped the pedal 1" too.

TrukkoMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 February 2012, 10:41:08 pm »
Thanks Ghoti...I'm going to have another 'sit on and measure' sesh to see if back and lower does it for me. That will give me more options if it does. Happy Days are a'comin.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 February 2012, 06:30:27 pm »
Hi,
'Glenn's seats' modified mine for under a ton. Can dig out number if you want.

Forks are indeed R1. Handguards are Vstrom650 and worth every penny, I can ride 5 times the distance before my hands go numb. Bars are renthal 758s, risers are from a Virago 250(!) and plenty of 25 mm riser extenders on ebay.
No cable changes necessary, although I had aftermarket braided front hoses to start with. Just a case of rotating switchgear to suit

TrukkoMan

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2012, 11:48:14 am »
Thanks Kebab19. Much appreciated.