Date: 17-06-24  Time: 11:26 am

Author Topic: Blue headlights  (Read 6864 times)

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
Re: Blue headlights
« Reply #25 on: 18 February 2012, 02:43:25 pm »
"cool" (blue!)

When I took the old lamps out I noticed that one of the fliaments on the RHS head light was rolling around the bottom of the lamp. Must have been the dip beam,,

Lets see how it goes.

Major Rant

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 18 February 2012, 06:08:37 pm »
Major: I don't understand, why not have the left beam on all the time?

Because after you've adjusted it to point straight ahead you wouldn't want it still lit when you're supposed to be on dip beam.
In any case; seeing what's on the road 20 meters ahead isn't the problem. One filament is good enough for that.
Its spotting deer in the undergrowth that's the problem. :eek

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 19 February 2012, 09:01:32 am »
Major: I don't understand, why not have the left beam on all the time?

Because after you've adjusted it to point straight ahead you wouldn't want it still lit when you're supposed to be on dip beam.
In any case; seeing what's on the road 20 meters ahead isn't the problem. One filament is good enough for that.
Its spotting deer in the undergrowth that's the problem. :eek

I guess you must live in a more remote area or ride at quieter times than me. As a shift worker half my riding is at night, but there is still enough traffic that I rarely have the opportunity to use main beam for more than a few seconds at a time... a good dip beam is far more important from my point of view.
I agree deer are a menace though, one ended my brother's motorcycling... and I was glad the snowy weather caused me to use the cage a couple of weeks back:

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 19 February 2012, 10:52:09 am »
Yum, bambi burgers!

xrigger

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 19 February 2012, 12:22:12 pm »
Down in darkest cornwall virtualy no street lighting and road markings are generaly covered in mud. Soon as your lights go on they seem to be absorbed by the bushes, hedges and trees, hence the need for good lighting.
Also in recent years,  the deer have become so common they almost graze like cattle in the fields. Very dodgy at night, there have been lots of incidences just recently. Do Halfords do a clip on body heat detector ?

Lumpy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Blackbird XX-W, XS1100E
    • View Profile
visibility
« Reply #30 on: 20 February 2012, 09:53:04 am »
I use yellow H4 bulbs in mine as it differentiates from the normal car light colours. If another orad user doens't look it won't make a blind bit of difference. Blue bulbs will normally fail an MoT too if the tester finds them too blue. HID is the way to go illegal or not and an MoT tester will rarely fail a bike on having HIDs fitted.

JZS 600

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - VFR 1200 FD
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 23 February 2012, 06:41:21 pm »
Well I can't really say for certain but it seems like the cars I'm filtering through on the way to work seem to notice a little more and some even move over slightly... Could be psychosomatic but...